• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium.

From the sounds of it, it seems like velvet to me. Silent, quick killer. Everything dead before you knew it. Definitely seems like velvet.

I'm sure the SPS corals are stressing a bit because of ammonia build-up, though, and not from what caused the fish deaths.

Reply to Jonathan.

jonathan. said:
From the sounds of it, it seems like velvet to me. Silent, quick killer. Everything dead before you knew it. Definitely seems like velvet.

I'm sure the SPS corals are stressing a bit because of ammonia build-up, though, and not from what caused the fish deaths.

Jonathan, well unfortunately I check my Ammonia level yesterday which were at an undetectable level with my Elos Ammonia Test Kit. So I'm not sure what to think. But I'll look into the diseae in more detail since I have personally never come across it before and let everyone know what I find.

wild guess here - but if the cuke were annoyed "while you were out" and decided to eviscerate...it's possible all fish would be killed rather instantly - especially in a smaller volume tank like yours.

Article on Cukes

I hope that is not the case - but the only thing I can think of is perhaps the cuke eviscerated and your fish were foolish enough to eat the stuff.

Reply to Phil519.

phil519 said:
wild guess here - but if the cuke were annoyed "while you were out" and decided to eviscerate...it's possible all fish would be killed rather instantly - especially in a smaller volume tank like yours.

Article on Cukes

I hope that is not the case - but the only thing I can think of is perhaps the cuke eviscerated and your fish were foolish enough to eat the stuff.

Phil519, I'm leaning more to the Marine Velvet, the symptons that were detailed in a few articles I located online where exactly what were being displayed by my livestock.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium Update.

Livestock: Possible Cause to Livestock Wipeout Marine Velvet

Well after testing water paramters which have been lsited below. I have come to the conclusion of a possible disease that would be responsible for claiming the lives of my livestock. Base on reading multiple documents on the Marine Velvet Disease and comparing their symptoms detailed within the document listed below, with the symptons being displayed by my livestock I would definitely lean toward this being the casue.

Water Parameter Testing
Salinity: 1.026 SG "Tested with Refractometer"
Ammonia: 0.0 PPM "Tested with Elos Test Kit"
Nitrite: 0.0 PPM "Tested with Elos Test Kit"
Nitrate: 0.0 PPM "Tested with Elos Test Kit"
pH: 8.3 "Tested with Elos Test Kit"
Magnesium: 1350 PPM "Tested with Salifert Test Kit"
Calcium: 460 PPM "Tested with LaMotte Test Kit"
Alkalinity: 12.7 dKH Test with LaMotte Test Kit"

Symptoms
The symptoms of marine velvet usually involve the skin and lungs. Mild infections will usually only infect the gills and the fish may show minimal symptoms. As the infestation becomes more severe, the gills will become inflamed, bleed, and the lung tissue will begin to die. The fish will show signs of irritation and distress, with rapid breathing and lethargy. As the inflammation increases, the fish will lose its ability to transport oxygen across the gill membranes resulting in a fish that shows symptoms of suffocation, and if treatment is not initiated, death will often result. The skin is the site of attachment for the organism and in severe infections, small gold-colored spots will cover the skin, which can progress to create a "velvet" appearance which gives the disease its name. By the time the gold-colored velvet appears, however, the gills may be so infected that treatment is usually too late. Many fish die from this disease without ever showing any visible skin changes. It may be possible to visualize early forms of the infection on the skin by using indirect illumination. This works best on dark fish and can be done by shining a flashlight on the dorsal surface of a fish in a darkened room. Viewing infected fish against a dark background may also be helpful.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium. Update

Livestock: Electric Blue Hermit Crab Molting
Well this is definitely a sign of good things happening within my aquarium. This is the second evidence of molting that I have found in last couple of weeks.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Photograph - The Electric Blue Hermit Crab Molting.

If it was velvet, which it sounds about 90% likely to me, you're going to want to let your tank go fallow for at least a month (frankly, I'd go 2 months...) to make sure that nothing of it is left in the tank.

Life Cycle of Amyloodinium:

This parasite is most often "brought in" to a new system from newly acquired infected fish/es, but may be acquired and passed on invertebrates, live rock, algae... most anything wet. Hence the need for diligence in selection, acclimation and quarantine. It's life cycle is almost identical to the more-familiar Cryptocaryon (Saltwater Ich) protozoan.

Almost always, the gills of fishes are affected... way ahead of apparent marks on the body or fins. Rapid gilling, apparent inflammation and irritation of the gills, followed by labored breathing, sedentary behavior, may occur so rapidly (hours to a day or two) that no other macroscopic evidence of its presence may show. Light, resident infestations in captivity (unlike Crypt) are rare... With most captive cases resulting in rapid reproduction, re-infestation, gill necrosis, hemorrhage and death.

Free-swimming infective dinospores, have an apical flagellum and one at the waistline in a groove, red eye spot, measure 9-15 microns. According to Bower (1987) dinospores can usually live for 7-8 days without finding a host and are infective for 6, remaining alive and infective even longer at lower temperatures. She recounts that though most emerge from encystation within 5 days and survive another 7 to 9 days, some dinospores were present in their test tanks (at 75-80 F.) some 37 days later.

Non-motile feeding stages (trophozoites) that parasitize the host fish (become attached to gill epithelium or skin, lose flagella, develop a funnel-shaped aperture at one end through which projects rhizoids to obtain nutrition. As Trophozoites grow, internal structure becomes obscured by globular starch granules. Trophozoites range in size from 15 to 150 microns, have a round to oval macronucleus. Their cell wall membrane is sharp and clearly visible, contains chitin.

When they mature (3 days to a week) they drop off and fall to the substrate where they encyst. Cysts are formed by the cells retracting rhizoids and sealing the opening with a cellulose cap. Here what are now known as tomonts undergo vegetative (non-sexual) division. Internally dividing cells called...

Palmella stage. Asexual division results in 2,4,8,16... 256 individuals formed. There is no division below 50 degrees F., slow rate 68-77 F. Optimal above 77 F. (25 C.) Hosts rapidly show signs of infection 6-7th day at 77 F. Note: there is no dormant or resting stage. One strain lasted w/o fish for 4 weeks, but not eight at 78 F. Invertebrates can carry this disease.

- WWM

I would definitely go a while without fish, though.

Reply to Reeftank2510.

reeftank2510 said:
Good to see things are starting to come around. Very nice setup..

Reeftank2510, thank you for the compliments. I doing some tinkering and getting back into the flow of things.

Equipment: Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter "Adjusting"

I initially added the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter to the arsenal of devices on my aquarium for two main reasons. I wanted to be able to provide the highest quality water conditions by biologically converting Nitrate to Nitrogen (This would address the Nitrate levels of water that was not removed from the aquarium during scheduled water changes) by the use of Nitrifying Bacteria as well as receiving natural trace elements provided by the use of the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter. Deltec advises that the recommendation size aquarium for this product should be within the range of 50 gallons to 250 gallons. Now I know what most of you may be thinking... great larger then necessary which means more efficient or overkill but still great to have. Well, I personally went with the notion of "Go Big or Go Home" resulting in me overlooking something that unfortunately has come with a heavy price.

The Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter provides an area that is somewhat isolated from the rest of the aquarium were salwater rich in oxygen and other chemicals (Nitrate and Oxygen being our primary focus) enter the chamber of the reactor, being regulated manually by a flow valve in my setup. The Colony of Nitrifying Bacteria within the reactor chamber which are responsible for converting the Nitrate in Nitrogen are provided conditions which stimulate their growth and reproduction (Low Oxygen Levels and a Carbon Based Food Source "RO/DI & Vodka Mixture" which is injected twice a day). Efluent from the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter is then returned to the aquarium at a rate currently of 1 drop per every 2 seconds. This does not seem like much but when converted to a more understandable format this device can process nearly 2 gallons of saltwater each week.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

Photograph - Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter Flow Valve & Reactor Chamber.

However, it is my hypothesis that since my Nitrifying Bacteria Colony within the Reactor Chamber is young their utilizationg of the the Carbon Based Food "RO/DI & Vodka" is not as efficient as a fully matured Nitrifying Bacter Colony resulting in Carbon Based Food "RO/DI & Vodka" being returned back to the aquarium prematurely. Thus resulting in various adverse effects such as my aquarium inhabitants dieing and my Coral Colonies displaying signs of Rapid Tissue Necrosis and Recessed Polyps. So I have drastically reduced the dosage amount of the Carbon Based Food from 8 milliliters per day to 1 milliliter which equates to a mixture ratio of 0.375 milliliters of RO/DI water and 0.125 milliliters of Vokda.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Photograph - SPS Corals within my aquarium displaying signs of Rapid Tissue Necrosis.

Sorry to hear about you losing your fish. I can relate, sometimes things are going great and then bam, your almost at the beginning again. I agree with Jonathan, you should leave your tank fallow at least 8 weeks. I would do 12 weeks just to be sure it's all gone.

good luck
Harry

Equipment: Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter "Isolated Seeding"

In light of the numerous issues that have come about from utilizing the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter I have decided that another route of maturing the Nitrifying Bacteria must be taken in order to ensure continued operation of the device in the future within my setup while keeping the best interest of my livestock and corals in mind. I have come up with a little method that I called "Isolated Seeding" to accomplish the overall goal.

In this method the device is connected to an isolated aquarium, such as a quarantine aquarium that you would normally place newly purchased livestock or corals. Then you can begin the normal seeding process as described in the owners manual. This should allow the Nitrifying Bacteria to fully mature so that the Carbon Food source (RO/DI & Vodka mixture) that is dosed is fully utilized which will result in no leaching back into the display aquarium. After the maturing period which can be followed through normal testing of Nitrate from the effluent the device can then be transferred back to the intended aquarium hopefully without any negative results.

IMG_0439.jpg

Photograph - Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter setup for Isolated Seeding.

Livestock: Amphipods "Gone Wild"

It has been quite a while since I actually stood in front of my aquarium for some night viewing. During my exploration I was astonished to see hundres of little creatures zipping in and our of the live rocks. At first thought I worried about the life of my Starry Blenny and immediately started to conduct a Google search in order to find out what these little creatures were and if they posed a threat to any of my inhabitants. After some reading I found that these were Amphipods and that their existance is usually a sign of a very healthy aquarium. I decided that I wanted to get these little guys on video so I used my Hard Drive based Sony Handycam with Nightshot to get the footage. I hope everyone enjoys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-jUpu9j8w
Video - Amphipods living in the live rock at night.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Reef Aquarium Update.

Corals: Oregon Blue Tortusa (Acropora Tortusa) "SPS Coral Addition"

Care Level: Easy in SPS tank!
Lighting Requirements: High- Metal Halides
Water Flow: Moderate
Aggressiveness: Peaceful
Range: Indo-Pacific
Family: Acroporidae
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

I am so happy to have found a local Reef Keeper who had a frag of this Coral available (MattT5 of Reef Central). The Oregon Blue Tortusa (Acropora Tortusa) is a beautiful specimen and has already shown full polyp extension within a few minutes of being introduced into my aquarium. I can't wait to see this grow into a colony.

IMG_0493.jpg

Photograph - Oregon Blue Tortusa (Acropora Tortusa) purchased from MattT5 of Reef Central.

Corals: Tri Color Acropora (Acropora Tortusa) "SPS Coral Addition"

Scientific Name: Acropora Valida
Care Level: Intermediate
Disposition: Semi-Aggressive
Placement: Middle to Top
Lighting: High "Metal Halides"
Waterflow: Strong

This is another beautiful specimen received from MattT5 of Reef Central.

IMG_0491.jpg

Photograph - Tri Color Acropora from MattT5 of Reef Central.

Equipment: Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Protein Skimmer "Performance"

It is time for my monthly cleaning of the my Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Protein Skimmer, so I thought I would take this opportunity to give everyone some insight on its overall performance. Especially since most people are very interested in moving away from the stock protein skimmers that are usually provided with their nano aquariums. The photographs below span from Monday, September 08, 2008 through Saturday, September 13, 2008. In just less then a full weeks time, the Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Protein Skimmer managed to produce 125 ml of skimmate which is roughly 1/5 of the entire collection cups capacity.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Photograph - Monday, September 08, 2008 through Saturday, September 09, 2008 - Photographic timeline of the Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Protein Skimmer's performance.

Livestock: Picasso Percula Clownfish "Amphiprion Percula"

Size: 1 - 2 Inches
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Docile
Origin: Aquacultered
Minimum Aquarium Size: 10 gallons
Reef Compatible: Yes

I managed to get my hands on one of Oceans, Reefs and Aquariums "ORA's" most sought after aquacultured specimens, the Picasso Percula Clownfish. This little guy was purchased from House of Fins in Stamford, CT. According to the store sales people he was a Grade: B Picasso and because of that many people had passed on purchasing him, but not me. This little guy deserved a home in my aquarium and was purchased for a super sale of $80.00 (normally priced at $120.00). Hopefully in the near future I can locate a second Picasso Percula Clownfish to introduce.

IMG_0601.jpg

Photograph - September 18, 2008 - My new Picasso Percula Clownfish purchased from House of Fins in Stamford, CT.

Re: Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium Update.

Jasonanatal said:

I managed to get my hands on one of Oceans, Reefs and Aquariums "ORA's" most sought after aquacultured specimens, the Picasso Percula Clownfish. This little guy was purchased from House of Fins in Stamford, CT. According to the store sales people he was a Grade: B Picasso and because of that many people had passed on purchasing him, but not me. This little guy deserved a home in my aquarium and was purchased for a super sale of $80.00 (normally priced at $120.00). Hopefully in the near future I can locate a second Picasso Percula Clownfish to introduce.

IMG_0601.jpg

Photograph - September 18, 2008 - My new Picasso Percula Clownfish purchased from House of Fins in Stamford, CT.

Aquatic Obsessions has 2 of them right now. I think they are only charging $50 for them and they are a club sponsor.

Reply to Jonathan.

jonathan. said:
Jasonanatal said:

IMG_0601.jpg

Aquatic Obsessions has 2 of them right now. I think they are only charging $50 for them and they are a club sponsor.

Jonathan, do you know if their willing the ships them since I don't have a means of getting out to New Jersey at the moment.

Chemistry: Two Part Calcium Additive Issue "When It Rains... It Pours!"

I wanted to apologize for my dissapearance for that last few weeks. My new job has been extremely demanding and I have had a few issues that I am in the process of dealing with when it comes to my reef aquarium. So here are the laundry list of problems.

During my weekly water changes I would conduct my normal testing using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Liquid Test Kits and it would show a rather large level of Calcium depletion. So I would calculate the amount of Kent Tech CB Two Part Calcium Additive that would be required to make up for the loss of Calcium and then add the necessary amount. Soon after I would see the results of my dosing as a calcareous substance form on the glass which would take me hours to remove.

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Photograph - Friday, October 26, 2008 - Calcareous substance formed on aquarium glass.

Amphibious as well as others explained that it could be from a bad batch of additive or too much additive being dosed in a short period of time. He generously sent me a complimentary set of Ocean's Blend Two Part and Magnesium to resolve my problem which I have been dosing by the instructions for 1 week and so far no signs of the Calcareous substance.

IMG_0646.jpg

Photograph - Saturday, October 11, 2008 - Ocean's Blend additives.