• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

July 2014 Meeting Announcement

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The July 2014 Meeting will be held at the home of MatteZ (Matt). Here are the details...

When: July 19th 1pm-5pm

Where: 523 Cinnaminson St Riverton NJ 08077

Supplies: I have a nice little restaurant a block from my house that is going to provide the main food. It should be Sausage & Peppers and there will be a tray of all different kinds of wraps and a few other things. I will also get some soda and things like that. My wife and I don’t drink so bring your own booze!!! Also appetizers or deserts can’t hurt.

Other Info: We have a tiny house so keep that in mind when deciding if you want to bring the extended family with you. I have 4 kids so my house is very childproof but small. We have other pets besides just fish. We have a cat and a little French Bulldog. The cat is a cat and does what cats do so you probably won’t see it, and the dog will lick you to death and if you know anything about Frenchies then you know they are gassy. So if you smell something that’s funky it probably came from her.
My wife’s name is Elizabeth but everybody calls her Bit or Bitsy. Emma (11), Matte (9), Gabe (3), & Becca (15 months)

Matt's Bio:

When I was younger my first real tank was a 55g freshwater tank that I filled with Oscars. I started out with a dozen of them and ended with 4 that had to be over a foot long each. I had them a few years and when I would clean the tank I would fill the bathtub with water and put them in it. I was so upset when they died that we had a funeral and buried them in the backyard. I always had some kind of tank with some kind of animal in it.

Fast forward to 2009, we purchased our home and that is when the saltwater addiction took off. A friend had a 24g cube and a 90g tank. He was getting rid of the cube and gave it to me. I set it up and had no clue what I was doing. I didn’t know about the NJRC and was like most other new people to the hobby I trusted the guy at the pet store. The tank did well for a few years until my friend that gave it to me got a new job and did not have time to care for the 90. He gave that to me also. It took a bit of negotiating with my wife to get her to agree to an upgrade. Our house was an estate sale when we got it and a, “fixer upper” so we knew that I had work to do. It only had one bathroom and we needed to add another. My wife said that if I wanted to get a bigger tank I had to add a bathroom. So I put a powder room in and set up the 90.

This is when I found the NJRC. I am so glad I found the club, and try to be as active as possible. I know how much money I have spent in the hobby (my wife does not) and I can’t possibly imagine how much it would be if it wasn’t for the generosity of the club members. For the most part everybody I have met has been wonderful and helpful, and willing to help anyway needed.

At the end of 2013 I got the itch to get a bigger tank. I was running out of room in the 90 and I wanted something a bit nicer. So back to the negotiating table with my wife because I knew we needed to and she wanted to renovate our front porch. She told me that if I wanted a bigger tank I needed to put a new front porch on the house. I put a deck on the back and a new porch on the front.

I started to look for a reef ready tank with the single corner overflow on the right. Most all reef ready tanks have the corner overflow on the left. I found a local company to build me a tank with the overflow on the right. It is a Coast to Coast custom tank 54L x 24d x 25h. It is Starphire on 2 sides and a single right side overflow.

I have no room to get a bigger tank in my current house so unless I upgrade the house I am out of negotiating leverage with my wife.

I don’t get to make many of the meetings because of my busy schedule. Summer months are the easiest so in the beginning of the year I made sure I could host a meeting and show off the new tank!

If you plan to attend, please sign up on the RSVP page. If you plan to bring anything, either comment here or on the RSVP page.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Usually we show up, drink all your beer and frag all your corals, however since you don't drink alcohol maybe we will drink all your coffee and see if we can make time slow down and then slowly and carefully frag all your corals.

Usually we show up, drink all your beer and frag all your corals, however since you don't drink alcohol maybe we will drink all your coffee and see if we can make time slow down and then slowly and carefully frag all your corals.
I'll bring the cutters lol

That sounds like my kind of party! the few meetings i have been able to make I had a blast.

We only have 10 people that signed up and said yes on the RSVP. If we don't get more I may just get a hoagie tray or something. The place I plan on using won't do party trays for such a small group

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I am really touch and go at this point, we are essentially quadruple booked that day.

I'll come as long as I can get outta work early enough. I think right now I'm scheduled til 6 but I'm gonna see if I can change with someone.. I'll let ya know tomorrow

Make sure you go to 523 cinnaminson STREET in Riverton. There is a Cinnaminson AVE in Palmyra the next town over.

Just so you know Matt and his wife will be dressed like this on the front lawn so you can't miss the house

C815CEB0-0E0D-4601-9E68-7430989A53D7.png
[/URL]

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, I'm going to miss the second month in a row. I had a last minute work issue and have to be in the office tomorrow and probably Sunday. Argg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Sorry I can't make it. Was on my way out there and something came up. Have a great meeting guys.

Thanks Matt for opening up home to us. Your tank looks great. It was nice seeing everyone again and meeting some new members.