• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Merv's new 40 gallon build

So last night I was racking my brain on light hanging options-

I really like the look of the solana pendants and I wanted to replicate something from a budget standpoint. After looking at options online (very very few by the way), I decided to create my own using square tubing, but my non-access to a welder or a local welder willing to help out, I think I've decided to go with a steel bar that anyone can get at home depot. Home depot carries a steel that's 1" x 2" x 1/2", so I think I may get a 6 foot section of that and bend it at a nice curvy 45 degree angle that I will mount behind the stand. I'm still in the initial thinking process but I'm more curious to what weight it can hold since the light fixture will be hanging on it.

Here's the plan.

Lightsupport.jpg
LightsupportREAR.jpg

Obviously, you did not stay in Reefer's Rehabilitation long enough. It seems you've fallen right back into your old ways, Merv. May I suggest a lizard or a zebra finch instead?

I watch Celebrity Rehab so I'm an expert on this. ;D

GregW said:
Obviously, you did not stay in Reefer's Rehabilitation long enough. It seems you've fallen right back into your old ways, Merv. May I suggest a lizard or a zebra finch instead?

I watch Celebrity Rehab so I'm an expert on this. ;D

:D Old ways yes, New twist yes.... :)

I prefer the non-existent poop clean up that fish and corals produce. Water changes are OK, but they are far and few in between instead of every other day!

I don't know why the second pic above isn't working, here it is again:

LightSupportREAR.jpg

You can use electrical conduit and a conduit bender to get the shape you want. It's plenty strong enough and cheap. I doubt you'll need the padded block at the tank.

evoIX said:
what type of chain are you going to use? what type of piping do you plan to use?

I was planning to use the flat iron bars available in Home depot, they usually have a small section by the hardware area, they measure like 1" x 1" x 6 foot (also available in 1" x 2"), but as Jeff mentioned, I'll probably look into electrical conduit as well. I wanted to go as thin or as small as possible so as not to detract from the tank itself, I didn't want anything too gaudy over the tank. (thanks Jeff)

The chain thing- I'm thinking of using the black chain link (small size) also available at HD- it's like $1.49/foot if I remember

i would go with the electrical conduit. i know the bar your referring to. 10.59each. i personally would need about 3 pieces. then drill and depending on either welding or bracing. would end up costing. i would suggest conduit if you have the bender or the cutter a lot cheaper. 3bucks for a 10 foot 1" conduit tube.

i had to buy the cutter and figure out how to use it (youtube) first time around messed up. hard to cut small pieces as well. i would probably end up using a hack saw but i figured another lazy way out ;)

i used a 90 elbow instead of having to bend and they have links to hold two pieces together.

i spent 25 bucks all together. yours would probably about 15 bucks. i needed to make two since mines a 48inch width.

evoIX said:
i would go with the electrical conduit. i know the bar your referring to. 10.59each. i personally would need about 3 pieces. then drill and depending on either welding or bracing. would end up costing. i would suggest conduit if you have the bender or the cutter a lot cheaper. 3bucks for a 10 foot 1" conduit tube.

i had to buy the cutter and figure out how to use it (youtube) first time around messed up. hard to cut small pieces as well. i would probably end up using a hack saw but i figured another lazy way out ;)

i used a 90 elbow instead of having to bend and they have links to hold two pieces together.

i spent 25 bucks all together. yours would probably about 15 bucks. i needed to make two since mines a 48inch width.

I was thinking about that but I wanted a sleek piece of metal instead of having a joint in the corner, I was thinking of the bar since I have access to a torch and could easily heat up the bar and bend it to the desired angle. I'm usually better at thinking of stuff when I have it in front of me so it looks like I'm making another trip to home depot to take a look at the materials again- still up in the air at this point but I am pretty excited that I get to pickup my tank tomorrow, I'm hoping too that my sump is done. It's gonna be a busy 2 to 3 weeks!

Picked up the tank!!!! I plan on working on it tomorrow after work, I can finally finish the base and trim work and figure out some plumbing routes. One thing I didn't realize with the overflow is the tight squeeze- this may present a slight problem with my initial plan of dual drains (one main, second as emegency backup), it's gonna take a bit of brainstorming to get what I was envisioning or maybe just call it a day and say uncle-

I took a few pictures in Aquatic Obsessions and I'll post them up a bit later- I had spoken to a friend before I drove up there and he had placed an order for the same tank- he's picking up next week. And there was another couple there (I think they're members here too) who wanted to see the "45 in the corner of the store" which was already in my truck...

Let's start a 45 cube thread peeps!!!!

The top is trimmed up and just about ready to be painted! Took pics of the tank and measured up the overflow; man is it tight in there! So tight that I'm gonna have to use the stock outlet and drains- pics in a little bit- gotta finish Anthony bourdain's no reservations :)

here's the tank!

P3010179.jpg

and the "other" proprietary shot (caution: try at your own risk)

P3010178.jpg

I decided to move the resting spot to go behind the couch, there is a bump in the floor that prevented the stand from resting flat unless about 10 inches from the wall.

P3010193.jpg

yes, that is a massive chiller :)

The returns:
P3010184.jpg

2.5 inches of clearance (forget dropping something in there!)

P3010183.jpg

and about 11 inches of width

P3010185.jpg

and there ya have it!

next phase- wednesday with minor plumbing and more stand painting, maybe a door