• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

29gallon newbie

timdmb said:
so im still leaning towards a pair of clowns, just curious cuz i read something somewhere where theyll slowly kill the hammer coral if they do host it... anyone have any experience with this? also how do you sex the clowns? does it go by size?

Try to get them both as small as possible. This way they should have no sex when you get them, and one will become male while the other, female. If they do host in the hammer it should be okay. The hammer should get used to it. For a while it might retract while they are in it.

thanks killa i think this is the way im gonna go, it will be interesting to watch the whole process... next question though im sure everyone is sick of my questions by now... what are some corals that are more nocturnal that i could enjoy in the night?

first off on the clowns - it is by no means an assured thing that the clowns will take to any coral...especially the small ones that are tank bred...my ocellaris (or it could be a percula...i never could figure out which was which) loved the SEIO pump for like the first year...it wasn't until later she (pretty sure she's a she now) decided the Frogspawn coral would do.

in terms of night corals - the only one I can think of is a sun coral - but you have to be diligent in making sure it is fed. I'm sure there are others -but my experience is limited.

could anyone point me in the direction of where i should buy the oscellaris preferably tank bred... id like two small ones.. is liveaquaria reliable?

any chance you could hop across the outer bridge and then go up rt1 to Aquatic Obsessions? Last time he had them in stock from a local breeder here in nj. I'd be concerned about shipping in this weather.

hey phil thanks for pointing me towards aquatic obsessions; i had a very good experience; bought up two of those tank bred false percs; everything else in the store looked nice; the staff was good to talk to as well; ill be making return trips in the future.. thanks again

aw man - I forgot to tell you - sign up for njrc membership...if you go back to AqOb in the future -they'll apply a discount...you should make up your membership fee in notime...

Anyways - glad you liked it...there are some real die-hard supporters/fans on this site.

Now we'll have to see pics!

pics comin soon, as well as njrc membership.... i didnt realize i could take care of it there... i actually may be going back tuesday i was told a shipent of ora corals were on there way in

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
timdmb said:
pics comin soon, as well as njrc membership.... i didnt realize i could take care of it there... i actually may be going back tuesday i was told a shipent of ora corals were on there way in

You can't sign up for NJRC membership at the store. The store just offers a discount to club members. Membership can be done online through the link on the homepage or in person at any of the monthly meetings.

so ive had a brief absence from the boards mostly becuase ive spiraled into a deep depression from the "disaster" my tank crashed after superbowl, i was away a few days, asked my roomate to keep an eye on it and turn the lights on and off, well he turned everythign off, so no lights, no skimmer, no water movement for about 3 days... needless to say i came back to a funk mess. Deaths include: starfish, one half the hammer, most of the polyps on the colony of zoas maybe 20 lived of about the 60 or so... im still working on the water quality... im gonna do yet another water change today, take some readings tommorow and see where im at... the fish look great however and i came back to pods running around allll over, i also saw a worm, but once i started cleaning out the tank hes disapeared... such a disapointment becuase when i had left the tank was really starting to go go goo... and now im back to square one.... ughhh...

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I'd HIGHLY recommend automating your lighting process. timers are about $7 at the home depot or lowes and do a great job of not only keeping things consistent, but also avoiding these types of issues.

Sorry to hear of your losses. At least the fish made it, though!

I second Subliminal's advice. I have always had my lights on timers.

You need to have someone who knows how to "top off" the tank as well when you go away. Evap is a mother!

lesson learned unfortunately there were losses, anyone know anyplace i can find information on how to frag zoa's id like to take the "good ones" off the rock i have and try and get em on one plug...

Bummer sorry to hear it dude. I would just try to get any dead matter out if possible and not stress out what is still living on the rocks, in my very humble opinion. Someone else says something different then go with them. Timer is really important and even the multiple cycle ones only cost 30 bucks or so. I realized when I went on vacation that I had to do the timer thing....sorry I know is 20/20 but look at it this way it is better for the corals to have a standard cycle too so going forward it is better. I would suggest water changes on a more regular basis to get all the organic matter out of the tank that you can.

things are beginning to look better but not even close to how the tank was looking, i guess its just gonna tank time and water changes... oh and one more addition to the list of dead things i had a whole colony rock of bullsyeye shrooms... that melted away, really i dont think it would look so bad if i could just get rid of the dead zoas. but i dont i dont wanna get rid of the whole rock since there are some living still and opening up and even there colors are coming back, the hammer coral is looking much fuller today the gsp color isnt what it was but the pollyps are coming back out again more the elephant ear actually looks better now than how it was lookin...

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't get rid of the "dead zoas". Those things have been known to survive days on end in a thermos traveling around the US. Give them some time. Even if they don't live, they'll take back over that rock in no time. Hang in there.