• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diana’s build

Paul B

NJRC Member
Diana, leave the flatworms alone. Free, not to cute livestock. They come and go in my reef yearly and sometimes I have millions of them, then they goto Bayone New Jersey or Disneyland and disappear.

Forget them and go out to breakfast, have the French Toast. If I dumped my tank every time I found a flatworm, I would have a really wet floor.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Awww @NikkiT! That is sweet of you. Sorry for the late reply. My hubby had been sick so I haven’t been on here. Since I was taking care of him, I decided to treat myself and I bought corals to replace the two corals I threw out.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Now I have a question! I have a sunset stylo that is on it’s own shelf. Shelf is 6”x6”. Can I add another coral to that shelf or is it better to let the stylo have the whole shelf?

Second question: I have a cyphastra and a Jack o lantern leptoseris that I haven’t glued down yet. Should they not be on the same shelf? Can an Acro be on the same shelf with one of these or not s good idea. I have three shelves left on the structure that are empty.

Attachments

• E087E155-FD9D-4561-A53B-1AD9A8861034.jpeg
    E087E155-FD9D-4561-A53B-1AD9A8861034.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 28
Stylos. Are peaceful (as far as corals go) and don’t fare well against other corals but they can usually handle other “poras” Touching them. I say this of course with a grain of salt as all corals are individuals (I know... odd thing to say about a colony based animal) but I’m sure you understand what I mean. In short. I’m comfortable with them near similar species but keep in mind they grow fairly fast and can crowd each other in a short time

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
The tank looks great.
I try to keep encrusting corals away from branching coral. I don’t worry about putting corals of different types in close proximity of one another as long as I go in knowing there normal growth patterns and my willingness to (Whack) them down when they get close enough to touch.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
About 5 different days in the past 3 weeks I heard a faint click sound. It was usually one click and sometimes twice. I thought it was the thermostat cord head getting blown by the power head against the glass. I now thinking differently. Monday morning my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse disappeared. This morning my Helfrichi firefish is missing. I know they didn’t go into the overflow box (they are covered) and not on the floor since that has a net cover. The only other mobile things in the tank are two baby clown fish, 3 snails (2 empty shells found last month), tux urchin, 2 brittle star fish and worms. Back in January I purchased live rock from Florida which I qt. Got some nasty critters off of it but I may have missed one. I think I may have a mantis

Diana I think you should get to see in the middle of the night and catch him up.. and cover all possibilities. If it’s there you’ll see it

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That would explain the disappearance. Maybe setup a camera during the night and check the next day.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
check the tank late night w a red light. you may have to hang around and wait. keep us posted

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Could it be a small pistol? I've had 2 mantis over the years, both clubbers. Neither ever attacked a fish. Inverts were in the 'light snack' category for both. Both would, however, burrow down into the sand under the rocks and smash at the glass on the bottom of the tank to try to get deeper. If you don't have paint on the bottom of the tank and can look up from underneath, a visible area of missing sand might indicate one is digging and punching. Just a thought to help try to figure it out.

You can also put a piece of raw meat on a skewer and drop it so the meat is on the sand near the front of the tank then move away so it cant see you. If its a mantis it'll probably be out in a few minutes after it scouts the area.

If you do have one and catch it, and would like rid of it, I'd be happy to set it up in its own place.

And, HMD :)

Last edited: