• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

its official. BLACK BUGS !!!!

Salted

NJRC Member
I wish. my wife will kick me out if I setup another tank hahahaha!! I just gotta tough it out. might as well just buy a bunch of torches and LPS hahaha
Then you’ll get kicked in the nuts by bjd. We can’t really win. Good luck.

Reactions: DEL
So sorry buddy and yeah, always something in this hobby to try to make you quit. I'm dealing with some Red Turf Algae in my tank that I have no Idea how the hell I got it.
Best of luck bud.

I have used DR G's. Worked like a charm. I had red and black bugs. Stopped skimmer and carbon. I used 3 capfuls on a 150 and waited several days. Added 2 more capfuls because larger ones were still alive. 2 days later no activity. Resumed carbon and skimmer and never stopped auto water change at .5 gallon per day. 3 weeks later repeated process due to new activity. I had no notable effects on rest of tank inhabitents . I do recommend removing shrimp though. It has been 4-5 months since treatment with no sign of the little devils. They can be beaten!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have used DR G's. Worked like a charm. I had red and black bugs. Stopped skimmer and carbon. I used 3 capfuls on a 150 and waited several days. Added 2 more capfuls because larger ones were still alive. 2 days later no activity. Resumed carbon and skimmer and never stopped auto water change at .5 gallon per day. 3 weeks later repeated process due to new activity. I had no notable effects on rest of tank inhabitents . I do recommend removing shrimp though. It has been 4-5 months since treatment with no sign of the little devils. They can be beaten!
what exactly is Dr Gs? I will research it asap! did it affect any fish or snails or hermits or pods? any corals get affected? what fish and corals did you have when you dosed? thanks for the info!

Dr. Gs supposedly contains the same active ingredient (milbemycin oxime) as Interceptor. However, there was a recent thread on R2R where someone had called Dr. Gs and the company rep said that it no longer contains milbemycin (even though their website still says that it does). There are varying degrees of success reported with either Dr. Gs or Interceptor. However, it seems to be the most commonly used agent for black bugs.

It will kill inverts and all your microfauna though.

what exactly is Dr Gs? I will research it asap! did it affect any fish or snails or hermits or pods? any corals get affected? what fish and corals did you have when you dosed? thanks for the info!

15 fish. Manderin, Powder blue tang, Yellow tang, 2 clowns, Neon dotty back, Coral beauty, 2 clown, 1 Allens damsel, 2 Talbot damsel, 3 lyre tail Anthius. All fine, none showed any distress with treatment.
Larger pods, I still see molts. Smaller white ones on glass algea, OK. Snails Stomatella and Brittle stars, OK, Cheato, OK. Astrenia Stars, OK. Single hermit crab, OK.

The only loss 3 weeks after treatment was my cleaner shrimp that was about a year old.

Mixed reef showed no change except bugs gone.

1623064051611.png

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
15 fish. Manderin, Powder blue tang, Yellow tang, 2 clowns, Neon dotty back, Coral beauty, 2 clown, 1 Allens damsel, 2 Talbot damsel, 3 lyre tail Anthius. All fine, none showed any distress with treatment.
Larger pods, I still see molts. Smaller white ones on glass algea, OK. Snails Stomatella and Brittle stars, OK, Cheato, OK. Astrenia Stars, OK. Single hermit crab, OK.

The only loss 3 weeks after treatment was my cleaner shrimp that was about a year old.

Mixed reef showed no change except bugs gone.

View attachment 37847
how long ago did you treat? how are the fish today? this is looking like the best option for me, as long as it doesn't affect my fish.

Its been 4 to 5 months since treatment. Fish are doing great. Can't make any promises, but this was my experience using product.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Need to treat them with interceptor. Is it the grey ones that look like red bugs. I had them a couple of years ago and interceptor wiped them out quickly. They never caused RTN just caused a lack of PE. They also specifically like smoother skin acros. Are they on the Yellow Tip Stag?

eholceker

NJRC Member
appreciate that my brother. I'll let you know. I'm going to release the rhomboid in the next few days so let's see if he has a taste

Won't do anything on them. Your best bet is going to be leopards or a pink streak wrasse in terms of predators.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Need to treat them with interceptor. Is it the grey ones that look like red bugs. I had them a couple of years ago and interceptor wiped them out quickly. They never caused RTN just caused a lack of PE. They also specifically like smoother skin acros. Are they on the Yellow Tip Stag?
that yellow tip is a monster. nobody is touching that thing. hahahaha. most growth out of all my corals. still growing

eholceker

NJRC Member
that yellow tip is a monster. nobody is touching that thing. hahahaha. most growth out of all my corals. still growing

There is 2 types of pests people call black bugs, just as an FYI. The real black bugs are like red bugs and easy to get rid of with the interceptor. The other black bug is like some type of slug/flatworm and pretty much eat any coral they infect. Those are near impossible to get rid of. If you have them I would just chuck whatever they are one and not even give a second thought to it. I would also start a dosing regimen of KZ Flatworm stop and Coral Booster.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
looks like Dr Gs is discontinued. :(

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
ordered Dr Gs. arrives Friday. fingers crossed !!!!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Make sure you get your crabs and shrimp out. Also of you run calupera in the fuge may want to take out also. The 4x dose kind of melted it back when I had to treat.
I only have snails. still researching to determine how much to dose.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
For Black Bugs do 1Ml per gallon. Figure, for your reefer 750 dose 1.5 bottles every 7 days for 3 weeks.
guess I should've ordered more than 1 bottle hahahaha.