• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Innovative Marine 30 AIO Long

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I think it's happened...

Ammonia irl appears zero
XzfCPKs.jpg

Nitrite is a hard zero !!
kEPMI0u.jpg

Nitrate is still a bit high but a water change should bring that down right ?
DZfRhtF.jpg

I think it's safe to say I'll be ordering my black and white clowns tonight or tomorrow !!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
MHO.
That ammonia still looks a .15 and that nitrate is still high in relation to ammonia.
Your ammonia (high) is still being converted to nitrItes (look good, the conversion is going well here so you have enough bacteria working), which is then being converted to nitrAtes (high) which dissolve from the system with air/water exchange.
You really want that ammonia down to a solid undeniable zeroish and that nitrate should drop with it to 5 or under. Too much ammonia will kill any life, too much nitrate will cause algae infestation.
You're close, hang out another week. More bacterial propogation and work should drop ammonia to zero and nitrates to very near zero. Hate to see you jump the gun and have a bad start.

Last edited:

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
MHO.
That ammonia still looks a .15 and that nitrate is still high in relation to ammonia.
Your ammonia (high) is still being converted to nitrItes (look good, the conversion is going well here so you have enough bacteria working), which is then being converted to nitrAtes (high) which dissolve from the system with air/water exchange.
You really want that ammonia down to a solid undeniable zeroish and that nitrate should drop with it to 5 or under. Too much ammonia will kill any life, too much nitrate will cause algae infestation.
You're close, hang out another week. More bacterial propogation and work should drop ammonia to zero and nitrates to very near zero. Hate to see you jump the gun and have a bad start.
ugh I will forgo the sales on saltwaterfish.com and recheck Friday :(

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Update POA as for fish....

Fish order:
Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred + Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred (or two blacks.. have not decided just yet)
6 Line Wrasse
Pajama or Benggai cards
Tailspot Blenny
Goby (probably watchman goby)

First order will probably be the two clowns and wrasse... or just clowns

I need fish food!!!

To start:
https://www.marinedepot.com/PE_Mysi...g)_Piscine_Energetics-QE0102-FIFDDRFL-vi.html
https://www.marinedepot.com/NLS_Nat...ife_Spectrum-NL02114-FIFDDRPT-NL02114-vi.html

Thoughts?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Definatley your nitrates are still a bit up there. You wanna wait until that vial is on the yellow side. Check back again on that in about a week.

The clowns should be fine, i would start off with them and let the tank ride out a bit to give it time to stabilize a bit.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Definatley your nitrates are still a bit up there. You wanna wait until that vial is on the yellow side. Check back again on that in about a week.

The clowns should be fine, i would start off with them and let the tank ride out a bit to give it time to stabilize a bit.

Agreed once I get the clowns I'll wait another week or two before anything else unless my parameters remain zero across the board.

I'll look into clowns on Friday so I can watch then all weekend unless my parameters appear tbe same as last night ! Very excited

I have a similar tank, Im20G peninsula. Personally I started with 1 fish a clown, (never planned 2 clowns) But I did no more than one fish at a time so the levels kept stable. Im happily running a small fuge and do a 5G waterchange weekly. I have gone longer, about 10 -12 days but the tank starts to not be as clean.

Where are you located? Ive looked at many local stores for fish and the selection may not always be great the fish I got from Aquarium Care Center have always been very healthy. Knock on wood, no illness or issues.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I have a similar tank, Im20G peninsula. Personally I started with 1 fish a clown, (never planned 2 clowns) But I did no more than one fish at a time so the levels kept stable. Im happily running a small fuge and do a 5G waterchange weekly. I have gone longer, about 10 -12 days but the tank starts to not be as clean.

Where are you located? Ive looked at many local stores for fish and the selection may not always be great the fish I got from Aquarium Care Center have always been very healthy. Knock on wood, no illness or issues.

I picked two clowns up Friday night as my parameters were perfect ! Got them from Petco and it was 30% off. Couldn't resist

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
yah bottom back between tail fin and the side fins usually looks like a long hair sticking off them i got 2 clowns 2 different stores 2 diffrent times both had it first one i got lived a week died was the only fish in my tank no coral nothing, then around a week later i got a second one from paramus store had same thing started googling found out what is was died the next day got pissed off went to paramus found every single one of their clowns had it went to hackensack all their clowns had went to clifton same thing got fed up called corporate off in petco got a $100 store credit from them about it made a huge issue took pictures and all

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
yah bottom back between tail fin and the side fins usually looks like a long hair sticking off them i got 2 clowns 2 different stores 2 diffrent times both had it first one i got lived a week died was the only fish in my tank no coral nothing, then around a week later i got a second one from paramus store had same thing started googling found out what is was died the next day got pissed off went to paramus found every single one of their clowns had it went to hackensack all their clowns had went to clifton same thing got fed up called corporate off in petco got a $100 store credit from them about it made a huge issue took pictures and all
I bought from the Paramus store... How long ago was this? I am getting nervous now :(

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
see problem with petco is all their tanks are under 1 system so its 3 tanks are under one system then the next 3 under another so if 1 tank gets sick pretty much all 3 their employees are also big time rookies which isnt a way to run a business... guys telling me you cant stop ich in their fish tanks.... like dude how about you run copper on the whole system? itll atleast try killing off some of it

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I bought from the Paramus store... How long ago was this? I am getting nervous now :(
umm last year around may? not to scare you but petco is chance store you can find rare stuff at low prices or you can find great deals but everything you get needs to be dip and quarantined if you cant quarantine like myself just dont have the room or time for it... you need watch what you get all my corals i buy from there i cut the plugs off and dip them in RX . the first time i started reefing i got myself live rock from them had those stupid vermitile snails pretty much destroyed my tank now everything i buy i scan from top to bottom rip plugs off inspect for eggs use a RX dip and flush with turkey baster havent had any issues yet knock on wood only problem i have right now....

they had 30% sale i got myself a yellow tang that was in the same tank as 3 other tangs with ich paid 30$ for the tang its a steal.... but most likely will have ich so im prepping for that battle to come

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
umm last year around may? not to scare you but petco is chance store you can find rare stuff at low prices or you can find great deals but everything you get needs to be dip and quarantined if you cant quarantine like myself just dont have the room or time for it... you need watch what you get all my corals i buy from there i cut the plugs off and dip them in RX . the first time i started reefing i got myself live rock from them had those stupid vermitile snails pretty much destroyed my tank now everything i buy i scan from top to bottom rip plugs off inspect for eggs use a RX dip and flush with turkey baster havent had any issues yet knock on wood only problem i have right now....

they had 30% sale i got myself a yellow tang that was in the same tank as 3 other tangs with ich paid 30$ for the tang its a steal.... but most likely will have ich so im prepping for that battle to come
I think I am going to purchase a QT tank and just deal with it that way. It's so expensive to buy fish online unless I am spending a lot of money to get free shipping so Petco & some other locals will be my go to

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I think I am going to purchase a QT tank and just deal with it that way. It's so expensive to buy fish online unless I am spending a lot of money to get free shipping so Petco & some other locals will be my go to
thats what im trying to do now get myself a QT my tang just popped ich when i got home so ima try and find a 20 gallon tank start cycling it and try to QT the tang in there

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
thats what im trying to do now get myself a QT my tang just popped ich when i got home so ima try and find a 20 gallon tank start cycling it and try to QT the tang in there
My thought on the whole QT process is still a bit confused. I am not sure what i'd be even looking for. I don't know the different diseases issues that could exist. I wouldn't know the medications required. I feel like my QT would consist of just having the fish in a separate tank for a week to two weeks to see if anything seems abnormal. It seems like dosing copper from the start is helpful but I am still hesitant.