• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Billyr98's Real Upgrade! 450g Starphire Custom Reef Tank!

Phyl said:
Looks GREAT, Bill. Can't wait to see it in person in February!

Thanks Phyl

NapoliNewJersey said:
I'm drooling. :eek: I can't wait for the meeting to come ... and it's not even February yet!!!

Thanks Mike! February will be here soon..

JohnS_323 said:
Great rebound Billy. You've gotta feel a million times better now!

Thanks John!! I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All i can say is WOW! Great tank Bill can't wait to see it in person. On the lights you mentioned three 400watt. What K are you running and are you running actinics with the MH? Did i miss the demensions on this monster. I always thought Malcholm had a huge tank but i think this may be bigger.

mott768 said:
Wow Billy :eek: looks GREAT! Love all the anthias

thanks and hopefully you come see it in person :)

BobCReef said:
All i can say is WOW! Great tank Bill can't wait to see it in person. On the lights you mentioned three 400watt. What K are you running and are you running actinics with the MH? Did i miss the demensions on this monster. I always thought Malcholm had a huge tank but i think this may be bigger.

Thanks Bob! My lamps are 12k Reeflux and I run T5Ho Actinics, but they are hardly noticeable while the Metal halides are on.. My dimensions are 96 x 36 deep x 30 tall... I think Malcolm had the same size from what I heard..

BobCReef said:
I've noticed the Reeflux 12K mentioned alot. Has that become the bulb of choice? I used to run 10K xm with vho actinic.

I'm using the Reeflux 12K as well. Mine are HQI/DoubleEnded with T5 suplimentation. I love the color of my tank so I guess i would recommend the bulb.

billyr98 said:
blange3 said:
Looks really great Bill!

Hope I can make it to the meeting to see it in person.

come on bill, what's it going to take to get you there.. I gave ya plenty of notice..

The notice was cool, unfortunately church doesn't give me lots of notice on stuff. I checked the calendar, they have me workin' all morning, but I could get there a little late.

This isn't one of those meetings that ends early, is it? ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
This isn't one of those meetings that ends early, is it? ;)

Bwahahahahaha! You're a funny one, Bill. I'm thinking that between Rock Band & Wii we're going to be there for the long haul.

I've noticed the Reeflux 12K mentioned alot. Has that become the bulb of choice? I used to run 10K xm with vho actinic.

I really like the bluer color of the Reeflux 12K and while you do sacrifice a bit of PAR from the XM 10Ks, I personally like the look better. Particularly with 400w bulbs. When we tried 400w 10Ks the actinic supplementation got LOST and the tank was way too yellow for my taste.

On our 180 now we have 5 bulbs. Actinics come on first, followed a couple of hours later with 2 XM10Ks. These run for 2-3 hours and then go off, immediately following that our 3 Reeflux 12Ks come on. Our theory was to get the growth from the XMs during the day when I wasn't as likely to be home and the 12Ks for my visual enjoyment after work. When the reflux go off the VHOs are on for an hour at the end of the light cycle.

The following is what it looks like under the hood:

------------------------- VHO
[R12][X10][R12][X10][R12] Halide Placement
------------------------- VHO

I guess i will have to wait to see them before i decide. Never cared for the blue look, always liked a crisp white. The 400w may over power the actinic but i will be running 250w. At least i think i will. i have both the 250w and 400w ballast so i could go either way. i always had trouble with the Vho end caps melting

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My endcaps haven't melted ... yet! LOL! If you like that crisp white then the 250s with VHO supplementation is definitely going to be more your speed. The 250s definitely produce a more crisp white than the 400s, which are an overbearing yellow (6500, IME), requiring the 12Ks for my taste.

wow the tank looks good Billy , cant wait to see it , i also have the 12 k reeflux 250 w and i like it , and 2 vhos for right now .

Yeah Billy the Achilles looks great, how big is he?

Speaking of fish ... Any chance on ever posting a current fish list? Also what are some fish you don't have but you really want.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Yeah Billy the Achilles looks great, how big is he?

Speaking of fish ... Any chance on ever posting a current fish list? Also what are some fish you don't have but you really want.

thanks guys...

well i just had my last wrasse jump today... very sad day to lose a flame wrasse.. especially since he was a pair..
well i gotta close the back of the tank if i plan on adding anymore wrasses :(

my fish list is pretty easy

13 anthias..
5 yellow tangs
1 hippo tang
1 achillies tang
1 sohal tang
1 sailfin tang
1 arc eye hawk
1 mandarin
1 black percula
1 stigmata blenny
1 blenny
1 clown goby
1 sixline
1 geometric hawkfish (whenever he comes out)
1 female flame wrasse

that is my show tank fish, i have few more downstairs..

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about the wrasse. That is a nice list you have there. Still got the tail spot blenny?

BTW, somebody was asking about a pair of clowns she sent you.