• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Decisions that affected NJRC

I paid the 12 bucks the day I signed up to forum, only because it would help the local club where I live, no questions asked and haven’t thought about it since

I agree, when I first signed up I figures $12 is nothing because of all the help I received in my first 2 months on here without being a paid member. $12 to have someone with more knowledge than me at the drop of a hat help you out with a tank issue, or have them lend you a tank or price of equipment when something breaks until I could get a replacement. Becoming friends with people, who help get your feet wet with corals or pass on some chaeto over growth. Ultimately just interactions with and help from the other members has saved me well over $12 a year.

So really I don’t think we need to get anything extra from the club, as long as the money we are paying is actually all being used to run the club. Because I know this site wouldn’t be able to be run totally free of charge. And I’m going to get the hands on help I’ve gotten here from the bigger sites.

If there is extra money year to year, a perk of some type would be nice.

Also if the BOD could arrange some kind of preferential treatment for members at LFS, whether that comes in individual discounts, group purchase discounts either live stock or dry goods, or even a member appreciation weekend at the store where we get a discount.

Nothing major Just something small that says your $12 is appreciated and thank you for not just being a free member.( which would cost the club nothing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I will not elaborate on decisions made. Those who were here and left and come back infrequently can chime in.
It was just a forewarning on making decisions in position will make waves. It can also be a downfall. My purpose was not to incite past decisions but to the future of making better ones.
This board used to be FULL of life and thread posting continuously. Once decision after decision was made, the drop in # of people online and postings declined rapidly.
I hope that those that decide to run have good intentions. In terms of bringing back more members or even paying members and vendors. One thing leads to the next. I am not a know it all and not someone important on these boards to make the determining factor on how NJRC will get back there.
It benefits me having a board that I could speak to locals for issues so hope that next person does well.
BTW, I was a paid member and having a free shirt etc, would not entice me as well to join. What made me join was being part of a local community that had a lot of knowledge and wealth to increase my understanding of the hobby I loved.
Either way, sorry for the long post. GL to everyone that is running for a position. May the force be with you!

@evoIX With all due respect, I do not think you are helping the cause. You claim that wrong decisions were made that pi$$ed you off. You also claim that you do not want to tell anyone what they were. Then you wish that the people running for BOD have good intention, where the truth is that 4 positions are being run - uncontested. What are you saying really? If you feel you have something in your back pocket that can change things than why did you not run for a position?

Sorry, but I could not hold back. We all know there are issues. What we need is - solutions. You presented a point of view but to me it is like stirring the pot, unless you can be specific on what you are talking about. That will give the BOD a problem to work with.

Also $12 is less than a pizza pie. Folks who paid and became members did not go bankrupt doing that. Yes the group buys have been rare for past few years but then we also did not have much participation in them. There was a time the GB were over $4000. That was in the interest of sponsors. Not anymore.

All I ask is if you are going to start a thread stating an issue, you better state what the issue is/was.

In addition to above, I support others who already stated that they and me included have been around for a while as well.

Sunny

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
@evoIX With all due respect, I do not think you are helping the cause. You claim that wrong decisions were made that pi$$ed you off. You also claim that you do not want to tell anyone what they were. Then you wish that the people running for BOD have good intention, where the truth is that 4 positions are being run - uncontested. What are you saying really? If you feel you have something in your back pocket that can change things than why did you not run for a position?

Sorry, but I could not hold back. We all know there are issues. What we need is - solutions. You presented a point of view but to me it is like stirring the pot, unless you can be specific on what you are talking about. That will give the BOD a problem to work with.

Also $12 is less than a pizza pie. Folks who paid and became members did not go bankrupt doing that. Yes the group buys have been rare for past few years but then we also did not have much participation in them. There was a time the GB were over $4000. That was in the interest of sponsors. Not anymore.

All I ask is if you are going to start a thread stating an issue, you better state what the issue is/was.

In addition to above, I support others who already stated that they and me included have been around for a while as well.
Sunny

I agree. State the issue no need to be so open ended. Been around for a long time too. The $12 did not kill me, even $25 won' t kill me. I joined for the friendship, first hand knowledge, and immediate help when needed as stated prior. I

What have I observed? Members not participating. I have joined committees that BOD agreed to but not enough people offered to help run it, so went no where. BOD cannot do it all by themselves so let's hold up on the blame game a bit.

@evoIX Also $12 is less than a pizza pie. Folks who paid and became members did not go bankrupt doing that. Yes the group buys have been rare for past few years but then we also did not have much participation in them. There was a time the GB were over $4000. That was in the interest of sponsors. Not anymore.

HAHAHA @Sunny We ran a PA buy once over $10,000. Those days are LOOONG gone! If anyone wants to know why, feel free to message me or @JRWOHLER

Of course $12 is negligible and I’ll gladly pay it considering all I’ve learned reading the boards, the advice, and of course the equipment/coral that have been given or sold to me and the opportunity to pay that forward.

Bottom line is this is a pretty cool community and it will give back what we put in, $12 being the least of it all but more importantly working together to advance all of our enjoyment of the hobby. There’s so much potential. Exposure and networking, meeting people in our local community and across the state in the hobby, getting feedback on vendors and reliability, etc. monthly meetings and discounts at hobby-related places if possible are all great perks. Like I said it’s just good to know that the money and our efforts are used to advance the club and the hobby and help each other succeed and enjoy it more.

Your right it is my opinion, based on time lines, decisions and facts that I came to the conclusion. If you been on here that long as well, then you would know what I am talking about. If not then why is it even relevant to even state it?

It would serve no purpose stating what did happen for everyone to comment on.

Your curiosity vs 1st hand view of what transpired to current state is, what it is.

I don't want to run for a position because it turned me off. I am not interested in it nor do I think I would be the best candidate for it. Why would I do something that I believe I am not fit for?.....at this time.

The membership fees is for members who actually are part of the community. I am just lurking and saw a thread that peaked my vocals.

I would gladly pay 12.50 for membership for a community I felt part of without needing extra. I did just that when I did donate in the past and I am sure it was more before. There was no real incentive back then as well.

Either way, everyone is getting off track. I was referencing a part of NJRC history and the knowledge to those who are going for a position may want to think about more than just a title of a forum. I wish them luck and remember why this site is not even nearly what it used to be.

Ok so ive been following this thread an I am sorry I am kinda shocked to see some of the responses especially with the elections and all the campaigning. "The membership is 12.67 what do you expect?"
Sorry that response just set me off cause we have been talking about doing,more for the,club lately and that seems like a step back. What a member should expect is at the very least regular discounts at local vendors and sponsors, prehaps a active club that does things like group buys and raffles I dont think that is asking a lot and if I was elected thats the kinda stuff I would have worked for to make this club better

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Ok so ive been following this thread an I am sorry I am kinda shocked to see some of the responses especially with the elections and all the campaigning. "The membership is 12.67 what do you expect?"
Sorry that response just set me off cause we have been talking about doing,more for the,club lately and that seems like a step back. What a member should expect is at the very least regular discounts at local vendors and sponsors, prehaps a active club that does things like group buys and raffles I dont think that is asking a lot and if I was elected thats the kinda stuff I would have worked for to make this club better

@Jeremy Brito If everything holds. There is a committee seat waiting for you. Trust me!!!

Yes as part of the BOD / memebership. we have to stop pissing on any and all donations. We appreciate every dollar sent into the club. And we need to work on adding value and proving that it’s being used to better your reefing experience and other things related to club.

I apologize for that response and hopefully everyone would agree

where you choose to spend your money is an important decision!!!!

And by choosing to spend it here we will try to make it worth your investment !!!!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
This thread has gotten off-topic.

I have to agree with this statement. This thread has gotten off topic and I will fully admit I did contribute to it. If you would like to express value of the club please do that in this thread. What value would earn your membership dollars?

Now I have not been around as long as most of the folks in this club. I have heard stories of 'how it used to be'. I do not know what truly happen to drive folks away, only the folks who left truly know why they left. We can sit here all night and discuss how things used to be but that will not change what is going on now. I do agree we need to know the club's history so we can learn from any mistakes. Mistakes will happen cause we are not perfect. We are all human and make mistakes. In fact I tell the folks at work 'you are not doing your job if you never make a mistake. Mistakes will happen and that's fine. It's how you handle the mistake and respond to it'.

@evoIX, I will not speak for the other board members but I can tell you I am doing what I can to help this club. When I found this club it was not very active and was on the edge of falling apart. Some might even say we are still on that path. I totally understand if you do not want to share what happened but I would like to ask a favor of you. If you see me doing anything that you feel is harmful to the club please bring it to my attention. Again I want to help improve the club and will admit I will make mistakes but I would like the chance to fix any mistakes I may make. I will try and do what I think is best for the club. But ultimately the club belongs to it's members and if the members don't feel they are a part of it then it will fail.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. - G. Santayana

You hold the history. We don't know it. None of the old crew is around to help us, maybe due to these mysterious circumstances.
I told my 6 year old son I couldn't play our board game tonight (4th time in 2 weeks) as I had a few things to do. I'm here again.

I was referencing a part of NJRC history and the knowledge to those who are going for a position may want to think about more than just a title of a forum. I wish them luck and remember why this site is not even nearly what it used to be.
Yet you will not elaborate?

As a potential new BOD, in need of advice, you tell me that I shouldn't mess with forum names and the site is &*^%, then say 'I wish them luck and remember'... the entire BOD coming in is new, we have no recollections.
It's why we need you. Its why we need the Emeritus. We need to learn the mistakes of the past.
You guys and gals are what made this club great. We ask for help. We're going to start turning things around. The ability to talk to talk to you, and other previous members, is essential in helping us rebuild.

If you're unwilling to post, please drop me a PM with concerns.
There are a number of us passionate about the club looking to regain its standing.
Gonna take time. Gonna take help. Gonna take advice.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have to agree with this statement. This thread has gotten off topic and I will fully admit I did contribute to it. If you would like to express value of the club please do that in this thread. What value would earn your membership dollars?

Now I have not been around as long as most of the folks in this club. I have heard stories of 'how it used to be'. I do not know what truly happen to drive folks away, only the folks who left truly know why they left. We can sit here all night and discuss how things used to be but that will not change what is going on now. I do agree we need to know the club's history so we can learn from any mistakes. Mistakes will happen cause we are not perfect. We are all human and make mistakes. In fact I tell the folks at work 'you are not doing your job if you never make a mistake. Mistakes will happen and that's fine. It's how you handle the mistake and respond to it'.

@evoIX, I will not speak for the other board members but I can tell you I am doing what I can to help this club. When I found this club it was not very active and was on the edge of falling apart. Some might even say we are still on that path. I totally understand if you do not want to share what happened but I would like to ask a favor of you. If you see me doing anything that you feel is harmful to the club please bring it to my attention. Again I want to help improve the club and will admit I will make mistakes but I would like the chance to fix any mistakes I may make. I will try and do what I think is best for the club. But ultimately the club belongs to it's members and if the members don't feel they are a part of it then it will fail.
Screw the like button. I need a LOVE button :smiley_simmons:

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

You hold the history. We don't know it. None of the old crew is around to help us, maybe due to these mysterious circumstances.
I told my 6 year old son I couldn't play our board game tonight (4th time in 2 weeks) as I had a few things to do. I'm here again.

Yet you will not elaborate?

As a potential new BOD, in need of advice, you tell me that I shouldn't mess with forum names and the site is &*^%, then say 'I wish them luck and remember'... the entire BOD coming in is new, we have no recollections.
It's why we need you. Its why we need the Emeritus. We need to learn the mistakes of the past.
You guys and gals are what made this club great. We ask for help. We're going to start turning things around. The ability to talk to talk to you, and other previous members, is essential in helping us rebuild.

There are a number of us passionate about the club looking to regain its standing.

Love button again !!!!! This is the sh*t we need !

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I will not elaborate on decisions made. Those who were here and left and come back infrequently can chime in.
It was just a forewarning on making decisions in position will make waves. It can also be a downfall. My purpose was not to incite past decisions but to the future of making better ones.
This board used to be FULL of life and thread posting continuously. Once decision after decision was made, the drop in # of people online and postings declined rapidly.
I hope that those that decide to run have good intentions. In terms of bringing back more members or even paying members and vendors. One thing leads to the next. I am not a know it all and not someone important on these boards to make the determining factor on how NJRC will get back there.
It benefits me having a board that I could speak to locals for issues so hope that next person does well.
BTW, I was a paid member and having a free shirt etc, would not entice me as well to join. What made me join was being part of a local community that had a lot of knowledge and wealth to increase my understanding of the hobby I loved.
Either way, sorry for the long post. GL to everyone that is running for a position. May the force be with you!

Sorry, but I am still lost. I am not good at riddles and I am sure most of us here are just trying to understand your post.
It is meaningless to me without whatever so called history your are taking about that the new crew here is totally unaware off.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor

PM??? Really ? Is he not claiming he left because of some BS decisions? I need to know what decisions. I am a paid member here and every other member has a right to know what the issue is - period. Speak up or shussh.. No 2 ways about that.

The first step in rebuilding this club should be .......... Transparency and I believe the new board is onboard with that.

Sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OK - So I just looked up @evoIX
His last post was June 2010 on our forums. Then he came back Jan 2018.

So whatever he/she is talking about is old, like jurassic era old. So unless he/she clearly states what it was, there is no point in responding to this thread anymore.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
"The membership is 12.67 what do you expect?"

If you don’t think this is a valid point I don’t know what to say. The attitude of being owed something is a huge problem. It shouldnt be what do I get it should be what can I do to help. Everyone wants wants wants but when it comes down to it no one wants to help. Let’s have a swap, help is asked for and no one wants to. Let’s do a group buy, “the discounts aren’t enough.” We help out at RAP for a donation to the club and once again no one wants to step up but those volunteering see members at the show. This will be my last response on these topics especially with all the “pm me for what’s wrong” or cryptic posts about bad decisions that no one will talk about. I wish the club the best of luck and I hope everyone saying they are willing to help actually does this time around.

Last edited:
J

Jason Magliaro

If you don’t think this is a valid point I don’t know what to say. The attitude of being owed something is a huge problem. It shouldnt be what do I get it should be what can I do to help. Everyone wants wants wants but when it comes down to it no one wants to help. Let’s have a swap, help is asked for and no one wants to. Let’s do a group but, “the discounts aren’t enough.” We help out at RAP for a donation to the club and once again no one wants to step up but those volunteering see members at the show. This will be my last response on these topics especially with all the “pm me for what’s wrong” or cryptic posts about bad decisions that no one will talk about. I wish the club the best of luck and I hope everyone saying they are willing to help actually does this time around.
someone joins as a paying member, the expectation is there is some sort of benefit. For me, I don't care about the $12 and I feel I've already received my moneys worth. participated in a group buy, attended a meeting and joined some good conversations in the forum. The reality is most people will join with the intention of being involved in the club when it's convenient for them. They will not want to help run things and honestly, it shouldn't be expected. If help is needed with things, there needs to be communication to all the members (paid and free). There needs to be a pinned message showing what we as a club are trying to accomplish this year (maybe there is?). Also, maybe a monthly call that discusses what's coming up, do we have/need coverage and issues we are facing and how to tackle. It's like anything else, the volunteers are always a select few who are trying to juggle too much (and BTW - thank you). I'm glad to help when I can, but I can't help if I'm not aware of what help is needed.

Perhaps my point was a little off the mark and I apologise for that. Maybe wording it better my thoughts on this is simple, for months the common topic on the forums are what is going on with the club why are we having trouble with membership, how can we make things better, this was most recently followed up by the admin staff elections and campaigning talks about changes to come and how we as a club are gonna make those things better... I feel we have a lot of good canidates and we also have a lot of double run positions even during these elections members have posted how we can better the club and even add more staff by making,the extras from double run spots staff members to take the load off .. But sadly right after all the talks of changes the responses went right back to we will discuss these things in the future after such and such happens ECT.. We just talked about doing these things better yet we went right back to the old responses.

Members not participating is one,thing the problem is we need more members .. More paid members, I see the benefits of being a paid member from the support of other members alone but maybe others don't ... I get it 12 dollars isnt much but we can do better we need to do better and when members see a response like its 12 bucks what do you expect coming from an admin that tells them this is the best your gonna get take it or leave it.. And that saddens me and if those running for positions who talked a good talk in,there campaigns don't see that ... That's sad as well

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This thread is a perfect example of what I've been saying regarding bridging the gap between the "Old Guard" and the new reefers...

We have guys like @kschweer (This is the same guy that drove hours and has gone above and beyond for me and lot of people he barely knew.... so his ethics and selflessness is unquestionable to me and anybody that knows him... so to see him go off like this is eye opening ) ,@redfishbluefish , @Sunny etc... that have become so jaded because of the demands of the club and trying to run it\care without much help from previous BODs etc ... that they have become disenfranchised.

Then we have new folks that join that see things different....

I will be the first to admit that @evoIX maybe should've posted his concern out in the open or at least provide constructive critcism with valid points. But he did reach out to me via PM and explain what he meant. Not everyone is comfortable voicing thoughts in public that is okay.... as long as the message gets heard somehow

But what we have to stop doing as a community is railing on people and driving them away.... every time we do that we loss part of our mission. I can tell you for a fact that is a major reason a lot of folks have left....

We need to have a constructive environment where we can agree to disagree without getting personal.... This will foster conversation and exchange of ideas.....

I believe you learn more from negative comments than from positive ones.....

lets sing "cumbaya" . and move forward guys.... we need everyone on board.... Assuming everything holds up...

This board will be transparent that is guaranteed....

You can post any comments you want about me in public or private.. I don't care and have thick skin.... I, like everyone else volunteered to make things better..... so i will see through the rants and gleam possible changes... but the key is comments like...

YOU SUCK...... does nothing

This is much more helpful.....

Your decison to do XXXX sucks b\c it will do this... maybe try this or etc.... is much better and something that the BOD can use to get better!!!!!

Thank you