• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium Update.

Marco Rocks Cherry Picked Delivery

Since I decided to sell my initial Marco Rocks I called Marc once again and asked him to Cherry Pick a particular setup of rocks for me. After some back and fourth E-mail and telephone calls Marc and I agreed on some very beautiful pieces of Fiji, Tonga and Marshall Island and my shipment was sent off. My shipment arrived about 1 week ago and has been placed in a Rubbermaid Tub with a 1,200 gph Powerhead, Heater and Saltwater and has been curing since. I'm hoping that within the next few weeks this rock will be ready for aquascaping.

IMG_0212.jpg

Photograph - Marco Rock Cherry Picked Order Curing in a Rubbermaid Tube.

Livestock Addition: Sea Hare "Aplysia Dactylomela"

Care Level: Expert Only
Temprament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4, dKH 8-12
Max. Size: 1'
Color Form: Green, Brown
Diet: Herbivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Aplysidae

This animal was purchased to control my Hair Algae issue since I don't currently have a sufficient clean up crew (two Trochus Snails). I am not adding additional Snails or Hermit Crabs because I do not want to make aquascaping the Marco Rocks more difficult in having to sift them out of the sand. This also prevents me trapping or crushing these animals underneath the foundation of the structure that I will be creating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ElkrvHGOg
Video - Sea Hair Grazing on Hair Algae in my Aquarium.

Jasonanatal said:
Livestock Addition: Sea Hare "Aplysia Dactylomela"

Care Level: Expert Only
Temprament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4, dKH 8-12
Max. Size: 1'
Color Form: Green, Brown
Diet: Herbivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Aplysidae

This animal was purchased to control my Hair Algae issue since I don't currently have a sufficient clean up crew (two Trochus Snails). I am not adding additional Snails or Hermit Crabs because I do not want to make aquascaping the Marco Rocks more difficult in having to sift them out of the sand. This also prevents me trapping or crushing these animals underneath the foundation of the structure that I will be creating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ElkrvHGOg
Video - Sea Hair Grazing on Hair Algae in my Aquarium.

Watch out for the sea hair's. A lot of them come from sub-tropical places (probably 99% of them in the hobby) and die within a few months because of the tropical temperatures in the tank.

If it dies, they usually aren't tank wipeout-ers, but there is always the chance.

Hardware Addition: EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W 2nd Generation

The standard JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube comes with two stock 295 gph pumps which can be used simultaneously or in a on/off wavemaker mode using the JBJ Ocean Pulse Duo Wavemaker. This is great for the beginning hobbyist but in my personal strive to create and SPS dominated Reef Aquarium I realized that I needed something better. The answer... Ecotech Marine's Vortech MP40W 2nd Generation Pump. This pump is truly an amazing piece of hardware with numerous benefits, some of which I listed below.

-Low velocity variable flow which actually creates an undertow on the sand bed of the Aquarium.
-Controllable speed from 200 gph to 3000 gph which allows custom settings of flow to accomodate any Aquarium.
-Wireless capabilities which allow synchronization or Master/Slave control of other Vortech MP40W Pumps.
-No transmission of Heat/Electrical Current into the water column.
-Minimal electrical consumption for operation of the pump.
-Optional Battery Backup to ensure the well being of your Aquarium inhabitants in a power outage.

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

Photograph - EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W 2nd Generation Pump.

Aquascaping: Marco Rocks Cherry Picked Fiji & Tonga Mix

Well as always I choose Marco Rocks to be the supplier for my aquascaping needs. After some conversation and swapping photographs of various pieces I confirmed my delivery and within two days beautiful Marco Rocks at my door! The rocks were placed into a Rubbermaid Tub and allowed to cure over the next 6 weeks. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels were monitored on weekly basis and confirmed that the Marco Rocks were fully cured. I then carefully began my artwork within the Aquarium. I wanted to create a tiered level aquascape which would allow area between the tiers to have the fish swim through and hide during the day. This design will also allow me to place Colonies/Frags of Coral within the Aquarium to provide adequate light to each specimen. Each piece of work was carefully manipulated within the Aquarium to create a locking wedge so that no puddy was used to bind the rockwork together and allow stability to not be compromised.

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Photograph - Marco Rocks Cherry Picked Fiji & Tonga.

Reply to Chase33.

chase33 said:
Wow! This is an awesome post. Great job and thanks. Please keep us updated.

Chase33, thank you for the compliments. Their is definitely more to come if I don't fall asleep tonight.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium Update

Filtration Equipment Addition: Deltec FR509 Fluidized Media Reactor

After careful consideration of what design and manufacturer I wanted for Fluidized Media Reactors I have chosen Deltec. The Deltec FR509 Fluidized Media Reactor was designed to house Rowaphos but can be used for any media including Carbon, Sand, etc. To accomodate this reactor I constucted a reinforced shelf near my Aquarium that can hold weights in excess of 80 lbs. The reactor is currently plumbed to the Aquarium using standard vinyl tubing connected to a Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerheard. However, the feed pressure is not poweful enough to agitate the Fauna Marine Ultra Carb L (Long Lasting Activated Carbon) within the chamber. As a result I will be removing the Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead rated at 295 gph and replacing it with an Eheim 1260 Hobby Pump rated at 635gph. This should supply more then enough pressure to agitate the media and will be placed externally to minimize heat and eletrical voltage transfer to the Aquarium wateer.

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

Photograph - Deltec FR509 Fludiized Media Reactor filled with Fauna Marine Ultra Carb L.

Inhabitants: Sumatra Powder Blue Tang

Maximum Length: 9.1 in.
Care Level: Expert Only!
Family: Acanthuridae
Reef Compatibility: Good
Minimum Aquarium Size: 200 gal.
Range: Indian Ocean
Diet: Herbivore- herbivore preparations, macro algae
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

Well many people are going to saythat Powder Blue Tangs should not be housed in a 28 gallon Aquarium. I personally agree, under normal circumstances. I have owned Tangs before in larger Aquariums and I had noticed that every morning my Tang would actually be swimming against the current generated by an EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40 Pump. I came to the conclusion that this would simulate more long distance swimming rather then swimming edge to edge in a 200 gallon Aquarium. So I decided to experiment with my Aquarium. Only 28 gallon's in size but when swimming against a continuous flow of water from a EcoTech Marine Pump size of the Aquarium is not matter! Now this is in no way me advocating the purchase of a Vortech Pump and placing a Tang in a 10 gallon Aquarium. Their are many other aspects that require careful attention to detail such as Water Quality, Food, etc. thay must be taken under consideration! If their were any signs of stress or any other life threatening signs I would immediately transport the Tang to someone who could either give it a proper home or back to the Pet Store Credit or No Credit. I have included a video below to show my Powder Blue Tang swimming against my Vortech, although he gets thrown off a bit due to the Reef-Crest Mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7W33ihjCb8
Video - Sumatra Powder Blue Tang swimming against an EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W 2nd Generation Pump.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Reef Aquarium Update.

Filtration: Plumbing My RO/DI Filtration Unit

I have alot of company in my home at any given time and one of the biggest complaints other then everyone saying that I play with my Aquarium too much is that I leave the tubes from my RO/DI Filtration Unit that stretches from the Bathroom through the Foyer and into the living room near the Aquarium on the floor and into my bucket. This not only present a tripping hazard but should someone accidently nock my tubring out then I have a flood. So I decided to make the best of it. I relocated my entire RO/DI to the wall next to my Aquarium and ran both incoming and outgoing water tubes on above the floor board. The tubing is secured using standard 1/4 Inch Cable Guide and I cut the corners with 90 degree elbows. No more tripping and spills here.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Photograph - RO/DI Filtration Unit Plumbing from Living to Bathroom.

looks good...and the kid is growing up fast!

I'm not so sure on the power blue in the tank - but your argument is reasonable. It would be preferable to have a big tank and a vortech. Speaking of which - I know previously you were thinking of upgrading to a larger tank before the landlord prevented it.

Will you be thinking of moving (in order to fulfill that desire for a large tank) or do you think you'll be staying put for now?

Reply to Phil519.

phil519 said:
looks good...and the kid is growing up fast!

I'm not so sure on the power blue in the tank - but your argument is reasonable. It would be preferable to have a big tank and a vortech. Speaking of which - I know previously you were thinking of upgrading to a larger tank before the landlord prevented it.

Will you be thinking of moving (in order to fulfill that desire for a large tank) or do you think you'll be staying put for now?

Phil519, thank you for the compliments. The Powder Blue Tang is doing pretty well but I can agree with everyone that I would like to get hime a bigger home. But currently this is all I can spare for him at the current moment. I have some financial items that need clearing up and then I will venture in purchasing a home where skies the limit. So unfortunately my shoebox is also his... for now.

Aqua Ultraviolet 25 watt Sterilizer Breaks

My Aqua Ultraviolet 25 watt Sterilizer has been in operation on various Aquariums that I have maintained for over a year now and during my weekly checks I discovered that the bulb had finally burned out. So I decided to remove the bulb from the unit and I accidently dropped the bulb back into the Quartz Sleeve of the unit. This drop was no more then 1 to 2 inches in height and it was enough to crack the Quartz Sleeve and render my Aqua Ultraviolet 25 watt Sterilizer useless until replacement parts are delivered from Aqua Ultraviolet. Lesson learned: in the future remove the Ultraviolet Bulb completely from the unit before attempting to disconnect from the 4-Pin Connector.

Aqua Ultraviolet actually has provided me with some of the best Customer Service I have had in a long time. Their website states that if you send an E-mail you will get a response back within the next 24 hours. I sent my E-mail on Sunday at around 8:00pm and got my answer on Monday at around 3:00pm. They discounted the replacement parts that are required to get my unit up and running again! The Aqua Ultraviolet 25 watt Sterilizer should be back in operation in a week or two.

Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter Purchase

It's payday once again and I have decided to pull the trigger on an awesome piece of equipment from Deltec. The Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter is a device that was developed between Deltec and David Saxby that would create an efficiant method of filtering Nitrate from your aquarium water other then the measn of water changes. I just purchased mine from D&D The Aquarium Solution located in Pennsylvania and I'm hoping to have it delivered this weekend. That means I'm off to the liquor store now.

hey what kind of clam is that - i noticed it's blue and in the substrate - is that a maxima/crocea that you put some LR under? or a funky squa/deresa that has a blue mantel?

Reply to Phil519.

phil519 said:
hey what kind of clam is that - i noticed it's blue and in the substrate - is that a maxima/crocea that you put some LR under? or a funky squa/deresa that has a blue mantel?

Phil519, the Clam in my aquarium is a Ultra Grade Maxima Clam.

Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter: Setup & Seeding

After a long day of server issues at work it great to be able to come home to my brand new toy, the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter. This was ordered from D&D The Aquarium Solution USA in Pennsylvania and delivered via FedEx the next business day. Much better then waiting 3 to 5 business days from Marine Depot on the West Coast. The function behind this device is to allow an area where Nitrate "NO4" can be converted to Nitrogren Gas "N2". Normally the average Aquarium Hobbyist will remove Nitrate "N2" from their aquarium through large scheduled water changes or maintaining aquatic planting. The Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter provides a large surface area where millions of bacteria can colonize and through a reductive process whereby oxygen from the nitrate molecules are utilized by anaerobic bacteria along with a carbon based food "Alchohol" can convert Nitrate "N04" into Nitrogen Gas "N2".

The Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter can be run in three different modes: Manual, Semi-Automatic and Fully Automatic. But since I currently own only the equipment for the Manual Mode for the time being. Since this is a natural bioligical process their is a period of seeding that must occur the Anaerobic Bacteria Colony must be grown. Water is taken from the aquarium and placed within the filter with just the recirculation pump turned on. Their is no additional water flow to or from the aquarium for this seeding period for the next 3 days. Also the Carbon based food (A mixture of 3 parts RO/DI Water and 1 part Vodka) must be provided 4mL twice a day through an injector port and syringe that is provided with the unit. Deltec does manufactur their own food but because their is alchohol contained within it it is not currently imported into the United States due to the extreme amount of paperwork and licensing that is required to import it legally. Unfortunately As the seeding process progresses I will keep everyone updated.

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Photograph - Deltec PF509 Nitrate Filter.

Equipment: Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter: Setup & Seeding for Manual Mode

The Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter seeding process has a learning curve that starts out the same for everyone but is definitely a learning process once the beginning stage has been completed. The water placed in the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter has come directly from the aquarium to speed up the initial seeding process. The Tom's Aqualifter Pump that I have pulling water from the aquarium into the Delte NFP509 Nitrate Filter has been turned off after the initial flow testing was completed. The reason for this is that Anaerobic Bacteria that are responsible for converting the Nitrate into Nitrogen Gas exist in area of low oxygen. Preventing any saltwater from entering the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter causes the level of oxygen in the water to drop to levels allowing the Anaerobic Bacteria to colonize inside. It is also required that you feed the Anaerobic Bacteria a carbon based food. Deltec sells a Nitrate Fluid that is used for this purpose however it is not imported into the United States due to it having Alchohol. So in order to get around this minor problem I am creating my own Nitrate Food using a mixture of Vokda 1 ml and RO/DI Water 3ml which is feed in the morning (7:00am) and evening (7:00pm). This is how the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter remained for 3 days.

Yesterday evening was day 4 of the seeding process. This is when the Tom's Aqualifter Pump was turned on and allowed water from the aquarium to enter the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter and flow back into the aquarium at a very slow drip rate. Currently I have the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter to cycle through water at the rate of 1 drop of saltwater every 3 seconds. The saltwater coming from the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter was tested for the level of Nitrate leaving coming from it. Currently of have a Nitrate level of 10 PPM coming from the reactor which shows the Anaerobic Bacteria present within the have not reached a level able to fully remove the Nitrate from the water. I will test in 3 days to determine the Nitrate level coming from the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter.

The Deltec NFP509 flow rate and Nitrate Food is completely dependant on each aquarium setup. This is where the guesswork comes in. Also please remember that I am operating the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter in Manual Mode for the time being.

Equipment: Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter: Setup & Seeding for Manual Mode

Today is Day 4 Part 2 of the seeding process for the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter. Currently I have a Nitrate level of 5 PPM coming from the reactor which shows the Anaerobic Bacteria present within the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter are growing at what I can consider a substantial rate but still have not reached a level able to fully remove the Nitrate from the water. I will test in 1 day to determine the Nitrate level coming from the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter. The Nitrate levels coming from the outflow of saltwater of the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter must reach 0 PPM before I can move on to the next step in the seeding process, which is to increase the overall turnover rate of the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter from 1 drop of water every 3 seconds to 1 drop of water every two seconds. Here is where the learning curve and fine tuning of the device start to come into play. As the water level is increased, which must be done in very slow increments the food source must also increase, let the trial and error begin!

This is honestly an amazing device. Considering that the seeding period is almost creating the process of maturing an aquarium on a much smaller level. But having a device that can drop Nitrate levels from 10 PPM to 5 PPM in a 24 hour period with no water changes is just astonishing. So far the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter is proving that it is worth every penny!

Jasonanatal's 28 gallon JBJ Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium Update.

Livestock: Disaster Strikes and I'm Not Sure Why!

Well I just came back from a walk with the family and went to start my weekly water change only to find out that all of my fish are dead! I have lost my Starry Blenny, Dragonface Pipefish and Dwarf Flame Angel all to to what is currently unknown to me at this time. The thing that is a little puzzling to me is that my Tiger Tail Cucumber, Sea Hare, 10x Zebra Hermet Crabs, 2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs, 1 Halloween Hermit Crab and 2 Trochus Snails are all alive. My two colonies of SPS Coral are showing signs of stress and I'm not perfectly sure as to what is causing the problem. So I'm in the middle of the water change and will let everyone know what I find.