• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for a reactor (Shore area)

@diana a How far along are you in creating the reactor?
I tried this and did not like it. Lesson's learned were:
Add a sponge filter to the pump intake or the reactor will eventually will build up grime.
Do not turn off reactor pump without also turning off reactor lights, lights will heat up the reactor and kill the macro.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@d5332 didn't even start it. I figured I would find a reactor first. How long did you run and you found it wasn't worth doing? I watched this video so many times

I watched his video and others.
The videos that make is sound like an amazing idea are usually from YouTube users that are trying to create a following.
The omit the real details.

The lights on the reactor will naturally grow film algae, so if you want an ultra clean looking reactor you have to take it apart often and clean the reactor.
The feed pump will require a sponge to prevent clogging and or macro being covered by sediment.

The idea of a macro reactor is only good for someone that does not have a sump.
I ran it for months, it grew algae but required too much maintenance.
I was trying to re-purpose the sump to be a frag tank, not worth the hassle to me of having to do regular maintenance on yet another reactor.

If you have a sump, you are better off buying a generic high intensity hydroponics growth light.

Small sump
150W UFO LED Grow Light IR UV Full Spectrum Hydroponic Hydro Plant Growing Lamps 743828391485 | eBay

Large sump
360W UFO LED Grow Light Kits Lamp for Plants Growth Flowering Veg Full Spectrum 4803357268811 | eBay

Or even the rectangle lights, I have a MarsAquua Hydroponics 300w fixture over macro, macro growth fills the tank every 1-2 months.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
No sump here. Too afraid to drill tank and can just see me flooding the room the tank is in and the room below. My husband would kill me with just cause

hang on back refugium would be much easier

Finnex Hang-On-Back Breeding Box - Refugium, Large with Powerhead

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk