• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

29gallon newbie

i am going to go on the hunch (regarding your astreas) that they died of starvation...at least judging by when you introduced them on 12/12/07...the tank was pretty bare and likely too early to intro the crew. oh well...how about an updated pic...it's like 2 months anniversary now. ;D

day 1:
PB130476.jpg

day 7:
PB270483.jpg

1 month:
PC120496.jpg

PC120497.jpg

6 weeks:
P1090540.jpg

2+ months:
P1260578.jpg

nice! at this point - just watch your alk/calcium parameters...with those in control -you should see your coralline algae populate relatively quickly. Looks good!

thanks phil... just a side not since i rscaped, the gramma has been darting in and out of the rocks all day spending a ton of time in front of the tank... bonus

correction: he was darting in and out of the rockwork but he found another cave where i couldnt find him for the last day or so.. anyway it was difficult to feed him before and now it was even more diffeicult, moral of the story he died today, no visible damage, no spots, i did notice a slight breathing change today, parameters all in check did a water change anyways as per my protocol for dead fish, everything else looks healthy in the tank i think it was a matter of starvation...

wow that is strange - sorry to hear about it.

did it eat at the LFS where you purchased it? If you didn't observe that - it's possible it wasn't net caught...

anyways - sometimes when that happens to me, I first mentally note where I got it from (as perhaps I would want to switch) and then mentally jot down the conditions that it occurred...it sounded like you did your research and did your best...

it seemed to eat at the lfs, i mean there was no rockwork so it waqs in the center of the tank acepted food readily, just once he got in to the tank in the rockwork it was tuff to get him out even with food in the water column, i dunno its disapointing really nice looking fish... i dont think ill attempt another gramma until the tank is really mature and theres enough pods running around for it

btw- the lfs i got it from i had swore off a long time ago, i just happened to stop in and the fish suckered me in... dohhhh...

You should get a couple nice schooling fish that will swim on the upper part of the tank like a couple cardinals or something. You have done a nice job filling in what structure you have, it is different but it grows on you. ;)

most cardinals tend to be jumpy from my understanding, ive been thinking about fish alot lately i just dunno what way to go, i thought the gramma would work out, any other suggestions? maybe a pair of clowns? or a flame angel?

btw - that sandsifter...is it necessary to provide any extra "food"? Serpent stars I had enjoy a nice cube sized meal at lights out...I just dunno about sand sifters...

once a week i spot feed him a few mysis shrimp... seems content, he'll cover it with his mouth and stay there for a long time then dig down into the sand for a day or so after, the second i think he ight b slowing down or seem to be starving im going to trade him off... but for now its working out very well..

timdmb said:
most cardinals tend to be jumpy from my understanding, ive been thinking about fish alot lately i just dunno what way to go, i thought the gramma would work out, any other suggestions? maybe a pair of clowns? or a flame angel?

The tank looks great so far. My vote would be for the pair of Clowns...

I would use feng shui on second thought, your tank is sorta long so maybe a pair of firefishes?
Of course clown fish will earn you points with wives, girlfriends, and kids.

You have done a really great job keep it up.
If you want a nasty bully bicolor pseudocromis I have one ;).
I fear he ate my three peppemint shrimp already.

thanks everyone number one for all the great input and number two for all the great compliments, ive scratched the cardinals off the list.. i just dont really like there appearances.. so its still down to the firefish and the clowns... i think the flame angel might not be the best idea... even tho this is the second fish i had become fascinated with (see where it got me last time... anyway reading is paramount so im gonna go do that

timdmb said:
thanks everyone number one for all the great input and number two for all the great compliments, ive scratched the cardinals off the list.. i just dont really like there appearances.. so its still down to the firefish and the clowns... i think the flame angel might not be the best idea... even tho this is the second fish i had become fascinated with (see where it got me last time... anyway reading is paramount so im gonna go do that

You might be able to pull a Cheurb Angel off in that tank. I did for about a year.

so im still leaning towards a pair of clowns, just curious cuz i read something somewhere where theyll slowly kill the hammer coral if they do host it... anyone have any experience with this? also how do you sex the clowns? does it go by size?