• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dive Certification (Express your interest in a class here)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For those of you not certified, who would like to become certified, let's express our interest here to see if we have enough folks to hold our own class and begin to explore our options!

C

concept3

count me in, but would like to know how much and how long are the certs usually good for?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Certs are good for life. Some resorts will make you take a refresher if you haven't been actively diving. When we went to Jamaica last year we had dove the Belmar boat basin 2 weeks before so we were exempt from the refresher. If not for that we both would have been gearing up at the bottom of a pool first.

Cost I don't know... hopefully we'll get some input from our resident expert on that one!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I talked to my dive shop owner. Price is around $350 per person. You have to supply you're own mask, finns, and wet suit. There's 5 classes. 2 to 3 hours a class. I asked about a groupe discount. I didn't mention no name. I need the officers permission to work on the clubs discount, or I can give someone his info to contact him. I thought a few prices is better than one.

eholceker

NJRC Member
if everyone is going to go get certified I may do my rescue dive certification along with you guys. Prices range any where from $300 through $400 depending on where you go. I highly recomend Divers Two in Avon. Very good dive instructors there. If you went to get certified now you would do your pool right away and open water once the water temp breaks 50. diving in New Jersey is one of the hardest places to dive. your looking at anwhere from 0-15 foot visibilty, strong currents, and freezing cold water. On top of that you have the largest army of the meanest blue crabs you will ever see.I got my certification when I was in Hawaii. I went PDIC because the training is a lot harder and much more student orientated then PADI. A PDIC Open Water Diver is trained the same as an Advanced Open Water PADI diver. I personally perfer NAUI over PADI as well. To me PADI is like marinedepotlive and PDIC and NAUI are like reefer madness!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
eholceker said:
To me PADI is like marinedepotlive and PDIC and NAUI are like reefer madness!

Ouch! (says the PADI certified diver! :))

Getting a whole crew certified and doing the Belmar Basin over the summer would be a lot of fun. I'd even suggest a party dive on one of the boats in the area, but it has to be PERFECT conditions or Phyl and I will Chumming!

i cant dive :( , i have problems with blood circulation,hmmmm thinking about it if i get myself a tunze in a arm or something that will give me enought circulation i think ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John. Greg and I are working out a dive off our boats already. We can only fit 14 on the 2 boats. We're trying to get other people with boats to fit more people.

eholceker

NJRC Member
haha look what I started. Nothing wrong with being PADI certified. IMO experience is what counts. I consider myself a decent diver and have been diving for 6 years and only certified for 2!