• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

iTzJu's SCA Rimless 75 Gallon

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Background: Most of you guys already know me, I think? lol Anyway, recently and still running a 34 gallon frag tank to hold me over till I found a reason to upgrade. Well, long story short, I found a reason to upgrade. I know most people really go for the bigger the better approach and I would agree but I have a thing for 3' tanks, always thought it was the best compromise to having a reasonable sized aquarium without dedicating too much space. The dimensions I have been going after for awhile now was 36x24x20 and even reached out to a few custom tank makers but I just couldn't justify the cost to basically get a 40 breeder that was 6in deeper. Luckily, someone decided to sell their setup and I scooped right in and snatched it as fast as I could. Now, my "forever tank" (until I move to a new house and set up a 72x36x20 peninsula tank in the far far future. lol) setup begins.

Main Tank Equipment List:
  • SCA Aquarium Rimless 75 Gallon 36x24x20
  • FijiCube Fiji-15 Gen 2 Sump
  • AquaticLife 36" T5 Hybrid System
  • 3 x Ecotech XR15w Pro Gen 3
  • 2 x Ecotech Vortech MP40
  • Jebao DCP4000 Return Pump
  • 2 x 150w Eheim Jager Heaters
  • Reef Octopus 110sss
  • Reef Octopus CR100 Calcium Reactor
  • Aquarium-plants Regulator with 20lb CO2 Tank
  • Cole Parmer MASTERFLEX 7520-40 Continuous Peristaltic Pump
  • Apex Classic System
Luckily, the above list is all the equipment on hand, reef equipment hoarding is a real issue. lol Once I have everything setup, might change out a few things but the above list is pretty much what will sum up the equipment planned. I want to replicate the BRS/WWC method for this one and see how it turns out. Approaching this with a KISS mentality.

Planned Livestock List:

Fish/Inverts:
  • Blue Hippo Tang
  • Yellow Tang
  • Purple Tang
  • Foxface
  • Copperband Butterly
  • Pair of Clowns (Designer Variant)
  • Algae Blenny
  • 2 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Various Snails for CUC
Corals:
  • SPS Dominant
I will be sticking to a hard QT regimen for the fish that will be going in here, this is a working list and no, I do not plan on sticking all those tangs in the tank. I will probably narrow it down to 2.

As far as the corals go, this tank will be a bare bottom SPS dominated reef tank with a sprinkle of other things but this will definitely be a stick tank.

While all this is being setup, i'll definitely try and update this as much as I could and the 34 gallon will definitely still be running to house and keep my sticks happy till they find themselves in the new tank.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sounds like a great plan. What is the BRS/WWD method?

pretty much a method on starting up a reef tank ~ more or less just applying principals that are proven to work and keeps it simple. Any advance reefer would probably look at it and just say "duh" but I think its a solid guideline.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
having issue trying to get the stand into the basement - gotta love small passage ways. lol i'm contemplating either getting the APS stand or tearing down a piece of the wall. decisions, decisions. :cower:

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
SLOW BUILD ALERT! lol

ehh, taking longer than expected but its still happening. I have mostly everything in now equipment wise and got the stand in the basement, so I can focus on moving forward with everything now. I picked up some paint to touch up the stand. Picked up abs sheet and black silicone to line the bottom of the tank. Got in 80lbs of Caribsea Shelf Base Rock. I also picked up a new Seapora Calcium Reactor and WaveReef Algae Reactor during the president's day sale. The WaveReef reactor is HUGE! bigger than I expected but since I am utilizing a smaller sump, this is a benefit. Seapora Calcium reactor is legit the most affordable calcium reactor new IMO, build quality is awesome and its made be JNS, same manufacturer of Aquamaxx stuff. I'm also am getting a custom made carbon dosing unit, pretty much a clone of the carbon doser but much much less with better internals, gonna be using that with a new 2 stage regulator I picked up.

No major changes to the equipment other than the new additions and new calcium reactor and regulator.

Going to try to get this thing wet by the end of this month!

34 Gallon is doing well so, I'm thankful I can take my time on this build.

Will update soon! hopefully with pictures! lmao.

SLOW BUILD ALERT! lol

ehh, taking longer than expected but its still happening. I have mostly everything in now equipment wise and got the stand in the basement, so I can focus on moving forward with everything now. I picked up some paint to touch up the stand. Picked up abs sheet and black silicone to line the bottom of the tank. Got in 80lbs of Caribsea Shelf Base Rock. I also picked up a new Seapora Calcium Reactor and WaveReef Algae Reactor during the president's day sale. The WaveReef reactor is HUGE! bigger than I expected but since I am utilizing a smaller sump, this is a benefit. Seapora Calcium reactor is legit the most affordable calcium reactor new IMO, build quality is awesome and its made be JNS, same manufacturer of Aquamaxx stuff. I'm also am getting a custom made carbon dosing unit, pretty much a clone of the carbon doser but much much less with better internals, gonna be using that with a new 2 stage regulator I picked up.

No major changes to the equipment other than the new additions and new calcium reactor and regulator.

Going to try to get this thing wet by the end of this month!

34 Gallon is doing well so, I'm thankful I can take my time on this build.

Will update soon! hopefully with pictures! lmao.

Nice, I was about to build a CO2 regulator with a 2 stage regulator before I got my Carbondoser too.
I think 2 stage regulator are safer compare to the Carbondoser but anyway ended up getting the Carbondoser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nice, I was about to build a CO2 regulator with a 2 stage regulator before I got my Carbondoser too.
I think 2 stage regulator are safer compare to the Carbondoser but anyway ended up getting the Carbondoser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wasn't planning on a 2 stage and with the carbon doser clone, it might be a moot point but i got a fantastic deal on the regulator body, $55 brand new.

Going to be a nice setup. Looking forward to it if you need help moving stuff around let me know and I'll bring the avast pump and pick up the sump.

+1 on Seapora Calcium reactor its pretty nice. I just picked up a Matheson dual stage regulator.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Going to be a nice setup. Looking forward to it if you need help moving stuff around let me know and I'll bring the avast pump and pick up the sump.

+1 on Seapora Calcium reactor its pretty nice. I just picked up a Matheson dual stage regulator.

Let me know! i'll be in 07751 this weekend, if you want to meet up around there, i'll put the sump in my car.