• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"If you want to upgrade your tank I want you to upgrade my front porch!"

Are you gravity feeding your reactors from the drain? If so, it seems like a good idea. One less pump you will need.

Are you gravity feeding your reactors from the drain? If so, it seems like a good idea. One less pump you will need.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I have the reactor run off the manifold. It's the first port out of 4 all the way on the left.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I have the reactor run off the manifold. It's the first port out of 4 all the way on the left.

I meant the water source to run the reactors is from the DT drain(gravity) vs using a pump in the sump or off the return pump.

Gotcha. It's run off of a Reef Oct 105000 DC pump. I just made the manifold go to the top of the stand so if i needed to run lines or anything it would out of the way kind of

Since I put that drain into the Durso I have noticed that every so often it will make a flushing sound exactly like a toilet. It doesn't do it consistently but every now and again. kind of strange

9CFEFDC6-BF89-4B2B-B881-536815115F11_zpslmhglbnu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Matt, just looking at the pic with the reactor connected to the manifold... I just thought of something. You might want to flip the tubing between them so that the valve is sitting above your sump instead of outside of it. If there is ever a leak with it and/or any salt kreep building up, it might be better to be above the sump rather than on the outside. Should be pretty simple to do too.

Hey Matt, just looking at the pic with the reactor connected to the manifold... I just thought of something. You might want to flip the tubing between them so that the valve is sitting above your sump instead of outside of it. If there is ever a leak with it and/or any salt kreep building up, it might be better to be above the sump rather than on the outside. Should be pretty simple to do too.

That is a very good idea George that i missed. Good eye

Since I have to keep the skimmer in the center part of the sump I have to mod the outflow a bit. If I don't the bubbles that make it back into the DT is way too much. Other than the skimmer discharging upstream and skimming the same water more than one time think this will be a problem?
BB6B0A38-C60D-4840-BFEF-90B16873C633_zpsx1s1bzjz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D82F444D-BDB0-437F-AC3C-1CE2B0FBEA2E_zpseqmtdunt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think discharging the skimmer into that chamber will hurt, but having the adjustment valve right under the sump bracing might be an issue at some point.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the picture but with my skimmer if I did anything to re-route the discharge that resulted in a change to the back pressure in the skimmer body it would mess with the height (water depth) a lot. If it's working with that contraption you should be fine but make sure you're able to dial it in how you'd like before you commit to it.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the picture but with my skimmer if I did anything to re-route the discharge that resulted in a change to the back pressure in the skimmer body it would mess with the height (water depth) a lot. If it's working with that contraption you should be fine but make sure you're able to dial it in how you'd like before you commit to it.

It is a DC pump so i can control the flow a little bit better. I have it set on the lowest pump setting and have the gate valve wide open. so since i messed with the discharge would it make the skimmer be lower or higher in water depth? would i compensate the depth to be lower or higher?

My Chromis are still alive and eating.

I really want to put my lights over the tank and get to see what it looks like