• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BobCReef's 120 gal Re-birth

As i had posted earlier i will be setting my 120 gal reef tank up once again. I have alot of the equipment and supplies from before. Tank will be in my kitchen but can not bring it in until the flooring is replaced. Conditional thing with Terry to replace the flooring. This will be done on thursday.
This is 4'x2'x2' All Glass reef ready tank. As before it will be plumbed to my basement where i will have a 100 gal rubbermaid sump and 100 gal rubbermaid refugium. I have cleaned the sump and placed into it about 75lb or so of dry fiji and kalini rock that i had kept from before. Fill the sump with 60gal of fresh seawater and have two powerheads and a heater. Rock has been curing since Tuesday, no smell YET.
Today i cleaned out the refugium and will get that ready for a sand bed and macro.

Unfortunately when i took this tank down i was in a hurry as usual and didn't take the time to clean anything so now i have some problems i need help with.

Cleaned up my skimmer today as well, EuroReef 8-2. Could not get the impellar out of the pump. Its siezed tight. Actually broke the impellar off the magnet. Now i have the magnet stuck inside the pump housing. Any ideas on how to free this up and get it out?

Now of course i'm worried about my other pumps so i plug in my sequence 5200, nothing, just a buzz. Will take this apart over the weekend and hope i can free this up. Replacing it would be a major expense i hadn't planned for.

What out his back :eek:

Im glad to hear that your setting up your system again Bob , did you try to put the pumps with vinegar overnight and see if the magnet comes apart , be careful with the seals on the sequence pump , i would try a little bit of vinegar there as well and see what happens .
What kind of corals are you doing , lmk when your ready and ill give you some purple cap and other couple of frags just to star you up , good luck and keep us posted

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The vinegar is a GREAT idea. Heavy on the vinegar (no such thing as overdosing that stuff). Hopefully they'll all be good as new after a soak.

Good luck getting back up and running, Bob! You're welcome to frags when you're ready. Unfortunately I don't have any of your yellow milli left. We did raffle a lot of it off though, so hopefully someone who has it will pipe up!

Welcome back!

Ok i'll try some vinegar.
Thanks for the offes on the frags. it will be awhile before i'm ready for any.

Going go be mostly SPS but need to have a few LPS just to give it some motion if you know what i mean.

Oh well down to the basement i go. More to follow

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a real nice colony going from that frag of yellow milli you gave me. Unfortunately, I had a issue and lost most of my SPS. I do have this tiny frag that just started showing polyps again and I think it may be the yellow. I'm keeping my fingers cross. The tips on the colony were starting to get pink or orange and was very nice looking. If I'm able to get it fragable again, I'll have a piece for you if you still need it.

Thanks Rich, i'm still a ways away from actually needing any corals. Heck don't even have the tank in the house yet. I'll let you know when its all setup and ready.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great to see you back at it again Bob!

Good luck with the new setup, I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

Took the pump apart. Not a calcium buildup. For sure its rust. Any idea what to do. Thought i might take it to a motor repair shop like Willier
8_29_01_08_9_09_31_0.jpg

8_29_01_08_9_09_32_1.jpg

8_29_01_08_9_09_32_2.jpg

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If thats not a wetted part/area, you can use WD-40 or CRC Marine and soak it for a bit.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So that area is in the wet part of the pump. Have you tried to grab the shaft with pliers to see if you can break it free? Can you get to the back side of that area to get some type of penetrating product on the shaft?

I'll reach out to my father and see if he know of any food grade WD-40 type stuff.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't see veggie oil breaking down the rust. You need something beyond just the oil as an antedote, I'd guess. Hopefully Rich can come up with something food-grade.

Hoping to bring the tank in this weekend so i'm going to need to fix this one or replace it. Replacing it will be a setback using up funds i expected to use for other startup items (like corals. Patience Bob Patience!