• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can't get hook out of Mystery Wrasse fish's mouth

I was trying to get a Mystery Wrasse out of my tank. I used a #26 trout hook and caught him but cannot get it out of the roof in his mouth. It is pretty far inside.

#1. Can anyone offer any ideas?
#2. Will he be OK until tomorrow where I can bring it to a store or someone that can get it out of his mouth?

Thanks,
Ken

I bent the barb before I baited the hook. There is not much exposed to grab on to. Do I do it with him out of water or in the water?

Can he live until tomorrow when I can bring him to a store and have it taken out there?

At this point you might be better off just leaving it where it is, if it's not stainless, it should just dissolve. I think you'll do more damage trying to get it out.

Yea, if I was Dr. Debakey. The only thing visible is the part that is tied on to the fishing line.

The main question I was asking, I guess no one knows is will it live until tomorrow. I Guess I'll find out as I'll bring it to a store and have them do it and keep him. I was getting him out of my tank because he killed two red/white cleaner shrimp.
Ken

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is a shame Ken. As another said the only way I know is to use needle nose pliers and work it out. I am assuming this fish is about 4" so getting that needle nose in their maybe a challenge. Good luck.

I'm sure it can be done. I feel like I am torturing it and so I will let someone else more qualified to get it out tomorrow. Of course if he didn't eat $60.00 worth of fish he wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place. :)
Ken

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm afraid that with that teeny little mouth it may be near impossible to get out. The trick to gtting them out of a bigger fishes throat/mouth is to actually push the hook further into the fishes mouth. Push on the curved part and it should pop out. Just not sure what you can use to get into his mouth though. Not just that but actually getting the hook out once it's free is a whole new problem.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Use oil of cloves as a fish anaesthetic most health stores sell it .. That will help the stress part for the fish and you and make it more manageable to get the hook out.. Good luck

Who is Dr Jim? A renowned fish doctor?
Anyway, he's a live this morning and I will bring him to a store and get him off the hook. :)
Ken

I'll give the store the first shot at it. Since every one and his mother says the hook can come out, the guy I know at the store should be able to do it. I just opted out of doing it because I'm afraid I'll accidentally kill the fish in the process.
Ken

I found him his website. Tropiquarium is near me and I am going to give them a shot first. I'm sure Brett or Austin can get it out. I would have sent there last night but the store was closed already.
Ken

UPDATE; Took it to Tropiquarium this afternoon. I don't think it took Austin more than 5 seconds to get the hook out.
Ken