• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I need aluminum screws! Where can I buy them?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm in the process of building my new stand/canopy for my upgrade and I recently bought aluminum piano hinges for my canopy doors. Unfortunately, the hinges didn't come with screws.

I was originally going to just buy some SS screws for them, but I researched it and apparently SS will make aluminum rust when it comes into contact (dissimilar metals). So, I figured I'd just go buy some aluminum screws and avoid that issue.

Problem is, aluminum screws (in the type/size I need) are hard to find. I've tried HD, Lowes, Grainger, McMaster Carr, Fastenal, Harbor Freight, eBay, Amazon.com, and even Googled the screw description and searched through many online supply stores... and am having a hard time finding them without spending over $40. I've found some on Amazon and eBay that will work and at a decent price, but they don't have the quantity I need.

I'm looking for #6 x 1/2" or #8 x 1/2" (either will work) and I need them to have either an oval or flat head, so it sits flush when screwed in. I don't care if it's a phillips/straight slot/square/whatever driver type. I've tried searching for "wood screws" and "sheet metal screws". The hinges are 4' long and have 24 holes on each edge, so that's 48 screws per hinge. I have 2 hinges, so that means I need 96 screws. Figure a box of 100, or 2 boxes of 48/50 would be ideal.

Anyway, if anyone can help find a place to buy these, I'd appreciate it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have brass on my canopy and they really don't see water....still look brand new. Now on my stand I have HD regular kitchen cabinet hinges and I've already replaced them once....and they could probably be replaced again.....I believe that are simply a painted steal hinge.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are THESE the guys you're looking for? Make sure you predrill each hole....aluminum snaps very easily.

Thanks Paul, I think those will work! Don't worry, I was already planning on pre-drilling the holes... more to protect the oak trim wood it was going into, but also for the soft aluminum too.

How hard would it be to get SS hinges? I think aluminum hinges in a SW environment will become problematic.

I could find SS hinges, but I've already cut the Alum ones that I bought down to fit my canopy doors and I can't return them. I used a plain steel hinge on my last canopy I made about 2 years ago and although it's still in good shape I can see some rust spots forming on it. My aluminum angle that I used to hold my LED fixtures looks like it's brand new and no signs of corrosion at all. I'm pretty confident that the aluminum hinges will be fine.