• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Merv's new 40 gallon build

No, it's 20.5

think of the construction this way:

Bottom piece sits flat on the table
front panel stands up and slides against the bottom. Glue.
Rear panel does the same.
The side panel stands up and slides toward the structure. Glue.

Thin strip of acrylic goes on top of the side panels. 2" x 13"

I hope that helps explain a little bit, I've never been good at explaining stuff, but I can build them with no problem.

I guess that's why my buddy building the sump kept asking me you want me to do it how?!? And then? And then? Could you send me plans to follow?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I saw it there tonight, thought it was yours. I think you are going to have fun.

mnat said:
I saw it there tonight, thought it was yours. I think you are going to have fun.
:)
I'm picking up the tank on sunday, I was gonna go today but this snow's gotta stop already!
I'm gonna brave what snow's on the ground right now and run to home depot, I've decided I wanted to trim up the stand to make it look puh-rtier

ReeferNets said:
Merv what did u end up getting?

custom drilled?

I ended up going with the 45 cube Reef ready like yours :)

I got tired of chasing custom tank builders who wanted astronomical prices, inability to help me out amongst other inconveniences- besides, Will got me such a great price on the tank (not to mention answering my PM's almost immediately), I couldn't refuse. Local retailers here in PA wanted anywheres between $20 to $110 more (believe that?!?), I figured driving back to Jersey from Phila wouldn't be such a huge ordeal for a retailer (not to mention sponsor) who's helped me out-

I'll be using both holes in the overflow as sump returns. One as the main and the other as a backup in case the other gets clogged up. I'll be making my own return manifold with PVC and loclines for better flow control.

mnat said:

Hey Mike, would you happen to notice the location of the overflow? Is it a corner or the center rear?

Merv both holes in the center back of the glass.

I had mine custom made because the elbow that connects to overflow on the rear wall stick out like three inches.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
concept3 said:
mnat said:

Hey Mike, would you happen to notice the location of the overflow? Is it a corner or the center rear?

It was in a box, didn't get a good look at it.

PICS. I guess sunday you and I shall be heading for our PICKUPS. have fun in the snow. please say it's going in the passenger seat of the s2000. ha! :eek:

evoIX said:
PICS. I guess sunday you and I shall be heading for our PICKUPS. have fun in the snow. please say it's going in the passenger seat of the s2000. ha! :eek:

this is the S a few weeks ago- she's not goin anywhere! I'm pimpin' the Xterra right now, good thing I got it in this icy mess!

S2000feb2010.jpg

AqOb said:
concept3 said:
mnat said:

its on the center rear

SHAAA-WEEEEET

I dun' drug the dang stand to the basement to continue paintin' after I dun cut the trim and nail the sucka in!

Gotta get this stand up and runnin- the tank's a comin!!!

Hope no snow on Sunday, I'm gettin tired of this.... and the whole place smells like oil paint! yeeeesh...

pics later. Gotta make din-din

so I came back from Home depot earlier today since the local True Value or Ace hardware stores want double for everything- I guess you pay for convenience :(

I got just a little over 12 feet of trim (casing) for the top and bottom $9.48, 4 feet of ribbed molding for the front for $2.08, 6 feet of a corner-type molding for the top of the stand $3.12, and a mitre box/saw for $7.98. Good thing about the trim is you cut to length.... Make sure you add a little extra since the edges have to be angled.

P2250158.jpg

Here's the trim pieces being mitred. No one's home, time to make a mess!
By the way, I chose to get the primered trim only because it was the cheapest at $0.79/foot

P2250159.jpg

Glue application, lots of it!

P2250160.jpg

here's the trim all nailed up

P2250162.jpg

the "ribbed" trim pieces are for the front corners.

P2250163.jpg

The top or base is actually gonna sit on top of the trim. I would rather cut the piece larger just in case- you'll see in later pics how I plan on making the trim and the top look more seamless-
P2250164.jpg

Here's how it's gonna sit:

P2250171.jpg

and the plan to "finish off" the top piece and trim instead of looking at the plywood layers

P2250170.jpg

This way, I have all 25.5 inches of top to work with. Plus, I know for a fact that the tank's plastic edges won't be resting on the wooden trim alone.

P2250172.jpg

Pre-painting.... all sanded. I cleaned up because people were gonna be home soon :D

P2250173.jpg