• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Billyr98's Real Upgrade! 450g Starphire Custom Reef Tank!

Hey Billy the tank looks amazing. I'm so jealous. BYW are those the wammin watermellons I gave you a while back under the anthias on the lower right?

fts010908-3.jpg

Im glad your tank rebounded from the algae. It looks real nice and love to see tons of fish. That is my dream to have 30 fishes on a big tank.. did u lose your SPS?... keep up the good work.. Nice pics too :D

How many pounds of rock did you sink in to the tank?

Rock looks nice. Where did you pick it up from if you do not mind the question?

Hi Billy...

Nice Tank...Enjoyed following the thread...Thanks for sharing...Glad you've overcome your algae problem.

What is the name of that Red/Burgundy Blenny with the Green spots...it's cool looking!!

Also, the latest pictures appear to show some Bubble Algae (Valonia) on a few of the rocks. Hope I'm wrong,
but given what you've just gone through, I suggest you find out if it is Valonia and if so, get rid of it.
That stuff can spread very fast and become a nuisance.

I've had good results using Emerald Crabs from the last Reeftopia Group Buy.

Dom

stigmata blenny... i have bubble algae, yes! always have had it in my system, from the 210g. Emeralds are in my tank and dont do anything for it.. i just live with it :(

pnoyreefer said:
Im glad your tank rebounded from the algae. It looks real nice and love to see tons of fish. That is my dream to have 30 fishes on a big tank.. did u lose your SPS?... keep up the good work.. Nice pics too :D

i lost some sps... i will be putting my corals back in real soon.. with some LPS and SPS this time :)

bconn said:
How many pounds of rock did you sink in to the tank?

Rock looks nice. Where did you pick it up from if you do not mind the question?

when i bought my 210g, i purchased 450 lbs of fiji and 85 lbs of tonga... so this is the same rock in the system.... i purchased it all from Aquarium Center...

Hey Billy,

I was looking over your tank thread and I see you don't have any powerheads in the tank. Are the Ocean Motions Closed Loop and the SeaSwirl Returns the only flow in the tank?

What kind of pumps are going into the Ocean Motions?

yes i designed the tank with Paul from Ocean Motions so I didnt need any powerheads in the tank..

I have two 4-way oceans motions running each on a Sequence Dart pump..

And my returns (sea Swirls) are off a sequence barracuda..

i love the look of no powerheads..

Me too!! I'm stealing that for when/if I ever get a big tank.

What skimmer are you running on that thing? No pictures of the Sump/Filter/Fuge setup?

I was looking at your tank thread from the begining and it's a great story. You did a good job documenting all the progress.

billyr98 said:
hmmm... should i post pictures? or make the attendance rise for the Feb Meeting here! :)

Good call ... now I have to come to the meeting. I like the way you think.

But really the look of no powerheads is amazing. Have you found that there is enough flow in the tank or do you feel that you could use more?

ok... here is some pictures of this month's meeting tank..
it doesn't look that good in pictures.. Come to the next meeting and see this in person!!!

ok finally finished my lighting experiments...

i am now running 3 - 400w MHs with lumenarcs...

here is pictures with all my corals back in place...

012308tankfull.jpg

Full

012308tankleft.jpg

Left Side

012308tankright.jpg

Right Side

012308tankfarright.jpg

Right Panel