• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diana’s build

Diana. If you haven’t trashed it yet. Please post pic of scallop. I understand your hesitation. But if there is no crack or Fisher than it is fine. A scallop is essentially no different then if you ground an edge. This is of course unless the rubber gasket that gets compressed between the bulkhead and glass does not fill the depression. Simply filling the tank and cap the bulkhead (so you can fill it higher than the hole) and this will let you know if it is fine.

Diana. If you haven’t trashed it yet. Please post pic of scallop. I understand your hesitation. But if there is no crack or Fisher than it is fine. A scallop is essentially no different then if you ground an edge. This is of course unless the rubber gasket that gets compressed between the bulkhead and glass does not fill the depression. Simply filling the tank and cap the bulkhead (so you can fill it higher than the hole) and this will let you know if it is fine.

Agree
You could also add liquid plastic to bond that area and use sand paper to even it out..

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Here is the 40g. I can go to petco today since it’s now on sale.

Attachments

• 60E25A45-8FFC-439E-955C-6DE9299D2132.jpeg
    60E25A45-8FFC-439E-955C-6DE9299D2132.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 43ECF1C3-9F1C-4501-BEB9-7ACEE9ACFA62.jpeg
    43ECF1C3-9F1C-4501-BEB9-7ACEE9ACFA62.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 9C1B4FE3-0959-4DD1-AFAB-2454353E1023.jpeg
    9C1B4FE3-0959-4DD1-AFAB-2454353E1023.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
That is a pretty bad scallop. I still think it’s safe but totally understand why you would want the warm and fuzzy of replacing it. Did the drill wobble while drilling. That’s what usually causes a scallop. That and to much pressure. Strait and slow. Is the key.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I suggest getting one of these just to help guide and keep the bit centered. I use it all the time when i need to drill glass and works great. in the beginning don't add pressure, just let the bit to the work, all you're doing is really keeping the drill centered. Also, tape the other side where the whole will be, this minimizes scallops since the glass is being supported and wont break prematurely due to the pressure of the bit.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I also used a 20 gallon tank to practice making holes. I made like 6 holes before I felt comfortable. I also use a plug drill I feel for this work the torc is stronger verses the battery. I also use a new diamond bit every time I drill a tank.
Breaking a tank while drilling is a reefer badge of honor.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Diana,
When I drilled my old 40 i put two beams on the ground and placed the tank on them, with the side i wanted to drill on the bottom (closest to the floor/ground).
Then I filled that side of the tank with water so I had a 1/2” layer of coolant/lubricant - the lip of the tank keeps the water in.
Then I drilled down from the inside of the tank, letting the weight of the drill do most of the work.
It worked out very well doing it this way.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just finished drilling two holes....clean too! 30 minutes. I will do the return hole tomorrow. My lower back is tired from bending over

Attachments

• 0483802B-8BA1-48D2-9298-C6454C505AC1.jpeg
    0483802B-8BA1-48D2-9298-C6454C505AC1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s looks great. Why are you doing a 3rd hole? Those 40 breeder glasses are very thin and are not made to have 3 hole drilled on one side. I would have made just one hole for a Drain and one hole for a return. You could also add the return using a U tube return.

Attachments

• C9DDA066-7508-486F-931E-B148661D23F7.png
    C9DDA066-7508-486F-931E-B148661D23F7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
That’s looks great. Why are you doing a 3rd hole? Those 40 breeder glasses are very thin and are not made to have 3 hole drilled on one side. I would have made just one hole for a Drain and one hole for a return. You could also add the return using a U tube return.

The two holes are for the Modular Marine overflow...it's a bean animal.

I had no idea that it's wrong to drill 3 holes in a 40B?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

For that size tank the glass they use is very thin. Especially petco tanks.
You can do anything you want. I am also sure some one will post they drilled 3 holes with no problem.

I only drill two holes on one side. I have never needed or used a emergency drain.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

not wrong just preference for some people, I have drilled 4 holes without issue in the past. Amado is not wrong in regards to more holes will compromise the glass strength but an additional smaller hole at the top portion for yours would be no issue, IMHO

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wouldn't the emergency drain be part of the overflow box? I believe it has a piece of PVC that sits an inch higher than the water levek.
In other sites I have seen the return split in the back with a T going into the sump. Both pipes had separate valves for control.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wouldn't the emergency drain be part of the overflow box? I believe it has a piece of PVC that sits an inch higher than the water levek.
In other sites I have seen the return split in the back with a T going into the sump. Both pipes had separate valves for control.
Yes the bean has three drains and the 3rd one is the emergency

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
A pic may help. I think MarkC had two holes and 3 in overflow box but maybe it was external.