• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

iTzJu's 90 Gallon Mixed Reef Adventure :)

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I think you need a bigger tank. Lol

LOL.. when I bought the 90, I said I will never need a bigger tank. As time passes by though, the 90 looks smaller and smaller. haha

*(wishes I had Feng's display tank)*

falconut

NJRC Member
Any thoughts on the Powder Brown Tang? looks beautiful!

Craig, I agree with you it is doing fine on my 90. However, I plan on running my bio-pellets again and I feel like this skimmer won't be able to handle the load. The skimmer is amazing and is the best bang for your buck if anyone is looking for one with a tank that is less than 90 gallons.

I will be picking up a SRO XP1000SS at the end of the week to replace the SCA-302 and have the input of the skimmer modified with a tee fitting so my output of my bio-pellets reactor is directly connected. (I think this was also the reason why cyano broke out in my system. I didn't have the output of my reactor directly feeding the skimmer)

I was seriously looking into the Powder Brown a few years ago, but kept finding where people say the minimum length should be no less than 6', active swimmer. Plus, they weren't the easiest tang to keep. I passed.

I've been running WM Biopellets and GFO with my SCA-302 with no issues. I did have an issue with minor brownish crap on the sand bed. No sure if it was cyan or something else. I replaced one VHO actinic with an VHO Aquasun bulb I had laying around and reset them to turn on from 7 - 10, instead of just a 1/2 hour in morning and 1/2 hour at night. After this the brown crap went away and never came back. My PO4 and NO3 were testing undetectable during the whole time. I don't understand how it worked, just glad it did.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I always wanted to keep a Blue Hippo, however I've tried several times in the past but it seems like I can never get them to live. I used to buy them very small though, maybe thats the reason why? I like the Kole Tang, I might consider that. Any thoughts on the Powder Brown Tang? looks beautiful!

I've had my Pbrown tang for a whole 5 days in my 90 Tang police. He's pretty active but also loves to play in the flow of the MP10 at full blast haha. I picked it up from Dr. jim already QTed & couldn't be happier so far. I acclimated, put him in, threw in a sheet of purple sea veggies & he's been eating like a pig ever since. my clowns are scared of him even though it looks like all he wants to do is be friends and check them out. He's like that dumb dog that doesn't realize the other dog doesn't like him haha.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I was seriously looking into the Powder Brown a few years ago, but kept finding where people say the minimum length should be no less than 6', active swimmer. Plus, they weren't the easiest tang to keep. I passed.

I've been running WM Biopellets and GFO with my SCA-302 with no issues. I did have an issue with minor brownish crap on the sand bed. No sure if it was cyan or something else. I replaced one VHO actinic with an VHO Aquasun bulb I had laying around and reset them to turn on from 7 - 10, instead of just a 1/2 hour in morning and 1/2 hour at night. After this the brown crap went away and never came back. My PO4 and NO3 were testing undetectable during the whole time. I don't understand how it worked, just glad it did.

Yeah, I am reading that they are easily stressed fish. I don't know I may still pull the trigger only thing worries me would be the yellow in my tank.

oh, and really? hmmm, I've been trying to find a sweet spot for this skimmer and I just feel like I havent been successful. I feel like my skimmate isnt where it should be with this skimmer. what is the water level you have the skimmer in? do you skim wet? dry? also, how do you have the reactor output connected to your skimmer? I went out to HD/Lowes to try to find a fitting that fits the SCA-302 input but wasn't succesful.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've had my Pbrown tang for a whole 5 days in my 90 Tang police. He's pretty active but also loves to play in the flow of the MP10 at full blast haha. I picked it up from Dr. jim already QTed & couldn't be happier so far. I acclimated, put him in, threw in a sheet of purple sea veggies & he's been eating like a pig ever since. my clowns are scared of him even though it looks like all he wants to do is be friends and check them out. He's like that dumb dog that doesn't realize the other dog doesn't like him haha.

I believe I will be doing the same thing if I do decide to pick up a PBrown Tang and go to Dr. Jim. Ryan, what is your stock list in the 90?

I believe I will be doing the same thing if I do decide to pick up a PBrown Tang and go to Dr. Jim. Ryan, what is your stock list in the 90?

it's brand new. the clowns have been with me for nearly a year in my nano and just got transferred 2 weeks ago. they were just getting comfortable & found their spot when I put a "big scary" tang in there. those 3 along with a skunk shrimp, some hermits and snails from my nano, and some LPS, zoos, & chalices.

I can't recommend Dr. Jim enough. as long as you email him & don't PM or post in his threads here, he's VERY good at getting back to you.

Here's the planned additions for this tank:

5x Blue Reef Chromis
3x Dispar Anthias
Black Cap Basslet
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
Red Mandarin(WAYYYYYY LATER)

the anthias are up in the air right now. I don't know if it's too much of not. I think it is but ill have to see what kind of numbers im looking at when I start stocking up & get established.

I don't think you would have an issue between the yellow and a PB. Colors and shape are far enough off that you should be ok. When your ready add a mirror so the yellow will take his aggression out on himself, and add the PB after lights out. Also you could move some rock around to throw him off his game. The fight between my kole and yellow lasted about a day and and ended up with the yellow have red streaks all over. But he healed up and all is fine now.

Ryan, where do you plan to get the blue reef chromis. I would love to have a few in mine as well. I never see them anywhere. Only the green ones.

I don't think you would have an issue between the yellow and a PB. Colors and shape are far enough off that you should be ok. When your ready add a mirror so the yellow will take his aggression out on himself, and add the PB after lights out. Also you could move some rock around to throw him off his game. The fight between my kole and yellow lasted about a day and and ended up with the yellow have red streaks all over. But he healed up and all is fine now.

Ryan, where do you plan to get the blue reef chromis. I would love to have a few in mine as well. I never see them anywhere. Only the green ones.

I'll either see if DR. Jim can get them or ill order from LA and QT them myself.

falconut

NJRC Member
oh, and really? hmmm, I've been trying to find a sweet spot for this skimmer and I just feel like I havent been successful. I feel like my skimmate isnt where it should be with this skimmer. what is the water level you have the skimmer in? do you skim wet? dry? also, how do you have the reactor output connected to your skimmer? I went out to HD/Lowes to try to find a fitting that fits the SCA-302 input but wasn't succesful.

I've got mine in about 9" of water and I go between semi-dry and semi-wet. I set the outlet between 3.5 - 4. The outlet from my reactor is just laying in the sump near the inlet of the skimmer.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks for the reply guys, I'll have to think over the tang. If I do decide for the tang, I am definitely going to try and find a new home for my keyhole angel and maybe a chromis or two.

Ryan, the anthias are beautiful. I definitely suggest them. Also, the black cap basslet look amazing too! haha

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've got mine in about 9" of water and I go between semi-dry and semi-wet. I set the outlet between 3.5 - 4. The outlet from my reactor is just laying in the sump near the inlet of the skimmer.

I have mine in about 8 1/2" to 9" in water, similar to yours. Also, how do you know where you have your outlet set to? I have no indicator markings on my adjustment tube to even know.

Are you getting the same froth as mine in the video below or better?? This was about an hour after a clean the collection cup.

[video=youtube;HuFo7xgyrFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFo7xgyrFA[/video]

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ich!!

So when my actinics came on, I saw some white dots on my yellow tang. I am suspecting this is ICH. My tang is acting funny and looks like he is breathing hard. I fear I might lose him. :apologetic: I am just wondering how this could of happened! I quarantined all of my current stock for 3 weeks prior to introducing them into the tank. I did not use any medications though and just fed Thera+ and supplemented selcon with formula 1/2. None of them showed any signs of ICH during and upon introducing them into the tank!! I am not sure what to do that this point. I have no way in getting these fishes out of my tank to treat without destroying the rock work. I regret not quarantining better or using medication during. I'm such an idiot. So far only the tang is showing signs of ich...

any suggestions??

on another note.. I picked up the SRO XP1000SSS however, all my excitement just went down the drain... :disturbed:

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I will be monitoring the fishes to see if this is indeed ICH for the next couple of days. I will also get my quartine tank going again in case I do have to treat. I plan on purchasing an Aqua Medic Fish Trap to try and get theses fishes out for treatment. During the time I will be running my DT fishless for 3 months to kill off any ICH left in the system.

You guys have any effective way to battle ICH while in quarantine? recommended medications??

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
x2 I hypo all new fish in my QT for 4 weeks for fear of your exact situation judeo.

I guess my quarantine methods were poor at best. I always thought to just isolate and observe for 3 or so weeks, if all is well treatment is not necessary. I guess some managed to get in my tank and layed dormant till they multiplied. I believe i will do the copper treatment as my schedule during the day is to busy for me to keep things in check.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I've been observing my fish and it seems like they are doing well. No signs of ICH anymore but I will still keep a look on the fishes.

I've also picked up a couple of new things this weekend, thanks to Dan and Gus.

From Gus, I've picked up an SRO XP1000SSS to replace my SCA-302 Skimmer. I have it under a vinegar bath right now and I've also made a skimmer stand since it recommended water height is 5.5". Gus, Thank again!

2013-02-03%252000.41.30.jpg
2013-02-03%252000.48.10.jpg

From Dan, I've picked up a amazing things from him. My frag rack is filled to the brim, A very big thanks to him. Once I have everything set, I will definitely take some photos.

Update on the cyano front, it is actually dying back. I am slowly winning this war! I am also ordering Reef Snow and ZeoBak to keep it at bay. What can I say Sunny, your secret is out and I think everyone is trying it! haha

I will update once I put skimmer in and have everything in place, I swear I need a bigger tank!

Next on the list... upgrade my lighting! I am considering 2x AI Sol Blues, 2x FathomLEDs Pharos Fixtures or 2x Triple Puck RapidLED Kit. All fixtures run on CREE LEDs and are fully controllable. I've heard nothing but good things about Sols and FathomLEDs. The RapidLEDs kit is basically a DIY simplified version of Sols at half the cost but I haven't seen anyone really using them. I will also be supplementing the LEDs with 4x T5 54w Bulbs. What do you guys think? which fixture would you go with?

Last edited: