• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dangerdave’s reef

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So I haven’t plumbed in the new tank yet, but soon. The drain is built and needs to be glued and mounted to the wall. I think I’ll drill the tank this weekend to get it ready. A new klir7 will take the flow of the 4 frag tanks, algae scrubber, and chiller.

Once the new tank is running I’m redoing the rock in the display, so most of it will come out. Here is part of the monti that is prolly gonna be in 100 pieces soon.

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I finally moved from gfo to lanthanum chloride. It’s been a few days since the switch and I’m still trying to get the dosing to match the need better. I’m currently dosing enough to drop .10ppm pm daily. I think I’m about there.

Im diluting with RO, and spreading the dosing through the day. I ran the line through the output of my skimmer and I’m dosing directly into body of the skimmer. I’m not getting any clouding in the sump, I think I’m getting most if not all of the precipitate out the cup.

I’ve read a lot about LC dosing over the last year, but this is my first go with this stuff. Any advice based on experience would be welcome. :)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I haven’t plumbed in the new tank yet, but soon. The drain is built and needs to be glued and mounted to the wall. I think I’ll drill the tank this weekend to get it ready. A new klir7 will take the flow of the 4 frag tanks, algae scrubber, and chiller.

Once the new tank is running I’m redoing the rock in the display, so most of it will come out. Here is part of the monti that is prolly gonna be in 100 pieces soon.

Road trip !!

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I finally moved from gfo to lanthanum chloride. It’s been a few days since the switch and I’m still trying to get the dosing to match the need better. I’m currently dosing enough to drop .10ppm pm daily. I think I’m about there.

Im diluting with RO, and spreading the dosing through the day. I ran the line through the output of my skimmer and I’m dosing directly into body of the skimmer. I’m not getting any clouding in the sump, I think I’m getting most if not all of the precipitate out the cup.

I’ve read a lot about LC dosing over the last year, but this is my first go with this stuff. Any advice based on experience would be welcome. :)
Good luck i heard its very effective.
So I quess that means more frags!!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

I only know of one other person dosing lanthanum chloride “meleves reef” he has been dosing this to his tank for a long time.
Check out his you tube if you don’t all ready he had nitrates around 50ppm
And he brings it down with LC.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I only know of one other person dosing lanthanum chloride “meleves reef” he has been dosing this to his tank for a long time.
Check out his you tube if you don’t all ready he had nitrates around 50ppm
And he brings it down with LC.

I know his name but never watched any of his videos. LC is for phosphates. I'd be in trouble if it was for nitrates, lol I'm dosing a ton of nitrates.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So I had to up the LC dosing again last night. I dosed it down to close to zero then upped the dosage. I’m now dosing enough to drop by .16ppm per day. This seems to be working. I’m hoping I measure 0 later so I can back it off a bit.

So I had to up the LC dosing again last night. I dosed it down to close to zero then upped the dosage. I’m now dosing enough to drop by .16ppm per day. This seems to be working. I’m hoping I measure 0 later so I can back it off a bit.
This question is more out of curiosity than anything else. I have seen your tanks several times as have many others following this post. And your tanks are pristine and very well maintained. Where do you think the excessive phosphates are coming from? Do you feed a lot? Is your water supply naturally high in them?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
It’s all my fault. Over feeding and not managing it better. I’ve always been a proponent of lots of nutrients in and out. I did a better job of in then out. I think I’ve locked up too much phosphate in my rocks. It took me a few years to get here, and it’s going to take me a year or two to get it down. This will be better, a few dollars of LC a month compared to the $100 of rowaphos a month I was doing for most of this year.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So cool news for me. I’ve melted the little bryopsis patches I’ve had in the euphyllia tank. I’ve contained it for a year with direct h2o2, which was easy enough I guess. I got lazy with it recently paying attn to other issues and they ended up becoming big long patches. Then I saw a patch in my display. I slightly elevated my magnesium and held it for a couple weeks. It’s all melted. Gone. I heard so many mixed reviews of this, but I I figured I had a gallon of mag that I’ve never needed to dose for a couple years. I bought enough fluconazole to treat the tank, it actually arrived today. I guess it’s going on the shelf, woohoo!