• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diana’s build

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had seen sticking out of the rock the profile of the 5 antennas on its front mouth area earlier yesterday morning. I though it was the legs of a baby Brittle Star fish. Boy was I wrong on what it really was. Well I hope it's dead now. I left the rock in the Brute can and the water is cold. I decided not to place that rock back into the display. I still have the clicking sounds coming from the same island of rocks that this rock came from.

eholceker

NJRC Member
I had seen sticking out of the rock the profile of the 5 antennas on its front mouth area earlier yesterday morning. I though it was the legs of a baby Brittle Star fish. Boy was I wrong on what it really was. Well I hope it's dead now. I left the rock in the Brute can and the water is cold. I decided not to place that rock back into the display. I still have the clicking sounds coming from the same island of rocks that this rock came from.

Where did you get the live rock from? And if you get that mantis don't kill it. I will take it.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
dame mantis is still clicking. The rocks are from kp aquatics. Got it around jan of this year. I qt them for a few weeks. Thought i got everything bad out of them

eholceker

NJRC Member
dame mantis is still clicking. The rocks are from kp aquatics. Got it around jan of this year. I qt them for a few weeks. Thought i got everything bad out of them
So random question. Why wouldn't you want the Mantis? They are pretty darn cool. It is very likely a smasher. The spearers live in the sand bed and wouldn't be in the rock. Chances are very likely you either have one of these two guys. Unless you have small tridacnid clams I would just let it do its thing. Try feeding some food on a stick where you are hearing the clicking. My mantis, a spearer, is probably my most interactive animal and if I didn't have maxima clams in all my tanks would probablly have smasher in all my aquariums.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
.....Why wouldn't you want the Mantis? They are pretty darn cool. ....

Out of fear that it would kill/eat my fish. I had 4 fish in the tank....2 clowns, 1 Helfrichi firefish and 1 male black fin McCosker Wrasse. The Helfrichi and McCosker disappered overnight in the same week back in May. I now don't know if it is the thing making the clicking sound (caught a quick glimse of and I saw green/red. ) or was it the Bobbit that kill them.

I have on order from reefsquarantinedfish.com 4 fishes that I want in the tank...Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, Court Jester goby, Midas blenny and Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse. I have a few weeks before they will be shipped. Would the Mantis kill my fish? I don't know much about them

eholceker

NJRC Member
Out of fear that it would kill/eat my fish. I had 4 fish in the tank....2 clowns, 1 Helfrichi firefish and 1 male black fin McCosker Wrasse. The Helfrichi and McCosker disappered overnight in the same week back in May. I now don't know if it is the thing making the clicking sound (caught a quick glimse of and I saw green/red. ) or was it the Bobbit that kill them.

I have on order from reefsquarantinedfish.com 4 fishes that I want in the tank...Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, Court Jester goby, Midas blenny and Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse. I have a few weeks before they will be shipped. Would the Mantis kill my fish? I don't know much about them

I mean anything is possible but smashing mantis shrimp eat crustaceans and gastropods. The clicking you were hearing is the Mantis making its burrow in the rock. A tiny Mantis shrimp wouldn't devour a McCosker and a firefish in one night. Put a peice of shrimp on a skewer in front of the area you hear the clicking and just watch it for a bit and see what comes out. I also don't think the bobbit worm would do that type of damage overnight either. I actually have one of them also, haha.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I’m in located in Cape Coral, FL. I’m staying at my condo for a week. Hopefully my sons done kill my tank.
9B0A5F5A-452E-4450-A23C-60B29AF65207.jpeg

this is my view from the condo. I’ll be scuba diving tomorrow. The water in Sanabel was like bathtub warm yesterday approximately 90

You might be in for a battle... I got KP Aquatics rocks and had an absolute nightmare with a colony of pistol shrimps. I thought it was one or two but it ended up being like a dozen of them and the battle lasted AGES. It was horrible. If you're interested I think it starts on this page of R2R.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I’m in located in Cape Coral, FL. I’m staying at my condo for a week. Hopefully my sons done kill my tank.
View attachment 44854

this is my view from the condo. I’ll be scuba diving tomorrow. The water in Sanabel was like bathtub warm yesterday approximately 90
enjoy !!!!!! send pics !!!

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I realized I haven’t done an update in a while. Tank is doing well….hope I didn’t jinks it. Alk is at 7. If I go higher I start to loose color. I was away in Florida two weeks ago. I left my boys to feed the fish. The doser was just put on before I left. Alk went up to 7.8. Just got it back to 7 yesterday. Nitrates are 2 and phosphate 0.01.

T5 just went off

8D108100-0B6D-4225-AF58-AFD5BD934919.jpeg