• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dangerdave’s reef

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So today I removed the only casualty from my phosphate spike :( My spongodes colony got real beat up too, but it’s coming back :)

C1668613-C294-4663-AE39-EE4D320AE85E.jpeg

Also back to an aptasia issue. The coris wrasse pair in the DT have gotten bigger and killed the regular sized peppermint shrimp. The big boys (they’re like big cleaner shrimp sized and dark red now) won’t come out from under the rocks anymore though, even after dark. That’s led to an out break. I scraped a bunch off the rocks and put them in a separate tank to reproduce before I order berghia. I then went ham and killed a crap ton. I hate looking at them.

Peppermints work so good in the frag tanks, but the coris wrasse in there are tiny. I hope that the alternate berghia/wrasse times will work out. We’ll see I guess.

Hopefully it will, and I’ll have a bunch to trade!

DangerDave

NJRC Member
What caused the phosphate spike?

i think it is it bound to my rock because i was not using enough gfo for a long time. the other day my gfo reactor sponge came up and most of the water was bypassing most of the gfo. By dumb luck I saw it come up. I fixed it the next day. Phosphate went from 0 to .16 in a day. Gfo back on, and it went to .02 the next day, to 0 again the day after.

Since I’m dosing nitrates I think I may build a scrubber with @Hockeynut help. I’ve built pvc ones, but this would be a fancy looking one :). It’ll prolly make me dose some more nitrates but should reduce cost. I swore I wouldn’t use one on this build. It’s guaranteed once a week maintenance, but now I’m changing gfo almost that often anyway.

I have a chaeto reactor on the shelf still, maybe I’ll start that up.

Surprised phosphates are that high did you add alot of rock when you added the frag tanks? I haven't been by in a while you would think with your water volume and coral you wouldnt have a problem with it.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I only added marine pure to the sump when I added the frag tanks. I think think it was me letting the phosphate bind to the rock.... :(

No haven't had the need to yet. But if I start having phosphate issues that's the way I'll go. I like that you have more control with it then gfo. Once you figure your dosage out you can keep your phosphates where you want them.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
No haven't had the need to yet. But if I start having phosphate issues that's the way I'll go. I like that you have more control with it then gfo. Once you figure your dosage out you can keep your phosphates where you want them.
I’m interested in hearing more about this I’ve always used gfo and another option is interesting

DangerDave

NJRC Member
There a few threads about it on r2r.
I’m interested in hearing more about this I’ve always used gfo and another option is interesting

Check this guys set up for dealing with the precipitation, just using an old RO set up.

I bought the laser online it’s great it gets rid of the aptasia and it’s fun to use(Also back to an aptasia issue. The coris wrasse pair in the DT have gotten bigger and killed the regular sized peppermint shrimp. The big boys (they’re like big cleaner shrimp sized and dark red now) won’t come out from under the rocks anymore though, even after dark. That’s led to an out break. I scraped a bunch off the rocks and put them in a separate tank to reproduce before I order berghia. I then went ham and killed a crap ton. I hate looking at them. )

DangerDave

NJRC Member
1.5 Matt. I’m hoping that I can keep the flow to both side around 900 to 1k gph. If so, I’m in! If not I gotta get a bigger pump.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Crazy thing happens early this morning. Something caused my oxydator to overreact and start pumping out H202. It usually pushes 50ml a day out, which reacts in the vessel but some does get into the sump. It pushed out 1000ml. I lost a couple colonies, and everything is pissed.