• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium.

Jasonanatal's JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Nano Reef Aquarium Update.

Equipment: American Marine PinPoint pH Probe

I finally decided to place an order for my American Marine PinPoint pH Probe that connects to my Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2. I also purchased plenty of calibration fluid so that every 2 weeks I can remove the probe to calibrate it to make sure everything is within working condition. This little device has actually led me to see a gradual decline in the pH of my reef aquarium which I'm currently working toward rectifying.

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Photograph - Saturday, October 04, 2008 - American Marine Pin Point pH Probe.

Chemical: D&D The Aquarium Solution H2Ocean Salt

As you all know I'm always itching to purchase quality products for use in my reef aquarium so I purchased a bucket of D&D The Aquarium solutions H2Ocean Salt. This salt is derived from the process of solar evaporation of water from the Red Sea and I have heard good things about it so why not give it a try. I'll let everyone know if their are any added benefits from using this salt. However, their definitely is something to be said when a company invest time and money into extra wrapping for this salt.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Photograph - Saturday, October 11, 2008 - D&D The Aquarium Solution H2Ocean Salt.

Livestock: Kole Tang "Ctenochaetus Strigosus"

Maximum Length: 7.1 Inches
Care Level: Moderate
Family: Acanthuridae
Reef Compatibility: Excellent
Minimum Aquarium Size: 70 gallon
Range: Indo-Pacific, Hawaii
Diet: Herbivore- herbivore preparations, macro algae
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

The body of the Hawaiian Kole Tang is brown in color and is marked with about 35 fine, light, longitudinal lines which continue onto the rear of the soft dorsal and anal fins at the back of the body. Indian Ocean specimens bear spots, rather then the distinctive stripes. The Hawaiian Kole's eye is encircled by a bright yellow ring, small blue spots cover much of the head, and the chin appears to be a purplish color. Some juvenile specimens have a greenish yellow color with blue markings and faint dark stripes. The Kole Tang has a very interesting history from Ancient Hawaiian times. It was considered as "Royal" food and was kapu (forbidden) to be caught or eaten by anyone accept Royalty. The penalty, if found with the Kole, was death. Remember, if you have one of these fish, it has a very sacred history with the Hawaiian people, and in Hawai'i today is prized as a delicacy. Even though the Kole Tang is one of the less aggressive Surgeonfishes, it will battle with its own kind, and possibly with close relatives. Because it is less aggressive it may also be picked on by other, more aggressive Surgeonfishes. For this reason it is best kept singly, one per tank, but it does make a good choice when it comes to compatibility with other more docile, non-related species. To reduce compatibility problems, if you decide to put this fish together it generally helps to introduced them into the aquarium at the same time. Like all Surgeonfishes, the Kole has a very sharp spur or razor by the tail. It may seem small, but it can inflict a pretty nasty cut. Therefore, use caution when handling this fish. This fish is a workhorse when it comes to eating various types of algae in an aquarium, particularly brown diatom microalgae. From our experiences of keeping this fish we could put a few in a tank that had a brown diatom algae accumulation on the glass, and within days it would be gone. All that was left were the little lip marks on the glass where the algae used to be. The Kole Tang spends it day constantly grazing and eating, so providing it with an environment with plenty of algae growth is best. However, beware not to put one in a small reef tank, as it can do a lot of damage if you have delicate plants and algae growth that you want to keep. In a very large reef tank the plant growth can recover, as the Kole has so much to pick from. The Kole Tang adapts to eating tank fed foods extremely well. It will accept blue-green alga Spirulina, fresh romaine lettuce and other vegetable matter such as broccoli and zucchini. It likes nori (dried seaweed), flake foods made from dried marine algaes, and will even nibble on some meaty foods like dried shrimp and blood worms. When feeding with fresh romaine lettuce, broccoli or other fresh vegetables, place these foods in the freezer long enough to partially freeze them, then let them thaw out. This helps to break down the tough fibrous matter in the plants and allows the fish to digest them more easily. You can also blanch them to get the same results.

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Photograph - Sunday, October 19, 2008 - My new Kole Tang "Ctenochaetus strigosus".

Livestock: Aarrowhead Crab "Stenorhynchus Seticornis"

Care Level: Easy
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Carnivore
Range: Carribean
Family: Majidae
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

The Arrow Crab uses its very long legs to walk over the reef and to climb over almost any obstacle. It will not bother corals, however the occasional large specimen may pick at small passive fishes. Some Arrow Crabs will eat troublesome bristle worms. Overall, a great reef inhabitant that can live for several years in the home aquarium.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Photograph - Sunday, October 19, 2008 - My new Aarowhead Crab "Stenorhynchus Seticornis"