• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WOW that hurt! Guess I should've fixed that!

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have had stray voltage in my system for some time now. I found out accidentally when I went to change my filtersock in bare feet on the concrete basement floor. I have not found the culprit yet due to lack of time, occasionally I am reminded of it with a slight tingle usually on a cut usually only when in my socks. Well tonight I knew I needed to go deep into the sump so I put my shoes on and went to change my overflowing filtersock. I have done this probably a couple hundred times in the last 4 years with no problem, except for tonight :cower:. While I was moving the overflowing sock, it hung up on a piece of rock in the sump and spilled on top of my sneaker drenching it and the floor. The problem is that my hand was still deep into the sump and the stray voltage found me! That was a big jolt, but it didn't hurt, I could actually hear the current. I let out some words that I shouldn't use on the forum and walked away leaving the sock off for the night and feeling lucky/scared!.....Then the pain hit. DAMN this hurts. My wrist is killing me and the top of my foot hurts too

Guess I should investigate

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Dude - That is no joke - really. This is scary. Find the leak and be safe.

Suny

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don, this is serious stuff. The tingle tells you to LOOK AT ME NOW!

Glad you are OK.

Start unplugging to find the culprit. I’d start with your heaters. They are always on the top of my list. Find it and get it out!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don, this is serious stuff. The tingle tells you to LOOK AT ME NOW!

Glad you are OK.

Start unplugging to find the culprit. I’d start with your heaters. They are always on the top of my list. Find it and get it out!
+1 I would suggest the same tactic. I recommend doing it ASAP too.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Since I haven't had my hands in the sump for a while, I never looked into this. Well, tonight I may have found the culprit. I needed to unplug a wire but wasn't sure which plug so I started tracing wires from the power strip. When I tugged on one wire it felt VERY light. I pulled on it a little more and nothing was on the end of it!!! :eek: Yes it was still plugged in and there was nothing on the end. WOW

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Since I haven't had my hands in the sump for a while, I never looked into this. Well, tonight I may have found the culprit. I needed to unplug a wire but wasn't sure which plug so I started tracing wires from the power strip. When I tugged on one wire it felt VERY light. I pulled on it a little more and nothing was on the end of it!!! :eek: Yes it was still plugged in and there was nothing on the end. WOW

wow... not cool!

atleast all is safe and nothing came of it. that's just insane though!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WOW! WOW Don….this has been like three months. You are lucky!..... For you and your tank.

Glad that you found the problem.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bout time you figured it out! LOL.

How are the frags doing by the way? Everything make it since the meeting?

Just my 2 cents, but you should always be plugged into a GFI receptacle and have a ground probe installed for your own safety and at a bare minimum a GFI receptacle. Water and electricity are just a bad combination.

Glad your ok though.

My heaters make me nervous because i had a similar issue during initial setup. I use my controller and my heaters only get power for a certain temperature range. Definitely saved my butt.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My heaters make me nervous because i had a similar issue during initial setup. I use my controller and my heaters only get power for a certain temperature range. Definitely saved my butt.

Heaters on my main system are controlled. I need to rehab my display so I set up a cube to hold a few coral. Did not have the luxury of a controller for it. :(

Sorry to hear about this. How did the livestock turn out? I play Russian roulette everyday with this heater. I Can't wait till that group buy comes in.