• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jay's IM20 Peninsula Build

So for a couple years I have admired my cousins IM10 Nano. Now that my 2 kids are 4 and 7 and I finally am getting caught up on the home projects I finally have my home office set up. Well just finishing it up as I am starting this. I had looked at the RS reefer 170 of the IM20 Peninsula. IM20 ended up being the one as I can view and have more of a 270degree view which I liked. Too bad they don't make them 15" tall.

At any rate when I picked up the tank I spent some time sorting through the 6 cases of rocks at my local store and brought this home. There is about 24lbs of rock in what you see. I have a vision for the scape after looking for a long time lurking on people photos and build threads while I was deciding on jumping in. I really liked the branched rock in the middle to bridge it together and also create lots of areas for coral growth along with fish spots. I though that I would break one rock up for parts to make it all work but I'm fairly pleased with it as I see it. The top of the rock is 2" from the water line nearest the filter and 3.5" at the end. There is at least 1" of space at any point on the rocks to the long sides of the tank. The stick, I took a few broken parts along with the only one with a multi stem. I like the look but wanted more elevation on the base and I have glued one section as I am holding it in the photo. Rock is all dry live rock. I do need to pick a sand still, will put in an inch or so of sand. Thinking a whiter sand. With the dark rocks they will all pop more.

I played around a little with the rocks and with whats here I cant get much different look unless I create more of a mass with them all. As it sits I have different views from all 3 sides of the tank. The sticks I don't want to attach to any rock as the look then just seems less natural

With this layout I have plenty of areas that will be lower light and the tops for high light corals. I got a deal on a Hydra 26 from my local shop and will mount from the ceiling on this. I prefer the clean look that way and can put in a protein skimmer ( I think the Icecap K1) should I need to.

I need to see what my evaporation will be once I get it up and running but want to do some sort of ATO as I need the ability to leave it for a day or so in my busy times. Also for vacations so I don't need a daily checking.

A few things I still need to buy

Cobalt 75watt heater.
Filter cartridge and media to swap the sock (Need to research best media still. Boyd looks promising.
Sicce 1.0 pump and use the stock one for the ATO
ATO - So far the Icecap looks best as it has the overfill safety. Really don't want a float in the tank.
Lowered output adapter and maybe the random flow generator.

Down the road either the Ecotech MP10 powerhead and battery or the cheaper version minus the program ability. Forget the brand. Its about 80.00. Its basically my backup when there is power outages to keep the flow and also be able to keep a better flow in the tank too. I do like the program ability but also might just want to keep it simple.

Goals for the tank are to house a few fish. 1 or 2 Clowns and 1 or 2 other small guys what exactly I am still unsure as I wont be getting much for fish for a few months.. Some snails, maybe a crab for cleaning and I really like the banded starfish. I was instructed at the shop that starting the tank with the live rock, sand and a dose of Dr Tims will get me going.

One thing I am concerned of is the light. So I know it will be dialed in and set for the tank. I'm more looking at the overthrow of light to the sides. Do any of you mask or make a shade for the sides? As this is on my desk, a 3'x5' antique drafting table I prefer not to have the blue hue on my work all day or the PC screen. Also what is the general thoughts to height off the water? I'm thinking 18" so I have access to the tank and its not real high above my eye level while I am seated. If I went 12" high then Ill need to make a latch setup that I can pull it away from the tank for cleaning and work.

I'm in Hazlet so if there are any local guys Id love to know!

rps20181231_200701_047.jpg rps20181231_200714_540.jpg rps20181231_200729_480.jpg

Attachments

• rps20181231_200739_408.jpg
    rps20181231_200739_408.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 4

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hi! Welcome to njreefers. The tank reef-scape looks great. Good luck with your build. There are a few in the area. I live off of Hwy 34 near Holmdel park. Definitely think about becoming a member. There are a lot of perks. Hope to meet you soon at one of the meetings

Hi! Welcome to njreefers. The tank reef-scape looks great. Good luck with your build. There are a few in the area. I live off of Hwy 34 near Holmdel park. Definitely think about becoming a member. There are a lot of perks. Hope to meet you soon at one of the meetings

Thanks. Yes I do plan to join. Just joined the forum today and just starting out with saltwater so I still have lots to learn. Really want to find someone local that is into nano tanks that can help me out getting planned and set up right as to not have too many screw-ups. I want to get a few more items before I add water. As I have a week trip for work coming up in 2 weeks I will wait until I return to get it wet. Though I don't know how long I can wait. haha So far Rob from Aquarium Care Center has been great with all my questions. Also where I got the tank and light.

Slow going. I still need to get an order in for some parts. Heater and IM filter basket. Need to get sand too. I go away for 10 days in 2 weeks so Ill fill when Im back. I have worked out the light and bracket. Bought the ceiling mount but didnt like it and the cord was way too short to use it. So I came up with this. Also allows me a swing on the thread so I can move if I need to. Its 13" off the tank. Can go any lower and still have the power supply uder the table. AI should have a 16 ' cable!

Still need to get a wire track for the wall but the curtian will hide some too.

I also epoxied the branch on where I wanted it.

20190102_201249.jpg 20190105_144043.jpg 20190105_144048.jpg

Regarding the ATO - i'm not familiar with the ice cap one, but i've used the Tunze Osmolator for many years now and would definitely suggest researching it. It's pricey but i've never had a problem with the ATO.

WOW that light holder is very cool looking.

Thanks. I also routed the wire inside. Having a full machine shop in the garage I have fun. I also turned the brass standoff for the light from the Cherry wood bracket.

Pipes were sandblasted, primed and painted then baked in the oven to cure. Its a very durable paint. Ive also painted the brass standoffs and are cooling down to put back together.

20190105_155003.jpg

So looking at a dry tank and thinking of apace for coral to grow I have played aroujd with 2 island ideas. I took out the branch. Rough measurement of light is 100 to 120 on the floor and about 300 at the top of the rocks. The water and net lid will drop some but thats only at 60% of my light at 14500k.

Thoughts. Id like to put some of the spa in the sand too but there is a good amount of rock space and also hiding places for fish. Sand will also sure up the base rocks..

20190107_201158.jpg 20190107_201219.jpg 20190107_201229.jpg 20190107_201258.jpg

Well got the RO/DI system running and flushed. Made about 20G today. Mixed up salt, all set. 1.024. Ill let the tank run until tomorrow to check the salt level. Heater is in and on 78. Water must be 60s. Sock is in and new Sicce 1.0 is in and plumbed into the random flow generator. The 3D printed version.

So I leave in 7 days, should I wait to add Dr Timms or start it and get through it. Cutting close though.

20190111_211202.jpg

So 4 days into the cycle and coralline algae is starting to grow. Guess I'm off to a good start. I am not running any lighting other than the natural sunlight it gets. Should I leave it alone for now or have a single snail just to keep it from taking over the rocks? Like a single Cerith. I would like to get a Fighting Conch but don't think there is anything for it to eat yet.

On the fish add. So should I add the Clown first or my Goby. Not yet decided on what ones yet either. But I will limit myself to 2 or 3 fish. A Urchin would be cool but don't know yet of it would be too much.

I did get in my Jebao PP4 and all connected. Been running on mode 2 and level 2. down to level 1. Still at times stirs up it a little. it has really made the sand look more natural from the flow. Good thing my rocks are on the glass then sand added.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Coraline after 4 days into a cycle with dry man-made rock? Are you sure it's not cyano? Please don't use a live fish until your system is cycled. Drop 4 flakes of fish food in a day until you spot ammonia in your daily tests. Keep feeding imaginary fish daily---and 5 days after you fail to provoke ammonia, you are cycled... 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. Test your Mg, Ca and KH too and have them at the correct steady numbers

Its possible, its just very little spots and being the purple looking rocks its hard to tell. Yes they were dry Caraib Sea rock. I am using DR Tims fishless cycle. Ammonia is about a 2.0 or less. KH has been steady at 8.7 but started about 8.7 and spiked to 9.0 on day 2. Need to test the nitrates tomorrow, never got the kit when it was supposed to be here.

So being most likely Cyano. leave it until my cylce is done?