• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish Log

Initial fry require lives foods such as rotifiers - to stimulate the eating/lunging/attacking of food. Then later as they get bigger I used to feed newly hatched artermia/baby brine. However hatching bbs is a pain in my opinion.

The otohime is sized from A to C and then EP (which is almost really for adult sized clowns). A is sized at 250 microns. It's almost like dust. As they get bigger I weaned them to B1 which is a little larger in size. The clowns in my 5 g hex consume B2. The 29biocube clowns eat C1. C2 is do-able but a little bit bulky for them.

Keep in mind this larval feed is for all types of fish - not just clowns so you might need the larger sized pellets for larger breeds of fish.

You can order the start pack (which is what I got) or you can just order one of the sizes specifically.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil, that looks like a simple to use feed for your fry. But I was looking at the product details, and the ingredients show that they all have like 13% ash.

I'm no expert, but that seems like a high filler content for something that is supposed to be specially formulated for raising babies, no?

I don't know what else is out there to compare it to either so that might be the best you can get. I was just curious what it was made of and noticed the ash content.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I love following along with this thread more than any other on the boards! ;D

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Phil! I will do some research on it, my fish actually feed on the parents untill they are big enough to hunt baby brine so I would look into the slighlty larger micron sizes. I have had a lot of success with Golden Pearls in the past but they are getting harder and harder to find.

Rod

yep - also with the dry food there is zero chance of them chokingon the food - unlike the artemia. Although they are de'cap'd eggs I still get a few that look like they just ate too much of a good thing. Not to mention the "freak out" when the lights go out deal. Just too jittery.

here's an old pic I took at Sea World in FLorida - I can never get my batches to this size - wish I could though:
IMG_2577.jpg

Give yourself time Phil, you're still in the early stages here. I'm fully confident that in a few years, your problem won't be how to raise them, but what to do with them :)
I continue to think you are doing a fantastic job ;)

NikkiT said:
Give yourself time Phil, you're still in the early stages here. I'm fully confident that in a few years, your problem won't be how to raise them, but what to do with them :)
I continue to think you are doing a fantastic job ;)

i guess the thing is i feel like my window is short since the pair that is laying eggs could just as dramatically decide to stop. So while the goings good - I'd like to make the best use of what's being given to me.

Still thanks so much for the encouragement.

inky - thanks also for the kind words - glad to see the itch to get back into it has nudged you to a nano!

phyl - the only info I came away with was ammonia poisoning was reducing my overall count. that's very possible as I was a little bit more lax with the water changes this go round. But the idea of adding a filter in earlier is something I will definitely try next time.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah... makes me wish my pair were still spawning, so I hear you on the just-as-sudden-stop to your rearing abilities. Hopefully they'll continue and you'll be able to increase your keeper rate as you learn.

Glad to hear that you may have gleaned something from your conversation with George. I'm glad he could make it to a meeting (thanks MikeM for dragging him along).

Hawkeye said:
phyl - the only info I came away with was ammonia poisoning was reducing my overall count. that's very possible as I was a little bit more lax with the water changes this go round. But the idea of adding a filter in earlier is something I will definitely try next time.

Phil, do you need ammonia badges? I have some extras since mine stopped laying. You are welcome to them.

I think you are doing great and should be proud of your accomplishments! I know how much work you needed to do to get to where you are. ;)

Breeding was wayy too much effort for my schedule. I'm satisfied that I still have my 3 and am waiting patiently for them to grow enough to move to the 180.

thanks - i actually ordered a bunch of seacchem badges from the last group buy. I had one but I was just way to busy to keep up with the water changes. But the other issue is the un-balanced growth of the clowns. With a few of them being super big and lots of runts - the bigger ones either overeat or beat on the smaller ones preventing them from eating. The only recourse is separation into more tanks - and I don't have the time for that either.

Maybe I just need to start them in a bigger tank than a 10g.

If you start them in too big a tank, they have to work harder to feed. I understand about all the work. ::)

If you want to get your growth rate balanced, I would try running more 10's and sort them by size a few weeks after meta. I have 5 empty ones if you need any. Some are brand new.

BTW I have half a bottle of Roti Diet for you. LMK the next time you'll be in the area. :D

nice thanks Bill...i'll try and meet up with you my next trip up to visit wil. now that I t5 lights again I'm looking forward to getting corals from him that will actually look pretty in my tank vs dull.

I lost track of how old these clowns are - this was the latest successful batch I had:
IMG_6931.jpg

They were fed almost exclusively rotifers and otohime. They are a little pale for my taste - but that color should bounce back when I mix in some cyclopeeze.

Starting to get a nasty film of crud on top of the bc 29. I guess I'm overdue for a water change. It never ends....

of course...

these are under my old LED lights though - they are darker under the T5s.
IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

Here's a vid of them laying the eggs. I posted this before - but will link here again. notice the "reef safe" blue damsel...lol opportunistic little guy waiting for an egg not to attach.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Phil, I am setting up a small tank in my office, save me a couple please.
The tank will be zoos, and softies, the clowns would be for fun for the kids that come to visit! ;D

Rod