• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
looks great James
may need a lid for that anthias though....

was just looking at my tank wondering how I could do a lid if i need one. I still have my glass lid but not sure that will work with my hob fuge. Thinking of some egg create or something like that. I also seen those screen tops but I have too much junk that I'm concerned it will cost too much to get one made

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well didn't order the nems I really wanted (wasn't spending that much money for them) but I did order a pink rock nem and a branching hammer from @PacificEastAquaculture Def check out their selection cause they have tons of stuff I wish I could buy lol.

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 4.09.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 4.13.07 PM.png

was just looking at my tank wondering how I could do a lid if i need one. I still have my glass lid but not sure that will work with my hob fuge. Thinking of some egg create or something like that. I also seen those screen tops but I have too much junk that I'm concerned it will cost too much to get one made
Try a thin piece of plexiglass (available at Lowes or HD In the doors & windows aisle) and cut out it to size, including the appropriate cutouts. It's clear and your fish will stay inside.

Sent from my shoe phone using Tapatalk while in The Cone of Silence

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have the glass lid for this tank (just not sure about the cut outs) but the problem with glass lid or solid lid like that is they trap the heat and gas exchange. Also if you don't clean them well they can get foggy and mess with the light. Now *knock on wood* I have not had a jumper. Even my 54 when I ran it I was open top with no issues.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Question for you guys. So I have my 36g tank with the following stock. Before I move forward I am torn and want to know what everyone things.

Current Stock:
  • 4 turbo snails
  • 1 Flurry Clown
  • 1 Condy nem
  • 2 rock nems
  • 1 Hammer

Now I was planning on making this a nem tank. Mainly because its only going to be temporary until I get a house and get a larger system running (which might be a year or so).

Still want to add:
  • Bubble tip nem (1 or 2 at least)
  • Another clown
  • Maybe 3 anthies (I liked my purple queen but he didn't make it)
  • A fire shrimp or a cleaner shrimp

Now yesterday my mom said "when are you going to add corals that look like rocks?" I asked (and showed her) if she meant SPS corals and she said yes. I wasn't thinking of adding SPS to this tank but I been thinking more and more that I might want to. I know this opens up a whole new game with this tank plus I need to be concern with the nems but think the bubble tip and condy will stay on one side.

Do note I am not running a skimmer and don't plan on running a skimmer (but that could change). Lighting isn't a problem cause I have my Kessils. I don't really want to test/dose for SPS but I could do it. I do have a fug going but I have no macro algae yet (hoping to get some soon).

Question:
  1. Continue with nem tank?
  2. Start adding SPS?

Do note that when I do get my larger tank up and running I could always move corals over there.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
ok well I been having issues with keeping fish in this tank. I will need to start testing again to see what is going on. I have a Flurry Clown that been in the tank for 2 months and 5 days without any issues but I lost two baggai cards (one after a couple of days in the tank and the other was in the tank for 25 days) I also lost an anthis as well but forget how long he was in the tank. My nems are doing well and so is my hammer

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Man I wish I took a picture

Last night I was looking at my tank and it finally getting back to the point of enjoying it.

I had an real bad case of the ugly phase.
I have lost 3 fish during this stage as well (my flurry clown still going strong)

I increase my CUC with more snails and hermits

I added micro to my fug
I added a bag of GFO to my fug
I increase the flow
I added a in tank filter (noticed a lot of junk flying around the tank that my fug pump wasn't picking up)
Been doing weekly water changes

Last night the sand looked very clean and there isn't much left on the rocks. I'm still going to wait on adding anymore fish cause I'm going to slowly pull back a little. I want to do every other week water changes and if the tank still looks good during that change I am going to pull out the GFO and maybe change the in tank filter to a new hob filter that I saw which has a skimmer built into it

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well I don't have any pictures yet but it been awhile since I updated this thread. This morning I was looking at my tank and it looked cloudy/dirty. I am working on getting my water nice and clear so today I hooked up my UV filter. I also have an in-tank filter, which the filter needed to be replace, that I removed the cover and carbon from the filter leaving just the plastic inner part and then wrapped it in poly-fil. Also my ATO been making me mad cause its not working correctly. I am figuring it due to the fact that I don't have a sump so my sensor is in DT which my wave makers making it hard to tell the correct level. I placed an order with Amazon and decided to give this a try. I am going to put the sensor in side the box and the box should prevent the water from rocking.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 6.59.53 PM.png

The live stock is in limbo. Nothing is really growing but its not dying either. My two fish (clown and coral beauty) seems to be doing fine. I'm hoping once I get the water nice and clear the nems will fully open and the hammer will start growing.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So after adding the diy pol-filter pad to my in-tank filter and adding the UV to my tank the water is crystal clear again.

I am happy I went with this pol-fil. $4 for this bag full
IMG_20170714_140014.jpg
IMG_20170714_140034.jpg

I also blame @Mark_C and his wonderful deal for our meeting on me adding my second Kessil A150 light to my tank. I just ordered some nice zoas and hopefully they will do well in this tank. I might end up going mix reef again cause I'm feeling the bug for some SPSs lol
IMG_20170714_140025.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok guys. Looking for some advice. My brother, mom, and other family members have been bugging me to add more fish to this tank. My goal was to keep this tank limited on fish and heavy on nems but that seems to be changing as I add more and more corals. I don't want to add too many more fish but I am thinking a school of 3 or 4 fish would be good. This will gives the look they are going for but still be a small number of fish for me. I have a flurry clown and a coral beauty currently in the tank. I want something that is colorful and swim in groups. I also don't want to drop big money because I am focusing on getting a house. Any one have suggestion on 3 to 4 colorful schooling fish that I can add to this tank? I would like to try and stay under $100 total for those fish.

Thanks

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
What size is your tank? 2 Zebra Barred Dartfish are hardy and will school in tank.