• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Innovative Marine 30 AIO Long

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
So it begins! I have to back date some pictures as I've had no time to post this!

I pretty much decided I was joining the hobby in ~ 2 days. I began doing all the research day 1 and than day 2 eBay & Marine Depot held massive sales... which was obviously a sign right???... we say yes for obvious reasons. So day 2 night I spent countless hours deciding what tank to get. I originally started at 10 gallons and worked all the way to 30 gallons AIO. I was at one point with a 50 gallon tank or a 75 I don't remember. That strayed from my original plan of a really cool looking tinier tank with amazing corals to back to 30 I went.

I was not spending $315 plus on a stand so off to building I went. I spent 15 dollars on 2x4's had the screws and 30 bucks on the plywood thus far. I will eventually finish it with ship lap or some nice molding. I will forgo the door as I always feel you're shoving your head into the door to see what's going on. I will make the entire front panel removable.

W8nIYdR.jpg

k8vqXon.jpg

8ATJ0UA.jpg

Here is a pic of assorted goodies to be installed. I will update this with photos of each item later.

KeKoAGo.jpg

My tank arrived!

BJdb5qf.jpg

Beuho7r.jpg

My inner child is screaming to make a gigantic mess however, that would lead to time loss on the tank cleaning up.

XEfkyBV.jpg

Finishing the top and bottom plywood. Will be staining the outside a darker color to match surrounding wood.

FxbSF8f.jpg

RO/DI setup has begun... storage is in place..

xs4vfK9.jpg

I'll keep you posted !

Nice, I'm working on a new stand currently as well, decided to go with the removable front panel also. Excited to see how you mount your panel.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member

There are additional cross bracing screws so that 2x4 is secured on all sides. I am not worried! This is sturdier than my brothers prebuilt 65 gallon stand.

Nice, I'm working on a new stand currently as well, decided to go with the removable front panel also. Excited to see how you mount your panel.

I see there is another smart one! Yeah if I need to access anything under there or eventually install a full sump I don't wanna be craning my neck through the small door!

Every thing is awesome. And I’m excited to see your progress. But I agree with trio. Screws are for holding two Structural pieces together They are not structural on thee own. Don’t get me wrong. It will hold. But if salt creep ever gets to the screws and rots them things could go bad quickly. Granted. Your only supporting approx 250 pounds or about 60 pounds per joint. But whenever possible the riser should support the header. But I’m a paranoid over builder. I don’t know how some of the store built stands do it but they seem to defy the laws of physics with how little support they use. Soooo pay no attention to me I really am sure after you skin it you will be fine. As plywood has fantastic strength to weight ratio when used verticaly. Keep them pics coming.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Every thing is awesome. And I’m excited to see your progress. But I agree with trio. Screws are for holding two Structural pieces together They are not structural on thee own. Don’t get me wrong. It will hold. But if salt creep ever gets to the screws and rots them things could go bad quickly. Granted. Your only supporting approx 250 pounds or about 60 pounds per joint. But whenever possible the riser should support the header. But I’m a paranoid over builder. I don’t know how some of the store built stands do it but they seem to defy the laws of physics with how little support they use. Soooo pay no attention to me I really am sure after you skin it you will be fine. As plywood has fantastic strength to weight ratio when used verticaly. Keep them pics coming.

Yeah, I am a efficient builder.. I leave the anxiety & paranoia to other things. My family comes from a long line of builders / construction. It's what I do for a living. Also many LFS use just 1 2x4 base to support like 3 300 gallon tanks above each other... Salt water will not damage the screws I used! My brother and I both 180# jumped up and down on it for all intensive purposes. The moments we were making were far greater than the fish tank! My only flaw with this stand is the plywood grain is in the wrong direction. I forewent some strength in this department but again 1/2" plywood with a stud halfway through for extra support is more than sufficient.

Pics will keep coming! Tonight should be RO/DI install. :)

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Yeah, I am a efficient builder.. I leave the anxiety & paranoia to other things. My family comes from a long line of builders / construction. It's what I do for a living. Also many LFS use just 1 2x4 base to support like 3 300 gallon tanks above each other... Salt water will not damage the screws I used! My brother and I both 180# jumped up and down on it for all intensive purposes. The moments we were making were far greater than the fish tank! My only flaw with this stand is the plywood grain is in the wrong direction. I forewent some strength in this department but again 1/2" plywood with a stud halfway through for extra support is more than sufficient.

Pics will keep coming! Tonight should be RO/DI install. :)
yah the plywood will disperse the weight evenly your more than fine imo, i build my stand out of aluminium versa T grooved bars supports over 1k pounds easy feels like it moves alot but its pretty sturdy

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
3/20/19 night time update !

So I installed my RO system tonight but for some reason the float doesn't work. The auto shut off valve doesn't seem to cut the flow and begins to vibrate crazy ! Any thoughts ?

Goodies received today.. hopefully the last big purchases...
slP6KdR.jpg

RO mounting bracket installed
wMGzrPu.jpg

Hooked up and ready to roll!
sgNE94h.jpg

Close & personal
DextGx2.jpg

Someone explain why the float valve isn't shutting the auto shut off! It just vibrates crazy and slows the flow of the waste. Could it be because of water pressure ? We have really good pressure !! My run from sink to RO in my garage is like 20' could that be why?

The distance is definitely not an issue as far as high pressure. That’s unlikely. But need to know the following.
1. Are you using a pressure pump on your RODI
2. Do you know your house water pressure

I am prety sure if you had enough pressure to force the float open. Your RO system would be leaking. Most units can handle 100 PSI and most municipalities don’t exceed 50 or 60 PSI. Of course there are exceptions.

One more thing. Was just studying your pictures. Looks like your RO line is simply running into your water container. Is your float mounted. Or dare I say... floating :)

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
The distance is definitely not an issue as far as high pressure. That’s unlikely. But need to know the following.
1. Are you using a pressure pump on your RODI
2. Do you know your house water pressure

I am prety sure if you had enough pressure to force the float open. Your RO system would be leaking. Most units can handle 100 PSI and most municipalities don’t exceed 50 or 60 PSI. Of course there are exceptions.

I do not have a booster pump installed. I do not know my house water pressure but from what I see / tell compared to others it's GOOD whatever that may be.

So new additions to the story... I made ~20 gallons overnight and my DI resin is already exhausted.. my meter claims that it's 440ppm coming into the system it was 0 leaving when I went to bed coming out but now it's 22. If I'm using DI resin that fast I can assure you I'll be using 22 TDS water as this will become much more expensive than store bought water.

Something must be wrong. If you have (IF). Real high water pressure then you probably tore the RO membrane. Because you can’t exhaust the DI resin that fast. As an example. I have a made roughly 500 gallons possibly more and still have 3/4 of my resin left I think first step is to install a pressure gauge. They aren’t expensive and simple to install

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Something must be wrong. If you have (IF). Real high water pressure then you probably tore the RO membrane. Because you can’t exhaust the DI resin that fast. As an example. I have a made roughly 500 gallons possibly more and still have 3/4 of my resin left I think first step is to install a pressure gauge. They aren’t expensive and simple to install

Maybe I didn't install the membrane correctly? IE it needs to be pushed further down and water is not going through the membrane ? What's your TDS from tap? I am looking into pressure gauges. W hat are the downfalls to using 20TDS water instead of 0

The down fall is you don’t know what that 20 is composed of. For example if you have copper pipes. It could be copper. And that’s sure death for many marine animals