• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jay's IM20 Peninsula Build

Coraline after 4 days into a cycle with dry man-made rock? Are you sure it's not cyano? Please don't use a live fish until your system is cycled. Drop 4 flakes of fish food in a day until you spot ammonia in your daily tests. Keep feeding imaginary fish daily---and 5 days after you fail to provoke ammonia, you are cycled... 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. Test your Mg, Ca and KH too and have them at the correct steady numbers

Also I am not adding any fish or inverts until at least Jan 28th

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Once it is cycled, you will go through an ugly stage. Once it is stable and you had no ammonia, you can add one fish. You will also have an ugly stage for a few weeks so be prepared...don't use any miracle potions to try to cure it. Bottle cures can cause out of balance later on.

Thanks. I expected there to be the ugly stage as I read over and over its part of starting a new tank. I really don't want to do any extra chemicals. Having a pesticide license and business, I am fully aware of what just a little can do. I figured when the tank starts to build up its balanced ecosystem it will all fade away.

I have been looking at ATOs for a while and had decided on the XP Aqua Duetto. It's small sensor and no minimum time refill makes it a good option for a small sump. The refill on my tank is about 3 seconds and many seem to have a 10sec min. pump duration. Installed temporary into a 5gal bucket until I make or buy a container. Also the pump had no problem lifting up 4.5'

So I got my other test kit in and tested the NO2 and NO3.

NO2 2.0
NO3 5.0

Today was the last day of the ammonia drops too.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sorry about that ...yes PO4. Get the ultra low range one. Hanna makes one HI736

Would that be the 0-10ppm? Or should I get the Redsea Phosphate Pro kit. Says .014-1.6ppm.

What is the desired level? .07ppm is what I just found for a average reading.

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
You want the Hanna 736 ULR Phosphorus Checker.

The Low range phosphate checker is +- .04ppm. If it reads .06 it could be .02 to .1 ppm po4.

The ULR is +- .015ppm. So if it gives you .06 it is between .045 to .075.

The ulr takes a bit of math since it reads in ppb phosphorus and not ppm phosphate. The conversion formula is (Reading x 3.066) / 1000

So over 2 weeks with the dr tims and still not cycled. Nitrate and nitrite high levels. Bottom of the charts. Any one local have a sponge or something to add some bacteria to my tank to help move it along??

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
What test kits are you using? They all have a range of accuracy, but tests like API are known to have large variances.

Also, what is your idea of high nitrate? I wouldn't consider nitrates high until they were over 100. You can lower nitrate with many methods. Water change, carbon dosing, bacteria blends, etc.

Nitrite should be zero.

Dave

I have RedSea and API kits. Nitrate was 20 or so. Nitrite near zero 2ppm I think it was. Ammonia 0, Phosphate was at the first reading. Not home to look. Its the RS ultra low range.

So I got back from my trip and set up the Fuge in from Algae Barn. Sea Lettuce and Marine Pure Spheres.. Also put in a CUC.

I also made up a spreadsheet so I can track the testing, Phyto and waterchanges

CA330
MG1280
KH 8.4
PH 8.0
NH3 0
PO4 BELOW .01
NO2 .25
NO3 0
78deg

Lighting is 20k for 9 hours and 1.5hr ramp. Fuge light runs 8hrs at night.

Currently using IO Salt and once I start to get Corals that need the Ca Ill start to use the higher elements salts.

So the low nitrate I assume is due to the add of the Fuge? It was 20 then 10 now 0. I added the Damsel and coral yesterday so will test again in 2 days and see if its risen from feeding and new bioload of the fish/corals too. I understand that 10-30 is pretty average for a reef tank. Read that is 0 for too long other troubles arise?

Feeding is typically daily a little at a time or once heavier around noon. Today was the first day on frozen, both fish and the Zoas ate it. Once the powerhead came back on it hot them both with food. Also the Nassarius snails all came out for it too.

Orange Bambam new Feb 2019.jpg

misc Zoa new Feb 2019.jpg

About 2 months in. Though my mess. Seems as my algae issue was caused by the sun hitting the tank. Shade closed and 3 days completly clear.

A few tank photos for fun. Look ma, no blues. Photo color adjusted in my phone settings.
20190307_163104.jpg
20190307_163217.jpg
20190307_163320.jpg
20190307_163326.jpg
20190304_195545.jpg

Tank is a 20 Gallon. IM Nuvo peninsula. Really wanted the unobstructed views. have to say I do love it. It sits on my desk!

I can see myself getting the new IM dropoff, Its a 70G Dreaming I suppose.