• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Decisions that affected NJRC

Hey, I see that elections are coming up and people are casting votes for a new president, etc.

I have been on here for a long time and moved away from using NJRC after consistent "bad" decisions. People come and go in this hobby so it is definitely not the only reason why this board fell off. Yet, I believe it had the biggest impact.

I would hate to say bad decisions can kill a forum when you think you are making "smart" decisions but remember there are plenty of other forums that have much more people contributing knowledge and readily available items that hobbyist are looking for.

This group would take a very long time and "marketing" to draw back interest because of the decisions that led to its downfall.

Either way, this is just a heads up. If you are voted into BOD/position of making decisions, good luck and make smarter decisions especially if you do something that may negatively affect the forum. I guess you can't break it down much further.

This is my opinion. I hope no one gets hurt feelings in the bum.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’ve only recently joined NJRC, but like any organization it’s only as good as the efforts put forth by the people involved.

Everyone I’ve met so far have been really cool, and I think the current members are working to make this a great place to be.

I think we can (and will) make this a good forum to share and learn more about reefing.

Dave

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
All great points. And getting the members involved and converting a lot of members into paid and participating memberships. Is the top two goals of the BOD.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Maybe elaborate on the bad decisions. That drove you away?

That would help the current and incoming board understand. Please feel free to post here or PM. I’m interested in all feedback. Even if u call me out of my name and they are negative. It all helps in making informed decisions and avoiding silos !!!!!

Club is for the members. We just have the privilege of running it for awhile.

I think away to get more paid members is to offer a choice between a free t-shirt, hat, towel and maybe a hoodie with your membership fee. Because as of now there really isn't any incentive to join.

Hey, I see that elections are coming up and people are casting votes for a new president, etc.

I have been on here for a long time and moved away from using NJRC after consistent "bad" decisions. People come and go in this hobby so it is definitely not the only reason why this board fell off. Yet, I believe it had the biggest impact.

I would hate to say bad decisions can kill a forum when you think you are making "smart" decisions but remember there are plenty of other forums that have much more people contributing knowledge and readily available items that hobbyist are looking for.

This group would take a very long time and "marketing" to draw back interest because of the decisions that led to its downfall.

Either way, this is just a heads up. If you are voted into BOD/position of making decisions, good luck and make smarter decisions especially if you do something that may negatively affect the forum. I guess you can't break it down much further.

This is my opinion. I hope no one gets hurt feelings in the bum.

@evoIX ...I've been around just as long as you have. And I know there were people getting butt hurt over decisions made in the past. I know people left out of spite. But please do elaborate so they can try and get the club back to where it needs to be. I never got involved with the BOD much, but I've been around a while.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@njtiger24 aquariums would you be able to great a forum for paid members that would be open ground to post opinions and criticism of the BOD? Similar to vendor feedback... it should help the club?

Assuming the current board agrees?

Yes we can but also note we already have a 'Suggestion' section for paid members and I see no issues with opinions/criticism posted there. The only issue with that section, or any section in the NJRC Member Only, is only paid members can post/comment. I feel something like that should be open to all members, even non-paid, cause there might be a reason they are not a paid member which could be addressed.

I am thinking maybe a section under the 'NJRC Public Forums' that is labeled like 'Opinions/Criticism/Comments on NJRC' ? I would just want to make sure that this section is used correctly. If someone has a negative comment or event got butt hurt that they provide details and some suggestions on how to move forward and improve that situation.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I think away to get more paid members is to offer a choice between a free t-shirt, hat, towel and maybe a hoodie with your membership fee. Because as of now there really isn't any incentive to join.

If I was just a non paying member, those items would not make me want to pay for membership. The only way to incise someone would really be in a way of discounts at lFS when a meeting is held at one or possibly quarterly group buys.

You be surprise how many folks want t-shirts or in other words swag. I ran a soccer tournament last summer (doing another one this summer) for goalkeepers called Goalie Wars. I spent money to get some t-shirts made up for folks working the event. They were cheaply done ($5 shirts and a buddy printed on them with his t-shirt label maker). I had money folks coming up to me asking where they could buy one of those shirts. I made notes to have shirts this tournament.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just to put this out there, the membership is $12.67 for the year which is $1.05 a month. Can I ask what anyone expects for $1.05 a month?

I agree with Kevin that our membership is cheap but I do know folks want to know 'what do I get out of it'. We can sit here and say that the fee goes to our site and help run the club and without the fee there be no club. Even though I hate to say this because its so cheap I know folks still don't care about that point and want to know what they get. I been trying to think of ways get some value to our membership but I am not publicly posting any of those suggestions until there more meat to them cause I don't want to give false impressions.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just to put this out there, the membership is $12.67 for the year which is $1.05 a month. Can I ask what anyone expects for $1.05 a month?

It is indeed a cheap membership and I personally don't expect anything but when I initially joined. There were things that sort of made it worth it, like group buys, the annual frag swap, and most importantly an active community.

As it stands, I know if I were a person starting out and I just dropped a ton of cash on equipment, it's going to make me think twice about joining even if it's $12, where I can join R2R, MR, NR, and RC for free which has a ton more active members. At the end if the day, it may be cheap but it's still an expense that really holds no value at the moment.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
It is indeed a cheap membership and I personally don't expect anything but when I initially joined. There were things that sort of made it worth it, like group buys, the annual frag swap, and most importantly an active community.

As it stands, I know if I were a person starting out and I just dropped a ton of cash on equipment, it's going to make me think twice about joining even if it's $12, where I can join R2R, MR, NR, and RC for free which has a ton more active members. At the end if the day, it may be cheap but it's still an expense that really holds no value at the moment.
Just curious, what are the current benefits for paid members? I do think if we could do an annual giveaway for paid members that would be great. Have some sponsors donate (write off for them since it's a non-profit). If there was a nice system you could win for $12 that's worth it the annual fee.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That definitely would entice me. A quality piece of equipment for the tank that is raffled off to one lucky member each year would be awesome. Can also limited to only members that voted in the election are eligible to be entered into the drawing.

This thread has gotten off-topic. We should leave this thread alone until @evoIX elaborates on it. All the other suggestions should go to the Suggestions Forum. I am very curious to know what Evo is referencing too and whether or not I can corroborate his story. Most likely I will be able to :)

I will not elaborate on decisions made. Those who were here and left and come back infrequently can chime in.

It was just a forewarning on making decisions in position will make waves. It can also be a downfall. My purpose was not to incite past decisions but to the future of making better ones.

This board used to be FULL of life and thread posting continuously. Once decision after decision was made, the drop in # of people online and postings declined rapidly.

I hope that those that decide to run have good intentions. In terms of bringing back more members or even paying members and vendors. One thing leads to the next. I am not a know it all and not someone important on these boards to make the determining factor on how NJRC will get back there.

It benefits me having a board that I could speak to locals for issues so hope that next person does well.

BTW, I was a paid member and having a free shirt etc, would not entice me as well to join. What made me join was being part of a local community that had a lot of knowledge and wealth to increase my understanding of the hobby I loved.

Either way, sorry for the long post. GL to everyone that is running for a position. May the force be with you!