• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoa and Bryopsis

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a Rasta with 18 heads on it. Got it about 2 weeks ago and has been in QT since I bought it. It has been dipped in CoralRx and Bayer when received from R2R live sale. It kept growing algae and I would toothbrush it off outside the qt tank and place back. I didn't touch it for 5 days and I can see now that it is Bryopsis. It intertwined with the zoa growth. How do I get rid of Bryopsis? Is Reef flux the only way?

Thanks!

Do a hydrogen peroxide dip. zoas are the easiest to dip in peroxide. 3 mins and the bryopsis will just come off with a little scrubbing. (i do this to every zoa i buy even if I don't see algae as it could even help kill off pests the regular dip didn't)

What's not 100% clear in that thread is whether that guy needed to go with fluconazole (Reeflux) in the end anyway. It would be interesting to see what the final outcome is since a bunch of the comments were basically "You can get a lot of it off initially by peroxide and scrubbing, and if that doesn't work or it comes back, you go with fluconazole."

By the way, what's your hesitation with the fluconazole? I've done it a couple times so far and I felt like it's one of the few things in the hobby that worked great for me with no observable downside.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
No hesitation in using fluconazole in the QT. Just didn't know if there was something else that would kill the bryopsis on the frag.

No hesitation in using fluconazole in the QT. Just didn't know if there was something else that would kill the bryopsis on the frag.
Got it. I guess if it's caught early enough and just on one frag, a peroxide dip and scraping might be preferable to treating the whole tank. I just know that I've had it in the whole tank before and then it's a serious PITA and no clean up crew (or fish) touches it. Then Reeflux is the only solution.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
Off topic, but what's your coral qt set up? I am going to start getting new fish again (hopefully) so will need a separate coral qt and I am low on space. I've never really qt'd coral before, but I want NO problems in the new build.

Off topic, but what's your coral qt set up? I am going to start getting new fish again (hopefully) so will need a separate coral qt and I am low on space. I've never really qt'd coral before, but I want NO problems in the new build.
You should keep it as simple as possible. Some powerheads, light and the tank. That's it. You could get a six line wrasse to have some nutrients and help with eating pests (but you'd obviously need to use cycled media or cycle the tank first)
You can make frag racks out of egg crate if you wanna save money

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Honestly I would either frag it to a size with no bryopsis or toss it. Not worth is getting into your system for some Rasta zoas. If you get rid of it, I can cut you some for free.

Honestly I would either frag it to a size with no bryopsis or toss it. Not worth is getting into your system for some Rasta zoas. If you get rid of it, I can cut you some for free.
She said it's only on the zoas. Peroxide dip will completely kill it. I cleared bryopsis from my tank by simply brushing the areas it grew in, with a toothbrush and some peroxide. Never came back

eholceker

NJRC Member
If you have a heavy dominated sps tank don't ever use Flucanozole in it. With zoos just dip them in peroxide. Lettuce Nudi's work also.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Got to dipping it today.

I got a my second covid vaccine on Thursday evening. Woke up at 4AM with a fever. Friday with 102-104 temp for 24 hours. Every muscle in my body ached. Fever went down on Saturday to 100. Now normal. Glad that is over. Hope the future booster shot has no side effects :eek2:

Bot587

NJRC Member
Diana, Just wanted to follow up to see if the Peroxide worked.

I have used reef flux 3 times in the last 6 years to fight off bryopsis that made it in on frags. I will say it never caused a problem (and this is in my display [mixed reef]).

Peroxide is a strong oxidizer and will kill any algae / bacteria (good/bad)

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I would spot dose the h202 directly, I do this in my reef also. I turn off the power heads, I think the timer I have set is 10 minutes. If there is a lot, pull off what you can manually. Using a 1ml dropper I apply directly to the the algae. When dealing with frags, I’ll use just 1ml on something of that size. In the reef the algae will turn whit, die and break off over the next day or so. crabs and snails will eat it if it stays connected. Depending on the algae type like bryopsis, it may have to be applied a couple times. Since yours in in qt, taking it out and using a toothbrush with h202 works really well. I keep 12% available for use with my oxydator, so that is what I use.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Diana, Just wanted to follow up to see if the Peroxide worked.

I have used reef flux 3 times in the last 6 years to fight off bryopsis that made it in on frags. I will say it never caused a problem (and this is in my display [mixed reef]).

Peroxide is a strong oxidizer and will kill any algae / bacteria (good/bad)
It did work! Dipped the zoas for 5 minutes and rinsed.

Attachments

• F1ED22CA-C41F-4C6A-A297-5F92C8AC6929.jpeg
    F1ED22CA-C41F-4C6A-A297-5F92C8AC6929.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 9