• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Innovative Marine 30 AIO Long

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I decided to purchase a UV sterilizer for the tank in the passed 30 minutes. I think that will work wonders - chemi clean will help out with the frag tank.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I see. I got confused. Dino, cyano what the difference haha. For dino I will give vibrant a shot. UV doesn't do much for dino. It only kills stuff in the water column.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I see. I got confused. Dino, cyano what the difference haha. For dino I will give vibrant a shot. UV doesn't do much for dino. It only kills stuff in the water column.
When the lights are turned off the dino enters the water column and than you ZAP it !

horseplay

NJRC Member
OK going back a few pages it seems you're chasing the numbers. Keep it simple, feed normal and keep nutrient level detectable until the tank matures. 30g is a small tank I will take turns remove the rocks and scrub and vinegar bath them to remove the dino. No frequent water changes please. The tank will eventually reach a equilibrium. Consider getting a refugium for it too.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
OK going back a few pages it seems you're chasing the numbers. Keep it simple, feed normal and keep nutrient level detectable until the tank matures. 30g is a small tank I will take turns remove the rocks and scrub and vinegar bath them to remove the dino. No frequent water changes please. The tank will eventually reach a equilibrium. Consider getting a refugium for it too.
A refugium would just further strip nutrients ? I think the tank is pretty mature as Coraline is growing everywhere. I think I simply let my phosphates bottom out and caused a dino outbreak. I agree I'm chasing numbers to an extent but I'm watching Dino's suffocate my corals to the point they're not extending.

horseplay

NJRC Member
A refugium would just further strip nutrients ? I think the tank is pretty mature as Coraline is growing everywhere. I think I simply let my phosphates bottom out and caused a dino outbreak. I agree I'm chasing numbers to an extent but I'm watching Dino's suffocate my corals to the point they're not extending.
The theory is that macro algae in the refugium under the blast of light will out compete the dino. That's why dino is not in all the tanks. Feeding heavily will cause the regular algae to grow which will out-compete the dino as well.

Your tank is not mature it still has big nutrient swings. You have never established a routine. I measured nothing in my small tank and it is just fine. That is my routine and I stick to it :) I only feed and remove bad stuff after a few month it matured.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
The theory is that macro algae in the refugium under the blast of light will out compete the dino. That's why dino is not in all the tanks. Feeding heavily will cause the regular algae to grow which will out-compete the dino as well.

Your tank is not mature it still has big nutrient swings. You have never established a routine. I measured nothing in my small tank and it is just fine. That is my routine and I stick to it :) I only feed and remove bad stuff after a few month it matured.
I can get behind the less frequent water changes - however I can't get behind sitting back not testing and just feeding

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Reef Flux for dinos with great success. Just know that you will get a cyano bloom after the dose So you're gonna need to treat with chemi clean afterwards.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy!

Been a while since I've made an update here! Hope all is well with COVID & what not in this world.

I've been battling what I believe to be turf algae in my display tank. I've been siphoning quite a bit and in between water changes cycling water thru a filter sock. Saw reefdude build a canister filter with sediment filter for substrate cleaning... Thinking of building one of these. Not only will the sicce .5 help with substrate but I will add to the end of my ATO filler line and pump super fast!

My coral is booming! I will be posting some frags for sale shortly as my frag tank is cut and healing!

I am having to dose phosphate & nitrate pretty regularly which I am not a huge fan of - i have no clue how to fix this issue :( Just seems like my tank doesn't produce enough nitrate & phos for the corals daily consumption.

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_191303.jpg
    IMG_20200617_191303.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 16

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Tank looks great, I love those IM AIOs.

Turf algae is tough. I just finished a year long battle a couple months back.
Managed to beat it with Vibrant, which worked like a miracle cure in my tank in a 2 week period.
I dosed per directions, gave it a couple of weeks without water changes, and as the turf diminished I started doing a small wc 2-5g each day.
About a month in my tank was as clear as its ever been.
Might be worth a shot.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Tank looks great, I love those IM AIOs.

Turf algae is tough. I just finished a year long battle a couple months back.
Managed to beat it with Vibrant, which worked like a miracle cure in my tank in a 2 week period.
I dosed per directions, gave it a couple of weeks without water changes, and as the turf diminished I started doing a small wc 2-5g each day.
About a month in my tank was as clear as its ever been.
Might be worth a shot.

Already first dose on. You didn't do any water changes during the treatment ? I'll maybe try that and just want nutrients levels. Considering my phos and nitrate are low I think I won't have a problem. I think these algaes grow due to me doing water changes when they're not needed. I dose all trace elements required so in theory don't really need water changes that often.

The turf algae only grows on substrate which is weird

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy!

Been a while since I've made an update here! Hope all is well with COVID & what not in this world.

I've been battling what I believe to be turf algae in my display tank. I've been siphoning quite a bit and in between water changes cycling water thru a filter sock. Saw reefdude build a canister filter with sediment filter for substrate cleaning... Thinking of building one of these. Not only will the sicce .5 help with substrate but I will add to the end of my ATO filler line and pump super fast!

My coral is booming! I will be posting some frags for sale shortly as my frag tank is cut and healing!

I am having to dose phosphate & nitrate pretty regularly which I am not a huge fan of - i have no clue how to fix this issue :( Just seems like my tank doesn't produce enough nitrate & phos for the corals daily consumption.
Looking at this photo makes me so depressed with the current condition of my tank :(

I've been battling dino's since mid summer and I guess you could say I've lost...

I've lost:
- Hammer coral
- Acan
- Caulastrea is on it's way out
- Duncan is just about dead... hanging on by a thread.
- Zoanthids have receded incredible amounts.
- Coralline
- Dignity.,.

What happened was my nutrients bottomed out and I kept dosing phosphates & nitrates to bring them up while daily husbandry & dinox. The dino's grew on everything suffocating a lot of corals and killing some. Afterwards I didn't realize that my alkalinity went through the roof to about 12 dkh and my calcium went above 550 ppm... I imagine coral didn't like that much...

My phosphate is leveling off at .1 and nitrate are at ~ 50 ppm right now.. I've noticed what may be dino's again... not sure how they'd grow at this elevated nutrient level though :(

I got an ICP test to confirm my thought that all parameters are in check and nothing else existed killing corals.. I am defeated for sure. I still think something is occurring in my tank that shouldn't be. I know time is needed in this hobby, but I would have thought I'd have seen my corals come booming back after beating dinos.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy

I purchased a goby from petco since all fish were 20% off and figured I'd give another go since last one hung itself in my mesh top.. figured how could that happen again ?

He survived the night and than later this morning he was found dead in the mesh top..

Furthermore when I got home from work dino broke out on sand bed...

Last night I found I have a bad astarina starfish outbreak and could be why I lost loads of zoanthids.. I found one literally sawing a zoanthid In half..

I have more vermetid snails than I know what to do..

Tomorrow I have a date with scrubbing each rock thoroughly out of water crushing vermatid snails.

Someone pray for me

Howdy

I purchased a goby from petco since all fish were 20% off and figured I'd give another go since last one hung itself in my mesh top.. figured how could that happen again ?

He survived the night and than later this morning he was found dead in the mesh top..

Furthermore when I got home from work dino broke out on sand bed...

Last night I found I have a bad astarina starfish outbreak and could be why I lost loads of zoanthids.. I found one literally sawing a zoanthid In half..

I have more vermetid snails than I know what to do..

Tomorrow I have a date with scrubbing each rock thoroughly out of water crushing vermatid snails.

Someone pray for me
he jumping out cause someone chase him. yep they jumpers but really only when they have to

Plenty of things can startle fish besides another fish chasing them. I've had fish jump when there was nothing else in the tank. Lights coming on, someone walking by, etc... Certain species (including gobies, jawfish, and wrasses) are the most prone to doing this.

No expert on Dinos but I have knocked it back twice now. Never had it bad on sand bed, was always on my rock and corals. Tons of snot all over.

I have a small AIO and have chaeto in my first chamber, stock filter spongs in second, small bag of carbon in last chamber. Tank is approaching the 1 year mark.

First time I siphoned out daily and elevated nutrients by overfeeding. Flake, pellets and Frozen Mysis multiple times a day. I also stopped water changes for 2 months. That lasted maybe 2-3 months. Not sure what brought it back as I consitently maintained nutrients, 5-10 nitrates and .25 phosphates. Probably came back when I starting back up weekly water changes.

2nd time I had them. I elevated tank temp to 82-83. That reduced the outbreak but didn't eliminate it. I then got a UV running 24x7 for 2 months now, which killed off the rest. I also got sand and rumble from a fellow reefer, bought pods and phyto and also bought a diversity pack from IPSF, all while I was running the UV. Not sure what finally kicked it but I've been doing weekly water changes for over a month now and tank has never looked better. I personally believe the added diversity was the best thing I did. I've got critters crawling all over now.

I always had Coraline growing in my tank, it gave me a false sense of security that the tank was maturing.

In the end,, I think Dry Rock and Bottled Bacteria is the kiss of death for a new tank. If I start up a new system, I'm going back to the old method of rotting shrimp and pieces of live rock.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I added ecopods fed phyto everyday for 2 ish months.

I've noticed since my more regular water changes it's come back. My thought is I do water changes to remove larger particles. I do substrate flush thru filter sock in between to remove detritus and such.

I run uv 24/7 if I added Chaeto I feel my phosphates would disappear. I run chempipure blue which reduced phosphates from .25 to ~ .1 but I just don't get how they're back. It's snotty on substrate but rocks don't really get it odd..

Maybe I'll order bacter7 or something to add more