• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LFS you shop at

I think they do a lot of fish tank maintenance during day and might have a regular job as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from Burlington County and the follow shops I've been to are:

Aquarium Center: 1468 Blackwood Clementon Rd, Clementon, NJ 08021

Pros: A very modern and clean store with so much variety in livestock as well as dry goods. They even have brackish stuff. Also great deals on black Friday. It's the closest to my house I prefer to go to.
Cons: A little pricy for a college student but worth it. It could just be me but I find some of the staff a little intimidating and not fond of talking about fish and aquarium stuff and geeking out with me. Also a bit difficult sometimes to get information especially when emailing them. Otherwise highly recommend checking them out!

Allquatics: 3048 S Broad St, Trenton, NJ 08610

Pros: Really nice staff. Have a really cool reef display with the RedSea Peninsula aquarium.
Cons: Not the cleanest store and livestock aren't always in the best of shape.

Ocean Aquarium: 6820 Black Horse Pike Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Pros: Close to the university I go and is a really nice old style store. Staff are nice and a great place to go and relax to.
Cons: Really hard to read the handwriting on the fish name tags. Also not a lot of variety.

Petco/Petsmart: Nationwide

Who hasn't gone here?? Went there not when I started out in the hobby. Still go but mostly for dry goods as it can be cheaper.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My local store is
Aquatic Obsessions
1150 St George Ave
Avenel, NJ 07001

They are the reason why I have a salt water tank.
The quality of fish and coral frags is amazing.
The staff is very helpful (even will) just give them time. This is the fish store you go to when you are not in a rush.

I am a realtor so I drive up and down NJ. I have shopped almost in every store. Aquatic obsession is the only store I trust. They won’t sell a sick fish. Everything is priced and labeled with the date of arrival.

I also have to say Fengs is also another good place to buy coral I don’t look at him as a store.
Huge frags cheap. Just call before you go.

Last edited:

burrito

NJRC Member
local store is reefco in greenbrook, i think i'm spoiled because of it. the prices are fair, the store is impeccable and if you are a coral fan, look no further.

i also go to ocean gallery 2 sometimes, big store, has a good selection and alot of nice display tanks to stare at. i've only bought coral from their 3 for x$ tank

petco in bridgewater: was decent about a year ago and has gone dowwhill fast, everything has ich or covered in cyano, somehow managed to buy 2 snowflake clowns the day they came in by chance last april, still with me today

I'm from Burlington County and the follow shops I've been to are:

Aquarium Center: 1468 Blackwood Clementon Rd, Clementon, NJ 08021

Pros: A very modern and clean store with so much variety in livestock as well as dry goods. They even have brackish stuff. Also great deals on black Friday. It's the closest to my house I prefer to go to.
Cons: A little pricy for a college student but worth it. It could just be me but I find some of the staff a little intimidating and not fond of talking about fish and aquarium stuff and geeking out with me. Also a bit difficult sometimes to get information especially when emailing them. Otherwise highly recommend checking them out!

Allquatics: 3048 S Broad St, Trenton, NJ 08610

Pros: Really nice staff. Have a really cool reef display with the RedSea Peninsula aquarium.
Cons: Not the cleanest store and livestock aren't always in the best of shape.

Ocean Aquarium: 6820 Black Horse Pike Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Pros: Close to the university I go and is a really nice old style store. Staff are nice and a great place to go and relax to.
Cons: Really hard to read the handwriting on the fish name tags. Also not a lot of variety.

Petco/Petsmart: Nationwide

Who hasn't gone here?? Went there not when I started out in the hobby. Still go but mostly for dry goods as it can be cheaper.
Must have been a while since you went to Allquatics.
They might very well be the worst LFS in the USA.
I can't imagine the saltwater stock(fish/coral) can get any worse.

It's a shame too they used to come around every now and then. But it's been a long time since then.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sea Gems in Turnersville NJ is great... If you are into the more exotic fish than tsm corals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must have been a while since you went to Allquatics.
They might very well be the worst LFS in the USA.
I can't imagine the saltwater stock(fish/coral) can get any worse.

It's a shame too they used to come around every now and then. But it's been a long time since then.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
It is sad that store is more closer to me than Aquarium Center. But I would rather drive the extra miles to Aquarium Center as not only is the store well maintained but have a wide variety of livestock in both fish and saltwater and are healthy.

I live in Brick and have been reefing in small tanks since 2015. In the few years I have been in this hobby I have met some.amazing people at some awesome local and not so local places. Here they are.

Aquarium Care Center in Ocean nj
They have top quality fish corals and inverts, the place is super well equipped, they're extremely knowledgeable and some guys are super helpful and friendly.

Petco in Brick
They have a much nicer inventory then you would ever expect a big chain to have, and Andrew the head of the aquatics dept. is super friendly and knowledgeable. The prices are cheap and if your looking for s ok nothing particularly andrew can order in or let you know when he gets one in.

Rt 88 petworld Brick Nj
The store is a place worth stopping in and checking if your over there. They have a smaller selection of fish and corals but sometimes you get lucky there.

Reef co Nj in Greenbrook nj
Has an amazing show room and coral selection as well as fish. They are relatively new but are super nice and helpful, they're also extremely knowledgeable on their stock and will point you in the right direction with anything you buy from them as far as care tips.

And now for the Far ones....

The Hidden Reef in Levittown Pennsylvania
Amazing store, huge stock of fish and corals, inverts and live rock, tanks etc. They have salt and fresh for everyone's needs and sizes. The prices are amazing as well, I've gotten some epic pieces of coral from them for less that $30 a frag, usually like $14.99 A frag. The staff is extremely nice and helpful as well. It's a hike and not much of a "local" fish store for me, but I dont mind the ride due to the enormous selection and savings everytime I visit there.

That Fish Place in Lancaster Pennsylvania
By far the most extensive inventory of any foah store I've ever been too. Almost like a small aquarium lol. Tons of tanks and equipment for both salt and fresh. The price of the equipment and tanks is usually the cheapest I have found around, especially if your there during a sale. I have no problem travelling for quality and savings. Its roughly 2.5-3 hours from my home in Brick nj.

There is a few more located in nj that I'm very excited to try and check out for the first time.

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
Hey guys, new to NJRC but not reefing! Started in 2014. I live in New Brunswick but started this hobby living in Warren County so I have seen a lot of stores in the area.

My two recent favorites have been Aquatic Obsessions and Reefco Aquariums.

Aquatic Obsessions -- has quality fish and coral. Not much more I can say about it, I wouldn't go here to pick up a 20-30$ fish because, he doesn't seem to have many of those, they seem to specialize in more exotic and hard to find animals. Not to say you can't find your medium level fish like a coral beauty or reef angel, but they will be in a tank sitting next to a Gem Tang or Earmuff Wrasse. They won't rush you but if you need help or have questions they are willing to help you and answer any questions!

Reefco Aquariums -- has been up as a retail store for about 2 years now. I just found this store this past weekend and I am glad I did! They have the LARGEST selection of high end coral frags I have ever seen in one place. All those corals you see online from coral retailers, you will find here. The fish are also very healthy and the entire store is nice and clean. They also have a great selection of dry goods as well. I just picked up a pair of clowns for my tank, nearly naked and wyoming white. They also had some mocha storms that almost had me break the bank! Overall great first experience and I will be back!

Others I have been to include, in no particular order:

Aquarium Care Center -- Nice selection of corals; frags and large colonies. These guys always have some type of sale going on and they have an app you can download on your phone to tell you what's new.

Something Fishy (Northampton PA) -- Must check out if you are in the northwest part of Jersey. This was my go to store when I started out. Great large selection of fish, inverts and corals as well. Owner is usually always there and very helpful, it is a nicely run store, worth a trip.

Sea Level Aquarium -- Not a huge store but they have great deals on corals and a fair selection of nice fish. They have coral frag tanks from $10 $20-$30-$40 and $50 which are typically fully stocked with nice looking corals. Lots for nice Euphyllia seem to always be in stock.

Ocean gallery II -- Usually decent selection of fish and coral. Also have multiple dry tanks for sale at any time and if you happen to be in the freshwater, or reptile game.. they have that too!

Interested to see some more ppl with their recent selections. It's sad to say but a lot of stores have closed since I started so I am sure others could use some more updated recommendations!

Salted

NJRC Member
We are in Denville, morris cnty. I say we because this is my 16y/o son's new hobby, so I'm here out of curiosity. I took him to Absolutely Fish today in Clifton. I've only taken him to a couple of places so I don't have much to go by. The place seemed clean and the staff seemed knowledgeable. Busy even with covid. Last week i had taken him to Ely's in Florham Park. Seemed very dirty and run down, but I guess if the fish stock is healthy that's what counts but again I have very little to go by. I will have to take him to OIC in Ledgewood. Thet seem to be well regarded here.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
We are in Denville, morris cnty. I say we because this is my 16y/o son's new hobby, so I'm here out of curiosity. I took him to Absolutely Fish today in Clifton. I've only taken him to a couple of places so I don't have much to go by. The place seemed clean and the staff seemed knowledgeable. Busy even with covid. Last week i had taken him to Ely's in Florham Park. Seemed very dirty and run down, but I guess if the fish stock is healthy that's what counts but again I have very little to go by. I will have to take him to OIC in Ledgewood. Thet seem to be well regarded here.
Welcome @Salted , what is it you and your son are looking for? Feel free to ask reef related questions on the forum.

Salted

NJRC Member
Welcome @Salted , what is it you and your son are looking for? Feel free to ask reef related questions on the forum.
I'm looking to learn so I can guide and assist my son. He has his tank , 55g, up and running and is just obsessed with getting fish (not that I can hold that against him). At his age he kinda lacks patience and will look something up, skim it quick and not go any deeper. I'll go look for a new members thread and introduce myself further. Thanks.

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Lately I’ve been driving out to Aquarium Center in Blackwood. I have to drive an hour, but they always have the supplies I need in stock. So they’ve been getting my salt, food, gfo, carbon, etc business. Plus, when I’m there I check out the livestock and coral, don’t alway buy but sometimes I can’t get out of there without something.