• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dive Certification (Express your interest in a class here)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When we went to get certified there was another diver from Austalia there..

He told us what PADI really stands for:

Pay And Die Instantly!

Just what we wanted to hear before getting certified!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like we definitely have enough people for a "South" class. How many of you are from North of the Raritan River?

This isn't something that's planned or scheduled at this point... it is something that's a brainstorming thing.

I'd be interested in doing this if classes were in SJ. I could attend anything in the Trenton to Vineland area.

We could schedule a group trip to Florida or the Carib for the open dive. :)

Carlo

Carlo, I totally agree, it would be a great trip!!! I know a spot in Panama that is absolutely AWESOME!!! Best thing is, is that you don't even have to go diving, you can just sit on the dock and look down lol.

I am south of the Raritan. I'll go wherever the class is :D /giggle

Tom

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If we can find a common Pool that won't charge lots of money (anyone havesome contacts?), we can put together a course (NAUI) pretty reasonably (about $210, plus whatever the pool charges/divided by the number of people). So if you know a YMCA pool or pool in the area.

To restate what someone already said, its all about experience. As a wreck divemaster off the Jersey Coast (with lots of boats and dive shop) I NEVER let anyone dive without an instructor or divemaster if all there diving (based on log books) is Reef. Not matter how long you have been diving.

Most of the modern day wreck diving equipment and techniques were created by 3 or 4 of the wreck dive shops here in Jersey.

-Phil
NAUI DM #35147

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As far as "C" cards, the agency doesn't really matter for basic Open Water training for Reef diving (shallow water less than 60ft).

for Wreck diviing, Technical diving, depths beyond 60', I belive NAUI to have the best overall programs. Until a few years ago, there were 7 certifying agencies, but now based on a Instructor Interagency Exchange system, there really is only 3, with NAUI being the biggest in the US, PADI being the biggest in Europe and Australia.

In reality, the "C" card really means nothing, it is all about experience, maturity, and in some cases the level of the equipment. (Doubles, Dry Suit, Alternate air supply/Pony bottle, Upline reels.... all equipment not normally seen with reef diving).

I would be interested in SJ and could get one or two more people also. Just would need to know when, where, and how much. Also, weekends would be ideal(i work rotating shifts)

Hi... I run a Dive Shop in Central Jersey Shore area and would be willing offer a group discount to people within this group if there is enough interest let me know. I can also help with any general Scuba questions or concerns....

Thanks, Tom

Hello Tom,

Can you tell us what city the training would be done at? How many people would you need to give a group discount and what type of price would it be if enough people did it. Also what certification do you do?

Thanks

Hi...Sorry for lack of details been busy....

It is Professional Divers in Neptune City. We teach NAUI courses and can provide PADI if absolutely necessary. The Basic Course pricing is $300 plus book&DVD package. Our price is all inclusive for the entire course there are no extra hidden costs.The only thing you will need to provide is basic equipment (Mask,snorkel,fins...For checkout dives in NJ you will also need boots, gloves, hood, weightbelt,and knife). All other costs are included in course we don't charge extra for registration/card fees, checkout dives, or equipment needed for pool and checkout dives (tank, regulator, BC Jacket, and wetsuit is all included. You can also take a look at our course flyer herehttp://www.professionaldiversinc.com/basiccourse.doc If there is a minimum of 5 people I will provide a package/group deal for them. Any questions on course or any Scuba related questions are welcome.

Thanks, Tom

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like a good deal. What happened to all the interested parties?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikem said:
Sounds like a good deal. What happened to all the interested parties?

I'm still interested. I just need to get a new wet suit but must sell my old one first.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Grew out of it like most of us? Post it here, see if theres any interests.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll lend someone all my gear. They can put that money towards the cert.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikem said:
Grew out of it like most of us? Post it here, see if theres any interests.

Yeah and I only got to use it once too. :(

It's a 2 peice farmer john 6.5mm. Reinforced knees and elbows with a spine pad.

Looking to get $150 or BO.