• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

This will be my kalk container for both QT and display. The have those metal air tight lids which should be ideal for kalk. I have 3 of these containers and have 65 gallon I can use later if needed

20220821_191256.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Genius!

I have done this to build a scape but didn't think to do it to be able to move a frag/colony!

Genius!

I have done this to build a scape but didn't think to do it to be able to move a frag/colony!
Yeah it gives me the option to change up the tank and remove incase I put something in the wrong spot - Or just remove the need to acclimate them on the glass with a frag rack! I prefer the look when all the corals are the same or similar size so soon as something gets too big I can easily remove and carefully frag. I think doing it in the tank (fragging) I end up with a million pieces on the barebottom and just do too much damage. I do want fatter branched acros, something that is not brought in anymore and I can't stand that its all about overpriced tenuis. So if you know anyone with Spathulatha, shaggy stags, and acros humilis, let me know

Need some suggestion. I just set it for 100ml per 24 hour and it doses continuous 4-5 ML per hour. The Alk droped to 6.9 DKH so yesterday night I increased to 150 ML per day. I'll test my alk tonight and see if it increases or not. I forgot the rule on PH increase per dose but this is the cause of concern. I dont want to dump 50ML and have the PH go up too fast. The issue is since I am dosing it so slowly and continuously I am not seeing any PH benefit. My PH is staying stable at 8 I believe since its a very slow drop the PH is not really going up.

In what increments should I be dosing Kalk? Should I do it every 20ML per dose and just have it spread out accordingly? Should I dose it all at night like ACI recommends?

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Chris keeps his kalk at 14.4ph I believe but I cannot seem to get mine above 12.5 so I’m dosing 6000ml/24 hours. If I have the windows open in my house I can get ph to 8.3 for part of the afternoon but not having maximum saturation of my alk I’m having a hard time keeping ph at 8.3. The issue I have is I’m dosing more saturation than evaporation so I have to really watch my salinity closely. I have to figure out a way to get the max saturation from my kalk like Chris.

I feel like the Ugly phase is slowly phasing out. I did add 8 additional turbo snails so total of 14 snails, and 2 large urchin.
They are surely helping but I can just tell the algae is not growing back as fast as it was before. I may add Zoas today to the display as I feel they may do better in the display with more available nutrients then the fishless QT tank where nutrients are coming from snails only. I think the fish poop is a must in any system

Chris keeps his kalk at 14.4ph I believe but I cannot seem to get mine above 12.5 so I’m dosing 6000ml/24 hours. If I have the windows open in my house I can get ph to 8.3 for part of the afternoon but not having maximum saturation of my alk I’m having a hard time keeping ph at 8.3. The issue I have is I’m dosing more saturation than evaporation so I have to really watch my salinity closely. I have to figure out a way to get the max saturation from my kalk like Chris.
Not sure how chris can keep his PH at 14.4 when the max saturation is 12.4 in newly mixed Kalk, I wonder if he is dosing vinegar or something - so what your doing is correct. I want to get some fresh air into the basement or behind the tank. Obviously the humidity would be an issue so thinking about doing a small vent in the basement. Before I setup the tank I did want to vent behind the tank but never got to it and I am not confident to drill a hole outside my house without someones help.

My 400 gallon has a PH of 8-8.2
My basement QT is always at 8
My other system in basement is always at 8-8.1

This lets me know the basement is the cause of low PH and upstairs tank gets more fresh air coming from windows and front door.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Not sure how chris can keep his PH at 14.4 when the max saturation is 12.4 in newly mixed Kalk, I wonder if he is dosing vinegar or something - so what your doing is correct. I want to get some fresh air into the basement or behind the tank. Obviously the humidity would be an issue so thinking about doing a small vent in the basement. Before I setup the tank I did want to vent behind the tank but never got to it and I am not confident to drill a hole outside my house without someones help.

My 400 gallon has a PH of 8-8.2
My basement QT is always at 8
My other system in basement is always at 8-8.1

This lets me know the basement is the cause of low PH and upstairs tank gets more fresh air coming from windows and front door.
You’re right. I just checked again and my kalk concentrate is ph of 11.4 and Chris did say 12.4 not 14.4 With that, 6000m/l per day still doesn’t keep me pegged at 8.3. I run my skimmer airline outside and a refugium at night. I had a drop last week when I dosed chemiclean and yesterday it dropped when I did a large water change . Other than that my average is about 8.2.

Attachments

• D1EC84DF-B55D-48BC-9AF2-440FADC72CC5.png
    D1EC84DF-B55D-48BC-9AF2-440FADC72CC5.png
    353.3 KB · Views: 2
You’re right. I just checked again and my kalk concentrate is ph of 11.4 and Chris did say 12.4 not 14.4 With that, 6000m/l per day still doesn’t keep me pegged at 8.3. I run my skimmer airline outside and a refugium at night. I had a drop last week when I dosed chemiclean and yesterday it dropped when I did a large water change . Other than that my average is about 8.2.
You may want to make sure its accurate. I read recently somewhere even if the ph in the kalk container is 12.1. The saturation is week. I could be wrong but I think randy Holmes said it and thinking maybe it's the reason you have to dose so much

Genius!

Hi Diana. Do you know anyone in the area that would be kind enough to let me borrow a fish trap. I need to move a yellow tang. Figured I'd ask! If anyone needs a copper test kit or even meds for QT I am more than happy to share

I added 2 larger pieces of liverock from my sump to seed the display again. Should've done it right after hypo. But I'm kind of liking how it looks. In person it adds more depth

20220901_224338.jpg
20220901_224549.jpg20220901_224543.jpg

Made some more frag plugs. It's time to get all the non-sps out of QT. Its actually very rewarding to use all left over rock rubble from my aquascape. I feel this should help give a natural look. Plus I have enough rock to make alot.

20220903_005705.jpg
20220903_010144.jpg20220903_010207.jpg20220903_010209.jpg20220903_010222.jpg

Last edited: