• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

29gallon newbie

honestly - I like to think that I am not the most competent reef keeper and while the hammer and frogspawn were fine-I never could keep my torch happy. So personally I am not going to speak for the coral -but as they are the same genus - it makes sense that they could be kept together in close proximity. Whether they thrive in the tank is to be determined.

phil... amongst everyone else thanks for taking some interest in the thread, hopefully as i learn more ill be able to generate a little more discussion and others can take from it here and there, njrc has been an excellent resource for me

They should do fine together. Just don't let any sweepers touch each other. I'd steer clear from most SPS's right now. Most can be tough to keep. I tried a leather in that tank at one point. It just got messy with all of the LPS's I had. If I could do it again (in that tank) I would try to stack the rock higher with more caves towards the bottom. It was tough because the distance from front to back is so short in the 29. The tank I have now is wider from front to back so I was able to make lots of caves for my Bartlett's, and stack the rock 3/4 of the way up the tank. Also, I found that in the 29 I had to have the rock touch the side glass to get the 1.5 LBS per gallon I was looking for. This is why some people choose to go with 40 gallon breeder tanks.

i know i probably could use some more rock but i dunno how to go about adding it now that th tank is already up and going, and i have inhabitants, also i was trying to steer clear of having any of the rock on the glass, it just makes me anxious, even stanking too high

does anyone know of a good article that talks about the typical algal bloom cycle that is seen in new tanks? im beggining to see a bright gren algae growing on the rocks...

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like the start of hair algae. I'd increase your CUC before it gets any worse.

any suggestions as to what to add? btw using distilled water only phosphates barely detectable any idea what else may be causing this? what are some other types of green algae that it may be?

after thinking a lil i am using carbon in the sump im going to remove it ASAP and replace, its been in since the initiation of the tank, maybe this will help as well

Very good idea. I change my carbon every couple of weeks and my phos remover every couple of months....reminds me it is about time for that too thanks :). I like a diverse bunch for the CUC...snails just get what mix you like I think..turbos are great and last but they all perform some function so a little diversity is good. Hermits and crabs will get some people going. Hermits are safer...crabs are hit or miss. I know in my tank I have a coral crab somewhere ....see him with the flashlight ocasionally but just catch him cleaning so not a problem. Emerald crabs are good if you have bubble algae, if not don't bother IMO they are hassle. Cleaner shimps like peppermint (cheapest) or others are safe. I have an urchin and a sea cucumber in my group ...they have been hardy and very helpful.

timdmb said:
any suggestions as to what to add? btw using distilled water only phosphates barely detectable any idea what else may be causing this? what are some other types of green algae that it may be?

The algae in your tank could be taking up all of the PO4 so therefore it is not detectible. Try to run carbon and TLF Phosphate Reactor if possible. Foods can contribute to adding PO4. Try not to overfeed, and don't feed flake.

ok so first things first ive removed the carbon, next im going to test everything.... everything... ill see where i stand and go from there... i only feed mysid shrimp thus far, although i will be starting to feed zooplankton occassionally... btw just found a dead snail.... ruhroh

ok so the results are in:

PH 8.2
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
sp gr 1.025
74 degrees
phosphates 2
calcium 380
dKH 11

OK so phosphates killing a snail? am i missing something? the only thing i can reason is a few days ago i did have a temperature swing (drastic like from 76 to 70 maybe even lower for all i know through the night) i was able to gradually bring it back up to 74 wheres its remained since (altho im still struggling a lil a night im noticing a slight drop maybe a degree or 2)... question is where do i begin? i have about 2 gallons of carib sea water, i was figuring two gallon water change, i also have a bottle of phosbuster pro... water change plus the phosbuster? right now i pulled the carbon out, should i add more? also as far as the calcum is concerned i was thinking of using purple up, any comments suggestions, please some guidance would be appreciated... gramma is looking healthy(altho seen a lil less in the last two days), i have a halloween hermit who ive noticed in the last few days become less active (altho i have a smaller hermit who seems to be thriving right now) starfish looks good been all around the tank upon inspection i found one more snail who may be dead or dying at least, the rest are as active as they alwyas have been, i do notice what may be a little hair algae on m gsp rock (possibly the initial culprit of bringing me the dreaded stuff)... lastly its in my opinion that the gsp looks "less happy" was thriving very much so, now i cant put my finger on it but its just not as vibrant as it was (was begging to look like a very lush bright lawn with polyps seeming getting longer daily) elephant ear remains the same to me maybe if even the very slightest dulling of color(i think its in my head tho) and not as open as it has been but it seems to be open more at different times of the lighting cycle.... anyway these are all my observations can anyone point me in some direction?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I find Turbos/Mexi turbos best for cleaning the rock (along with some blue leg hermits). Is the green flat, or fuzzy? Any chance at a picture?

P1240565.jpg

P1240567.jpg

P1240562.jpg

Best i could do no pro with the camera on the tank yet, the stuff looks flat to me not fuzzy like a hair, the stuff growing on the gsp rock i couldnt get, but that doesnt look like hair algae ive seen it looks like leaves almost but its stick straight out kinda like a fern not moving in the current at all, i dunno best i could describe it for now at least

acclimating inverts is important - if you did not drip it acclimate - there is a possibility the snail suffered some kind of shock and just slowly died. Just a possibility.

You could stand some more calcium. My GSP like flow have you changed that at all? Turbo are very good. I think naturally you lose some snails over time....as I understand it the warmer the water the higher metabolism/shorter life of the snail. I would replace the carbon and get a phos reducer....I don't remember your filtration honestly anymore but in the nano tanks it is easier to suck some of the baddies out with carbon/phos reducing things....I have always found the replacement of them is benificial to my corals ....as are water changes. Us nano guys have to keep up on it. Mininum weekly and at least 3 10% IMO.

phil- defintly a strong possibility however ive had these snails for awhile i did add a few in later on, some i did acclimate some i didnt... the ones i didnt were prolly the first batch... hopefully thats the case, what are your thoughts on the current phosphate level (ro/di isnt in the picture just yet tho it will be in the future) is phosbuster pro ok to use (never liked the idea of adding chemicals to a tank) also using purple up as a way to raise the calcium, is this acceptable, ive reasd many favorable reviews of this product... i will replace the carbon as noted, filtration wise i have a sea clone running in sump, ive been doing 20% changes monthly(which im do for), however being that im getting 0's on all the major culprits of poor quality water could it be the gramma i introduced about a week ago brought something with it? as i said thought it seems to look healthy in my opinion no heavy breathing not rubbing itself on rocks, its naturally a hider but does come out feeding time and occasionally when the lights are on it spend time hanging out in his corner, so i really dont think theres anythign going on with him... funny im slightly meticulous i guess and observe all changes as much as possible, the pictures dont do it total justice theres more green in real life, i sware... lol

Hmmm...not sure if high phosphates would be considered a culprit for killing a snail...if anything, it may inhibit some calcium uptake. Also as noted previously - we really have no idea the lifespan of the snails in aquaria. I have (still do) some astreas that are 3 plus years old - but I had a lot of other snails go up to the big reef sky (wherever it is they go) much sooner.

To counter phosphates, you'll want to figure out what is going into the tank - could be food not eaten, water quality is off, maybe the ro/di.

Are you purposely keeping the temp at 74? Seems kinda low to me...I personally would do 78~80 - but i'm sure others have it set differently.

Never used purple up for calcium addition. I would think a two-part dosing for a nano might work)- I dunno. If I did I wouldn't be in the market now for a ka-reactor (overkill for your setup if you ask me). ::)

Overall i wouldn't sweat the loss of a snail - unless it was occurring frequently.