• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

FENG claims he has water that wont cyle

Im not sure if many of you have visited feng but he has a store in dunellen nj. Great guy. Ive been going there for my premade saltwater for awhile. He fills up a 10 gal for 5 bucks. Not bad if you ask me. Anyway im starting a new tank. My original tank I used nutri sea water in the beginning with live rock to cycle my tank. It took about 2 weeks for the cycle to finish. When I sutmbled upon fengs store I found a good source of saltwater. Ive been using it ever since and have had no problems. Recently I told him Im starting a new tank and debating whether to get live or dry rock, and the topic cycling came up. He said with my saltwater no cycling you can just start putting in livestock. I didnt quite understand and he could not elaborate as I am not good at understanding of much he says with his strong accent. Anyways im turning to the experts. Is this possible? Starting a new tank and no cyclying will take place if I use his water? Im sacred to do it and thinking of doing it exactly like I started my orginal tank with nutri sea water and live or dry rock (still debating). I did notice his setup in the back where I get my salt water. Its a big tank maybe 75 gal im not sure that is connected to a dropper that drops small drops of water to the tank every 5 seconds I guess. It must take days to fill up the tank but that dropper directly connects to his main tank. Im presuming the saltwater he sells comes from his main tank. I remember asking him how many times does he cange his water in his main tank and he told me everyday! I couldnt believe it when he told me that but he sais yes everyday. Anyway ive never had problems with his water, my levels have been spot on and have had no problems. Any insight?!?!?!?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The bacteria that creates the cycle in our tanks does not live in the water column but rather in the rocks and substrate. Using any water will not prevent your tank from cycling.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
panmanmatt said:
The bacteria that creates the cycle in our tanks does not live in the water column but rather in the rocks and substrate. Using any water will not prevent your tank from cycling.
+1 Cycle the tank just like you did before. You may want to extend that cycle period to a month to be on the safe side.

Bob

+2

Even if u took live rock from someone elses system and added sand and water in a tank at your house, you'd still have some kind of cycle. Might b on a smaller scale, but still gonna b a period when params spike. Just wait out the cycle

If it is coming out of his display you are buying ,how can isay this,used water. Some of it's nutients have been consumed by his system as well as waste being introduced to this water. It is basically like using water change water from someone's tank to fill yours . I'm not saying,so don't jump on me,that it is dirty or bad but it is not freshly made saltwater. Ok I was off topic,answer to your question is your tank will need to cycle sand,live rock,filter bio material with any water.

qwik said:
If it is coming out of his display you are buying ,how can isay this,used water. Some of it's nutients have been consumed by his system as well as waste being introduced to this water. It is basically like using water change water from someone's tank to fill yours . I'm not saying,so don't jump on me,that it is dirty or bad but it is not freshly made saltwater.

i was thinking the same thing. Trio#3 - you sure you are getting water from the display tank? that would seem unusual.

Newly made saltwater should have zero risk of introducing any type of illness. If as you describe it the water is coming from the main tank, there will ALWAYS (however miniscule) be a possibility that you might introduce whatever good stuff or bad stuff (e.g. heaven forbid the dreaded ich, flatworms, red bugs) from his display to yours. Of course if his tank is clean (which i'm sure it is) then the likelihood is nil, but why chance it?

But then again - this may be just some EnGRish translation that was lost and you came away with the wrong impression. I went to his store long ago and he gave solid advice back then to me - so I'd be surprised if he was doing this.

Again im not a hundred percent sure. Im not looking to bad mouth the guy, hes great and knows his stuff. Maybe im wrong, but why does he keep telling me my tank wont cycle, hus water us like plyg in and play. I think im gonna cycle the water like i did before. Thanks for the advice.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He changes a lot of water daily. I'd have no problem using his "used" sw. It's better thant he stuff I make fresh, but the looks of his tanks!

The cycle is in the rocks. Largly already cycled rocks will not need much of a cycle. Use most of the rock from another system in your house and you have "plug and play".

Phyl said:
He changes a lot of water daily. I'd have no problem using his "used" sw. It's better thant he stuff I make fresh, but the looks of his tanks!
I'm not saying his display tank is not beautiful but If his used is better than your new it might be time to change brands. ;D And yes this is coming from someone without a tank ;D

malulu

NJRC Member
his customer know the water was from his display tank, they are draining the water from the sump to the bucket right there, and sometime water was draw from his frag tank. ::)

[edit]
oh, and yes i will still cycle my new tank if i get water from him just on the safe side.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL, Paul... I may have exaggerated, but the point is that he's changing 100+g a day, every day. It's good enough. Would be interesting to test the stats on it though.

malulu

NJRC Member
like Phyl mentioned, IF you have live-rocks from a good condition tank with Feng's magic water, the cycle should be much much faster.
:p

Oh My God !!!
Just put a friggin bullet in my head! This thread is an embarrassment.

FYI just so everyone is up to date on new cutting edge technology....
According to Tony Vargas the most successful aquariums are now using Synthetic salt or natural seawater, a protein skimmer, and some type of lighting. Can someone PLEASE contact Tony and tell him about Fengs magic used water!!!

Put a fork in me IM DONE !!

malulu

NJRC Member
Scott,

not sure your noticed, when i say magic water, i am just kidding around with it.
;D

i am just referring - if you used a good source of already established tank water and live-rocks, your startup cycle with be shorter, that's all.
:p

[edit]
in my own opinions.

For what it is worth:

I have only been to Red Sands 1 time and had a pretty good but quick talk with Feng. He seems to have a lot of experience and obviously has a nice display tank. One thing that I gathered is that he seems to try and take cost saving approaches where he can (and in a hobby that many people just can't afford, I don't blame him in the least). One example is his makeup water is mostly Instant Ocean mixed a little with "whatever the cheapest good brand" is at the time. Some people will scoff at that claiming that you have to be consistent and only use the same "expensive" brand exclusively.

So in a hobby that is by no means an exact science, he seems to be having good success with his tanks.

Now that being said, it is obviously important to know what you are putting in your own tank and the quality of the water you are starting with so testing is a must (coming from someone who wasn't originally testing and was buying RO/DI water from a LFS that turned out to be poor quality TAP WATER).

While there is no "Magic Water", if he changes his water regularly and you test it, it should work fine in most tanks. The key is you must test and then also realize that it might be low on trace elements that you can't test for.

scooter1010 said:
Oh My God !!!
Just put a friggin bullet in my head! This thread is an embarrassment.
FYI just so everyone is up to date on new cutting edge technology....
According to Tony Vargas the most successful aquariums are now using Synthetic salt or natural seawater, a protein skimmer, and some type of lighting. Can someone PLEASE contact Tony and tell him about Fengs magic used water!!!

Put a fork in me IM DONE !!

Why?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 99% of the good bacteria we want in our tanks found on the rocks and other media. Thus regardless of the water it shouldn't have an affect on the cycle, EXCEPT that it contains nitrates and other items in the water that we want to remove (hence a water change).