• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BobCReef's 120 gal Re-birth

Amonia levels are down to zero :D Nitrates are up to 40. things are moving along with curing the rock. Hope to move the tank in this weekend and start working on the plumping. Could not free up the sequence pump so had to order a new Barracuda. Should be here monday or tuesday. Need to get this sand issue resolved. Think for now i'll just get a few bags to use in the tank and wait an see on the DSB in the fuge. Figure i can add that later easy enough. Have to wait for some more funding.
Terry's 50th Birthday is monday and committed alot of my surplus money to her gift.

Sounds like things are coming along nice.

Also, for a 120 I think 2 40lb bags of CaribSea should do the trick. They are in the $24-$30 range per 40lb bag.

I had about 90lbs of sand in my 120 and I had to siphon about 20lbs out.

Be careful using any sand that is NOT intended for aquarium use, company's are adding anti fungal and bacteria agents to the sand (playsand), there is no test to see if the sand is treated. (this could explain why so many people where having tank crashes with DSB)

Looking to put a fan in my hood. didn't have one before. Think that is why i had problems with the end caps melting. Need something ulta quite as the tank is in the kitchen and don't want to put up with the noise, thats why i didn't put a fan in before.
any ideas on a good fan

another question. Going to use both holes in the overflows as drains. That will give me two 1" and two 3/4". somewhere i remember seeing how many gallons this would drain down to the sump but can't remeember where. Will a 1 1/2" drain line be big enough or do i need to go up to a 2"?

Two 1" holes handle about 1200gph ... 600gph each.

My drains on my 120 are 1" straight into the sump but there are 2 exit points. If you're going to combine the two so that there is one exit then you will need to go to a 2" pipe so that the drain flow is not compromised.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That should make the total somewhere around 1800gph! Whoah! I'd go 2" on the drain line (better safe than sorry). As for the melting end caps there were end caps that were being sold for a while that had a tendancy to melt. I think the ones they make now are less likely to do that, but the fans are a good idea, none the less.

Sounds like you're making great, steady progress. Keep up the good work!

Wish Terry a Happy Birthday for us!

I doubt i would be able to get 1800 over the overflow. That will likley limit the flow. Hoping for 1200 or so, although the pump can handle twice that(keeping reserve for the future ;D)
has anyone used the icecap variable speed fans? What do you think of them?

I was just reading this post and thght I might over an idea for that rust,its called naval jelly,pink jelly like stuff that takes rust away like magic,I've used it many times on anything and everything,including tank stuff.I hope this helps you gd luck

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Those fans are SOOOOOO loud. The PC fans that were in our hood before were much quieter.

With 1200gph, the 2 standard overflows would drain enough without adding would be return lines as drains as well, unless you had another goal in mind.

Any pictures to go along with the process? How did the kitchen floor turn out? :)

Bob, I'm curious ... if you used all four holes in the tank as drains then what would you use as returns.

I agree with Phyl and use the 2 larger for drains and the 2 smaller holes as returns..... unless you have something else in mind.

BobCReef said:
another question. Going to use both holes in the overflows as drains. That will give me two 1" and two 3/4". somewhere i remember seeing how many gallons this would drain down to the sump but can't remeember where. Will a 1 1/2" drain line be big enough or do i need to go up to a 2"?

I had my 210g tank setup like this... i ran my returns to seaswirls and plumbed the 1" and 3/4" to 1.5" Drains..

Very nice, Terry is very happy with it. Will try to psot some pics in the next day or so. Decided to wait until tuesday to bring the tank in. More room in the kitchen for Terry's party tomorrow. Spent time today doing a water change in the 150 FO tank. Much to my surprise i have found a radactus mushroom from the old tank. must have stirred someting up and swept from behind the rock. Only thing is it was blue but is now white. Tried to glue it to a rock so it didn't get away but it didn't work. To much flow i guess. Trying to save the little guy. Give him some light and move him later to the new tank.

On the fan issue. overheating the water has never been an issue, just the melting end caps. Also i had my actinic mount inside the reflector of the MH. Maybe i need to move them out. Any ideas

for returns i was going to run two one inch lines (off a 1 1/2" trunk) up over the back of the tank. i do have one sea swirl if it works, i have to check that yet. i used thes before and can get quite a bit of flow from them. If need be i could add a third.

These are old photos but
Here is the lights
8_10_02_08_9_12_20_0.jpg

And here are the returns. You can see them in the background
8_10_02_08_9_12_20_1.jpg