• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

iTzJu's 90 Gallon Mixed Reef Adventure :)

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear you have to take the tank down to swap out the stand. What kind/brand was the stand?

What did you finally decide for lights?

Ahh man! that a bummer. But at least you can rebuild the way you wanted to from the start. So my next question will be do you still want me to bring you the chalices and Speckled RBTA to the meting? dont know about keeping the RBTA in the frag tank. Let me know what you would like to do. I can also hold them for a bit longer for you until you get those buggers out.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sorry to hear you have to take the tank down to swap out the stand. What kind/brand was the stand?

What did you finally decide for lights?

I bought the tank off craigslist a 3 years ago and it was the standard stock stand it came with. not a pretty looking stand. I had a feeling it would not hold up long.

As far as the lights, i'll make a post of that later on. They should be arriving this week and I wanna dedicate a whole post on that.

Good luck! Some times it is nice to get a fresh start. I am in roughly the same boat I have about 3-4 years in the hobby and it is amazing how much you learn and do wrong in that amount of time. Have fun collecting the coral! That is the fun part!

yeah, it's the time now to fully apply what I've learned from the past 3 years into action. breakdown and rebuild. I am very excited for the frag tank! it'll give the working space to grow out corals while I rebuild and it will definitely make things easier when it comes to treating for anything. I can't wait to fill it up!

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ahh man! that a bummer. But at least you can rebuild the way you wanted to from the start. So my next question will be do you still want me to bring you the chalices and Speckled RBTA to the meting? dont know about keeping the RBTA in the frag tank. Let me know what you would like to do. I can also hold them for a bit longer for you until you get those buggers out.

yeah it is a bummer but like you said, it's a great opportunity to start over and that is what I am looking forward to! And you can still bring them to the meeting. I've already planned out the layout of the frag tank and I have dedicated a corner basket with a piece of rock for the RBTA. I'm actually thinking about plumbing in a 10 gallon I have laying around to the frag tank to keep him there too if he out grows the basket or splits while in the frag tank.

It's always good to do a tank swap at least for me it was because everyone I've done has been for the bigger :D as for your tank swap gl with that and look forward to more pics

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
One of the main reasons we upgraded is we did not trust the stand on the 57g oceanic. It had too much wiggle to it and made us nervous, especially when 15 pound cats jump at the glass. The new tank and stand are not budging at all so we are much happier. I think you will also enjoy the peace of mind of not having to worry about gallons of saltwater on the floor.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
One of the main reasons we upgraded is we did not trust the stand on the 57g oceanic. It had too much wiggle to it and made us nervous, especially when 15 pound cats jump at the glass. The new tank and stand are not budging at all so we are much happier. I think you will also enjoy the peace of mind of not having to worry about gallons of saltwater on the floor.

Exactly what I was thinking! this will also help me better plan out the sump area and I can build the stand to provide me more room to work with. I can go with a bigger sump and go with a more organized approach on equipment. Like I said, as much as I hate taking the tank down, I am also very excited for the improvements I can implement.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
It's always good to do a tank swap at least for me it was because everyone I've done has been for the bigger :D as for your tank swap gl with that and look forward to more pics

Jae, getting a bigger tank can definitely be a possibility. I am not rushing the rebuild at all, As long as my frag and QT tanks are up and running I am going to take my time to get everything just the way I want it. And if that means I have to upgrade to a bigger thank then that might be the route I end up going. I am starting to fall in love with cube tanks. ;) time will tell though...

Jae, getting a bigger tank can definitely be a possibility. I am not rushing the rebuild at all, As long as my frag and QT tanks are up and running I am going to take my time to get everything just the way I want it. And if that means I have to upgrade to a bigger thank then that might be the route I end up going. I am starting to fall in love with cube tanks. ;) time will tell though...
I hear you I love cube's and truth be told when I move I plan on buying a 200marineland dd and sell my 93gal cube

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I hear you I love cube's and truth be told when I move I plan on buying a 200marineland dd and sell my 93gal cube

Jae, let me know when you do. I might be interested in that cube if it goes up on sale!

Hey bro if you want my 150Gallon RR Perfecto In Excellent Condition LMK. We can work something out that's MUCH better than anything you can get out here lol.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Don't say tempting, jump on that. That's an awesome tank. If I wasn't saving for the 200DD this would definitely be the way I go.

To be honest, I would be all over it but I want to weigh all my options. It makes sense to go bigger but I am limited in space. I might actually go a different route but I want it to be a surprise if I do decide to go down that road. The 150 is very much on the table though

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As some of you know already I've decided to go a totally different route with this rebuild. I am not longer going with the 90RR and will be ordering a new tank soon :)

I will keep you guys posted as soon as I order the tank and will let you know what I went with.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The Frag tank is almost finished. mixing salt in it now, just need to make the racks, add some live rock, skimmer and we are good to go. The 90 will end it's great run this weekend.

a243d700-ca80-4e38-b861-4e3d43f7a488.jpg

What's the size of your frag tank? Are you gonna grow macro in the sump? Nice set up, wish I had that kind of space.