• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help panic mode

I need one of my reef peeps to give me a call and talk me down I’m just shy of a panic attack Just lost power because of the storm and I have no back up after all the time it took to get my change back to being good now this

Not sure how much power you are running but I have one of these. You might be able to get it at best buy. But it probably has to be charged first and I am not sure how long it will last. I probably need to get a backup generator for the house in general.

Attachments

• 1596557003324.png
    1596557003324.png
    141 KB · Views: 6
Hey man. Our lights have flickered a few times here already. Is your power still out? Any ETA from power company?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
My power is out, right now I'm using a fish bubbler to keep waters surface agitated.

Screenshot_20200804-124511_Chrome.jpg

Paulie, heat up water, put them in bottles and float them if you need to keep the tank warm. If you need to cool it, freeze water bottles. Use a cup and scoop water to break surface movement every few minutes for agitation to add O2 (or go buy a bubbler)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It depends, if the corals are under water and you have water movement, then a few hours and you should be ok. Assuming the tank doesn't get too cold/too hot

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
3 things to consider, things you want to avoid

Oxygen Depletion
Water temp variations
Ammonia build up (also avoid feeding your fish during an outtage)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Lastly, folks that have aio units, you want to avoid adding in that stagnate water from your rear chamber back into your tank (when power comes on) as it probably is suffering from the 3x items listed above. What I do, drain out the rear chamber(s), unplug my return pump, then refill with new water when the time is right.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You can probably apply the same to your sump. Just see it as doing a large water change.

You can probably apply the same to your sump. Just see it as doing a large water change.
Thanks for all the info. Tried to get out and buy a generated but all of them are sold out. I am hearing reports that we might not get power back for a few days. Lucky for me this tree did not fall toward the house.

Attachments

• 057354ED-AEEC-4494-AD2A-1080F279BDDE.jpeg
    057354ED-AEEC-4494-AD2A-1080F279BDDE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • D3F020F3-1ADB-4EA2-BDD6-92D948E0E408.jpeg
    D3F020F3-1ADB-4EA2-BDD6-92D948E0E408.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6