• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Grow out Summer 2018 DISCUSSION

I have mine in the tank, but got sick and while sick had all my acros and Montis start bleaching and rtn. Soooo.... the picture has kind of gone backburner for the moment. Ill try to get the pic over the next day or so.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

horseplay

NJRC Member
any reason why we arent taking pics with a ruler?

We should, according to the rules. I will take one tonight. we can judge by the size relative to the frag plug. It’s difficult to compare growth. Some encrust and spread more, some grow just vertically. Ideally weight should be compared.

Frag size is not as important as one might think though.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Up to everyone. I was hoping the frags would be more uniform in size but they’re pretty varying unfortunately. Should we make all photos from here on out require rulers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
As someone on the outside, I would think to be fair each person should be using a ruler. What ever ruler the user uses they should try to reuse the same ruler for the first and last photo

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
We should, according to the rules. I will take one tonight. we can judge by the size relative to the frag plug. It’s difficult to compare growth. Some encrust and spread more, some grow just vertically. Ideally weight should be compared.

Frag size is not as important as one might think though.

how would we do weight if i glue it to a rock? won't work.

As someone on the outside, I would think to be fair each person should be using a ruler. What ever ruler the user uses they should try to reuse the same ruler for the first and last photo

i said this last week since all initial frags will vary greatly (it's difficult for @hcker99 to cut everyone to about an inch). mine came it around 1/2" while others look much more than an inch. ending 6 month length - initial length. largest growth should win. it's really the only way to do it. My ruler is next to my tank which I'll be using to take a picture each month :tranquillity::dance:

horseplay

NJRC Member
Measuring weight is impossible. I know。I think at the end of day we still need a committee to decide if the SPS competition is close.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Unfortunately there was no way to make everyone's exactly one inch. We tried to get as close as possible but I also wanted to make sure everyone had a good looking cut. Also a healthy cut. Using a ruler is a good way to get an accurate starting point. Remember though it's not who's grows taller it's whos grows the most. So if that acro doesn't get taller but encrusts all over your rockwork I'd count that as well.

If you like I can play judge at the end of the contest.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Unfortunately there was no way to make everyone's exactly one inch. We tried to get as close as possible but I also wanted to make sure everyone had a good looking cut. Also a healthy cut. Using a ruler is a good way to get an accurate starting point. Remember though it's not who's grows taller it's whos grows the most. So if that acro doesn't get taller but encrusts all over your rockwork I'd count that as well.

I'm good with you being the judge.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

I wouldn't mind this either!

Picked up my zoas today and just wanted to say thank you to Mark and for everyone who set this up. Of course picked up some more stuff from him and chatted for a bit, if you guys aren't close, his RAP booth should be pretty stocked with some amazing corals.

did the same, picked up a few things as well while I was there. Can't wait to see what Mark has in store for RAP.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
When do monthly pictures have to be posted? My waters been cloudy from a recent diamond watchman addition but it’s clearing up and I just found a fourth zoa polyp here today. Psyched about that.

Any time within the month. Photos are due at midnight on the last day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk