• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

its official. BLACK BUGS !!!!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
the past few weeks, some of my sps frags were STNing. I thought it was due to lighting. so I increased the intensity, even added some orphek LED bars. still STN on my acros. I checked phosphate 0.02. alk stable at 9.1-9.2 with a calcium reactor. I borrowed a par meter from a fellow reefer, and my par was 200-350 all around the tank. last weekend, I was looking at some frags and noticed the white area on my shortcake had some dots. I looked closer and they were moving! I took the frag out and dipped it, and sure enough..black bugs !! I researched a lot of articles, and they are in fact acro eaters. not many articles on getting rid of them. I am going to add a few more wrasses and then put some test frags later on to see if the wrasses eat them. looks like I won't be buying any sps for a while until I figure this out. there's always something that happens in this hobby that makes you want to quit, but the way I look at it is, guess I'll be buying LPS for now hehehe.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would say a 6 line wrasses and a yellow wrasse
Will keep their numbers down.
I would also add the blue damsels I usually keep one on every frag tank.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would say a 6 line wrasses and a yellow wrasse
Will keep their numbers down.
I would also add the blue damsels I usually keep one on every frag tank.
sucks that my yellow coris recently found the smallest opening in my screen top and decided he wants to lay down on tiles. my rhomboid will be out of QT next week so let's see if he has a taste for bugs.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Do they starve out eventually, or do eggs last a while?
not sure. not much info online about them. some say they like specific types of acros, so let's see if they like all my sps, or just acros.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hoooo that’s not good:(
Are you going to QT the Frags?
I wish. my wife will kick me out if I setup another tank hahahaha!! I just gotta tough it out. might as well just buy a bunch of torches and LPS hahaha

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Wow sorry to read. Did they come on the Fraghouse frags?
dont really know because i have had sps STN before so I was always thinking lighting. can't really pinpoint from where. *shrugs*

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Bring them here, you can set up a tank in my garage. I have a couple laying around. I would hate to see you loose them.
appreciate that my brother. I'll let you know. I'm going to release the rhomboid in the next few days so let's see if he has a taste

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I’m curious what was your dipping method?
I dip with ME coral dip and lugols. from what I read, black bugs are immune to dips, sometimes even Bayer. I never QT corals. never did. eggs could have been on a frag somewhere or a rock. who knows.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I may put a frag that has some jn my QT with the wrasse and test it if he eats it.

john90009

NJRC Member
He probably won’t eat it, I think a extra strong dose of interceptor to the tank will rid you of them. My friend Ricky had them and that’s what worked for him.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I just read this from a post from 2019 r2r.

Read the thread. Interceptor doesn't kill them. We are talking about black bugs here not red bugs. No dip ive found kills them except Prime Coral's Prevent STN. And I tried them all... bayer at insane dose, revive at coral killing dose/time, Melafix, Dr G's SPS Dip (Interceptor in a bottle) etc...

As someone mentioned above, i finally was able to kill off the last of them by blasting them off corals, cutting all dead tissue and base, dipping intensely and moving to QT. Took my the best part of a year to make it all work out.. 6 months now without any black bugs.. but i lost 75% of my collection before I finally got it handled. Nightmare pest.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
He probably won’t eat it, I think a extra strong dose of interceptor to the tank will rid you of them. My friend Ricky had them and that’s what worked for him.
I might try it.