• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help: Lost most of my fish today really worried!!!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Didn't those fish come from Lithivm? If so they were a donation to the club...

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rodclement said:
Hey Sid I am holding this beautiful Marrom Clown that was donated to the CLub if you want him/her for your tank just let me know and I will bring it to your house! Glad things are looking up for you!

Rod
Thanks Rod and I really appreciate the offer but one of the three fish that survived was a maroon.. The other two was a blue damsel and a engineer goby

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, they were donations to the club, of course with the intent to give them a good home, but I'm not sure that meant for free. In fact, The club has always taken donations with the purpose of raising money for NJRC.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know the source, when Brian brought them in to the meeting and released them in my tank told me and others that the fish were there for a good home and that is how they were handled. During the business portion of the meeting that we had that day, it was announced that the two fish were free to a good home, the blue hyppo went to panmanmat I believe, please correct me if I am wrong, and the clownfish went to redfishbluefish and later returned to me.

At no point then or since, has anyone told me anything diferent and there is certainly no intent on anyone in taking anything away from the Club. If these fish were intended for raffle or sold at cost, they could have been added to the raflle that day and any of the people that were there could have bid on it.

After the fish went to redfishbluefish and he decided not to keep it, he tried to sell it here, at a low price and no one wanted it so he brought it back to my house so now it is back looking for a good home.

Did I miss something?

Rod

I have a question. I thought all things donated to the club were to be given a value from the treasurer and put into quicken as an asset, for tax reasons when it is sold as a raffle? am I wrong in thinking that? Or is this something we just don't do?

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
billyr98 said:
I have a question. I thought all things donated to the club were to be given a value from the treasurer and put into quicken as an asset, for tax reasons when it is sold as a raffle? am I wrong in thinking that? Or is this something we just don't do?

Good question Billy! All I know is that in my short involvement with the BOD and the previous one, this has never happened...I know of things that were donated to the Club from fish to corals, including the ones that are in my house at the moment, and at Brian's house, and Phyl's house, and at the storage unit...and none of it has ever been entered into the records or claimed...so if that was to be the practice, it never happened...

What I proposed to Phil G., our treasurer and was meant to be included in a member comunication to come out tomorrow after the final review by the BOD is that we are going to hold a complete audit of the Club's assets from bank accounts to storage, items at members houses house, etc and the prepare a comprehensive document to release to the membership.

According to the by-laws of this Cub, an audit has to happen at the closing of every calendar year. Said audit will be handled by two BOD officers other than the Treasurer and President, plus two members of the Club that are not, and have not in the past been associated with the BOD. To the best of my knowledge such audits have never happened.

SO...on May 1, our Treasurer will have finalized our tax filings for the last fiscal year, and we will have conducted an inventory of the storage facility, with this info at hand we will release it to the membership and open the search for volunteers to hold the audit. The two volunteers will be chosen by the vice-president and the secretary...why you may ask?

The Treasurer and President have signing rights in the Clubs accounts so if anyone was trying to cover anything it would be us...the VP has no sigining rights and holds the second ranking office and the secretary will keep journals of the audit and help communication with the membership.

SO there it is, I broke the news to early but I think it's warranted since this thread has turned into that direction. The one thing I cannot do is inventory what's in peoples homes so if anyone has anything that belongs to the Club and would like to let us know you have it, we can include it in our audit. How's that for transaprency! ;D

Sid, thanks for allowing me to hijack your thread, you are a true gentleman!

Rod

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK back on track.. I don't think my Blue leather is going to make it.. kinda going a brownish color and very limp or is this normal due to the stress?.. when will i know when to call it a day on the guy?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It could be just from the stress. Unfortunately they can stay like that for a week or so until they bounce back. If the flesh is still firm then I'd leave it be for now. Try squirting it with your SeaSquirt, if it blows apart remove it, if it stays together then just leave it and keep an eye on it.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know and thanks Matt.. Well I just did the sea squirt test and not good news :( but on a brighter note the second Engineer goby just popped out :).. So just the green mandarin and maybe a peppermint shrimp is still MIA.. I say maybe on the peppermint due to the fact that i never saw it out from day one and could have died from day one..So my ammonia/crash freak out is over.. If i have time this week i might start replacing some of the same fish.. my wife told Rachael the fish was visiting over a friends ::)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is the blue leather firm or mushy feeling? If it is firm then don't worry (for now). If it is mushy and comes apart then you'll need to cut the bad part off of the leathr. They shed in times of stress or growth so some shrinkage may actually be normal right now.

I see the leather isn't good news. Sorry to hear that, but congrats on the second engineer goby coming out! Glad your losses were kept to a minimum.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Is the blue leather firm or mushy feeling? If it is firm then don't worry (for now). If it is mushy and comes apart then you'll need to cut the bad part off of the leathr. They shed in times of stress or growth so some shrinkage may actually be normal right now.

I see the leather isn't good news. Sorry to hear that, but congrats on the second engineer goby coming out! Glad your losses were kept to a minimum.
5 fish 1 peppermint shrimp and maybe one other peppermint plus one coral gone.. but it could have been worse

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Out of all the fish lost i think im more upset about the green mandarin and the yellow tang.. the green mandarin i bought a few weeks ago from a fellow member and he was doing so well.. getting nice and plump and the tang.. well just a peaceful graceful fish

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just a quick update.. PH dropped from 8.4 to 7.8.. fixed that by putting back the 2nd PH just like it was before replacing the new top frame ( no more dead spots). Nitrite spiked to 0.50 now seem to be back to 0 all other parameters seem to be ok :)