• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jgraz's march to 200DD

do you have a shut off valve so you can shut the water going to your new main dt? you can always just fill the new tank with ro water and mix the salt in the empty tank and once the salinity matches then just open the valve for a min or so then shut it off. do that over and over until you get things slowly mixed together. like you said it just like doing a large water change. spread it out over a few days

I'm gonna have a dedicated pump only for the DT. External so while I will have ball valves to adjust down a bit if needed I can just turn on and off the pump. All I would need to be concerned with during that time is drain back which may be substantial due to the length of plumbing so I'll have to keep an eye on my skimmer during that time.

Just a little added support even though there are 2x12's placed here. I figured its cheap enough, why not.
65EA0CDE-762F-4D29-AFB9-BEC389011C29_zpsy9kniane.jpg

Less bounce, so watchers will not make ripples on the water surface. I did the same for the 120 and that part of the floor is rock solid!

I like the rock to the far left...I think I would do my best to isolate it more as it is pretty unique. I personally like a little more variation in hight so would move some rock away from the left and build up the right, I like the rock that sticks forward in the left hand side close to the brace. Just make sure you have extra room to get your glass cleaner in there. I have one section that I got to close to the front and it is a source of constant aggrevation. OH and it is funny looks like you put a patio umbrella in the rock to the right will you keep it? :D

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looks good. Only thing I don't like is the rock on top near the right hand overflow box. Just looks a bit out of place

You will find that there are dead spots around the base of the overflow chambers that are hard to get circulation to. You might consider using some large pieces of PVC under your rock as tunnels for the fish, and conduits for water flow in those area's.

Thank you all for the suggestions. One nice thing about using dry rock is that it allows me to easily switch things around. I intend to pretty much stare at this for a week or so and tweak it hear and there till I get it just right.

Now on to something a little different. I know PaulB is a big fan but what the consensus on bottles in the tank. I love the way they look in Paul's tank and have always wanted to give 1 or 2 a try. When I set this scape up I purposely set a few areas where I think they would go well.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think that tank needs some water! I like the open-ness of the rock. Doesn't look like the Berlin Wall (for those who remember that.) The open aspect gives the fish plenty of spaces to swim in and out and hide. Nice!

And James, I didn't know what you were talking about with the umbrella, and had to go back and look at the pictures. That's pretty funny! It must be those fancy lights John is planning....the fish might need some shade. :)

0651678C-534B-4782-8BBE-1B6ABF37AD9F_zpsbf41b4dz.jpg

Last edited:
That reflection is almost perfectly placed. That's actually the second pic I took. The first was me in my boxers. Almost posted that one.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think it looks great John. I do agree with James about that one rock up top on the right. It does look a bit out of place. And I really love the tall piece on the far left with the shelf piece connected to it.

I also agree with Jim about the possible dead flow area in the back... between the overflow boxes. I would either add PVC piping (maybe just add some big 4" elbows on/in the sand, around the inside corner of each overflow box) or bring the rocks out away from the corners to leave a lane behind all the rock.

If you added the PVC elbows, you could just sit rocks on top of them to build up and sort of hide them. The idea is to avoid blocking that rectangle between the boxes in.

As for adding bottles for decoration, I think if done right it could add some character to the tank. Maybe half bury a couple in the sand like this?:

Sunken Bottles.jpg

Maybe put them in place of that small rock jutting out on the left-center, under the brace? Maybe add a shot glass in there too?

We thank you everyone for the suggestions. I moved a few things around however the large rock in the left remains in place. I have this tank right next to my desk and it is actually a focal point in the view from the left. So there it stays. As for flow behind the rocks, there is actually more space in there then the pics show. Plus I really don't think flow in this tank is going to be an issue. I will have 2 MP-40's and 2 WP-25's(soon to be WP-40's) in here plus the return nozzles that I can point where ever I choose. The undertow from this power heads should alone be enough to keep it moving.
As for more progress, I completed the plumbing this weekend and it's begging for water so I think I will be getting that going through the week. I also have a few pieces of shelf rock that should be in by Wednesday so I may add that to the scape as well, not sure yet. I am also waiting on a 15ft Aquabus cable to arrive so I can hook up the apex outlet and get this ready for power. Hopefully it's long enough. That's about it for now. Here's a few parting shots of the current scape with sand.

View from the left
252B0D2C-1ADE-45B6-B977-3A7F0D5F0895_zps62u6lifj.jpg

Left to right
22D1ACB5-E768-4A54-BD36-14E8EA935AF6_zpsdkojycey.jpg

8115B405-A12D-4C67-BA15-3C3B46A9E2E6_zpsg0wijshj.jpg

DCED38E9-1D0E-4D5F-9ECC-4CEBEF2FFC6C_zpsn8qj6hbz.jpg