• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LFS you shop at

I'll be making my first trip to Salgado this Sunday. Planning to pick up something I've been wanting.
I've shopped there twice. Its a small room size store I believe it's their home. Very nice couple. The first time, no problem. Healthy fish at a great price. Second time, I was given 2 sick fish. They didn't even last the trip home. I tried to contact them through email multiple times but was ignored.

I highly recommend you go in, look at how ALL the fish look and have them feed whatever you might want. Make sure it's healthy.

Salted

NJRC Member
I've shopped there twice. Its a small room size store I believe it's their home. Very nice couple. The first time, no problem. Healthy fish at a great price. Second time, I was given 2 sick fish. They didn't even last the trip home. I tried to contact them through email multiple times but was ignored.

I highly recommend you go in, look at how ALL the fish look and have them feed whatever you might want. Make sure it's healthy.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm less excited for my trip now but better to be informed.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm less excited for my trip now but better to be informed.

I had a great experience with them. Bought a fish that is notorious for not eating. I was able to observe it in their tank, they fed it for me and it has been a great fish for me.

I think, as with any store, you gotta do the research on husbandry, and observe for yourself to make these purchases. If a fish doesn't look right, isn't eating or looks sick, no amount of salesmanship should trick you into buying something. And of course, quarantine everything.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

They use to be in Staten Island and they moved back in March...correct?

Salted

NJRC Member
I had a great experience with them. Bought a fish that is notorious for not eating. I was able to observe it in their tank, they fed it for me and it has been a great fish for me.

I think, as with any store, you gotta do the research on husbandry, and observe for yourself to make these purchases. If a fish doesn't look right, isn't eating or looks sick, no amount of salesmanship should trick you into buying something. And of course, quarantine everything.
I have my sons' empty 15g I could throw up quick. A filter, heater and couple pvc pieces for the bottom should suffice for a couple weeks? Or do I even need a filter? I could just do a 5g water change every other day and just throw in an air stone on a small pump. I haven't done a quarantine tank yet.

Last edited:

As I stated, they are a good store. Some caution is in order. As with anywhere else. The first time I placed the order, they waited for me to get there, showed me the fish eating and let me choose. The second time, by the time I got there, they were already in bags and looked like any fish would look when stressed. By the time I got home, they were already halfway gone. Didn't last the night.

I have my sons' empty 15g I could throw up quick. A filter, heater and couple pvc pieces for the bottom should suffice for a couple weeks? Or do I even need a filter? I could just do a 5g water change every other day and just throw in an air stone on a small pump. I haven't done a quarantine tank yet.
I Highly recommend qting any and all fish before adding to tank. Rather be safe than sorry.

maybe should be moved to another thread but to address question, check out humblefish's threads on qt. think about the size and biological load of the fish. consider ammonia poisoning, bacterial bloom, asphyxiation from lowered levels of oxygen caused by medications and biological load etc. a lot of people like ammonia badge, live bacteria, seachem prime.
qt isn't always a walk in the park. I'd practice qt with an inexpensive fish you won't be put off on losing $$ and desired fish before jumping in the water so to speak. otherwise you could find a fish already qt by seller.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I plan on going Saturday and was looking forward to the coupon however it says it’s only valid for $300 or more. I won’t be spending that until I’m ready to stock the 125.

I plan on going Saturday and was looking forward to the coupon however it says it’s only valid for $300 or more. I won’t be spending that until I’m ready to stock the 125.
get on their website, you can earn discounts by registering, liking on facebook, twitter instagram etc. should be able to do at least 5 or 10 bucks off. also another way is to make a purchase online and bamn you probably get like $5 coupon for your next spend. then immediately buy something else or just spend it when you get there.

its like a floating rewards button

I live in north jersey so my go to store is somethingfishy in northampton pa. Although there is a new store opening in flemington about 20 minutes south of me.