• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Merv's new 40 gallon build

Here's a few pics that I took while I was waiting for the tank at Aquatic Obsessions- Thanks Will for allowing me to take a few pics of the place!

The following pages may take a while to load up as they're pretty large-

AqOb.jpg

ao2.jpg

1.jpg

Jcurry@wesketch said:
I think she used to be a roadie for DEVO.

lol.

she actually follows me around!

wasn't too tired tonight so I played with some plumbing to figure out what I need from Lowe's tomorrow. I think they carry a larger selection when it comes to plumbing. Good thing I have a box of goodies from my last build, things I should have returned cuz they're still with me and it's been 4 years since I setup the other tank!

P3030195.jpg

P3030196.jpg

I also don't like the fact that the overflow bulkheads stick out so much!

since I'll be plumbing tomorrow anyways, I trimmed a bit off so I can get the elbows a bit closer to the tank and away from the wall. I did the same with the bottom one, but ya have to be careful to leave enough play so that the PVC glue has enough plastic surface area to adhere to.

Here's the top cut. I only took off about 1/2 inch or so

P3030197.jpg

and the difference between the protrusions

P3030198.jpg

Next was the bottom trim, which is a bit trickier since it was a tight fit. Stay perpendicular to the tank wall!

P3030199.jpg

I had to finish cutting this way, but with a clean saw, it's pretty easy.

P3030202.jpg

Here's the extra piece, almost an inch off (the internal joint area is deeper)

P3030203.jpg

and the cleanup:

P3030204.jpg

Here was the primary schematic with the intended plumbing. It actually almost took me an hour to sketch up 5 possibilities, but I picked the best one that could possibly fit the future inhabitant's needs. I don't plan on utilizing a powerhead (for now at least)

P3030206.jpg

and to give you a rough idea for returns...... I am going to supplement the 3/4 inch locline return for better flow output and control

P3030207.jpg

I wanted a way to tie in the chiller when the time came, but still be able to use the rest of the plumbing beforehand. I also wanted to control the output flow a little bit better hence the ball valves. Dependent of their cost at Lowes or Homedepot, I may completely forgo them except the two for the chiller.

Plumbing.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well documented, as usual! Love the picumentary!

Hey why is the dog protecting your stalker? Hmmm... wonder who follows whom! ;D

Very good pics...you are a rare reefer who can fit in a 45G tank. ;D

Any thought of using black pipes for your extra returns to match the rest of the tank?

Yo Merv, I have access to a pipe bender if you need one to make your light rack. Just buy some 3/4 inch electrical conduit and bring it with you when you come pick the sump up and we'll bend it however you want.

If you want to use it give me a heads up, i'll have to bring it home from work with me over the weekend.

I should check the thread more often while I'm out and about. I picked up WHITE PVC instead of black as suggested, and bought a pipe bender and 1/2 inch conduit as previously suggested (thanks guys)-

I'll be returning the pipe bender on fri, it took like 20 seconds to bend that thing! AND oh yeah, I took a video :D

More updates!

Ugh- not a cheap day!

Spent almost $100 at Lowes for fittings since most of the ones I had were either the wrong size or had acetone damage (my old acetone pipe cleaner spilled in the box a long time ago). The biggest culprits were the ball valves at around $3.50 each. I got 7 pieces of various sizes including a true union ball valve which I'll be using for the sump-to-pump connection.

I also went and rented a conduit bender and got 2 pipes at under $2 each for a 10 foot section. I couldn't wait to get home to start bending since I've never done one before. So, measuring out 20" to make the angle, I marked it with tape.

P3030208.jpg

then bent it until it said 90 degrees

P3030209.jpg

more pics:

P3030210.jpg

both pieces:

P3030212.jpg

and then trimmed it down to size (it was too tall)

P3030213.jpg

It was so easy to do, I even took a video of it!

So here's the arms for the lights (thanks again guys for the suggestion)

P3030215.jpg

and a front shot of the tank (my roadie is behind the tank asking if she has the right size ball valve in her hand)

P3030216.jpg

and now to the piping!!! Its the best part in my opinion in setting up a new tank (minus the $$$) I made a rough copy of the intended plumbing and placed them on the table behind the tank so it's easier for me to think up in case I ran into any complications like pipe/wood clearance, etc

P3030217.jpg

Make sure the pipe ends to be cemented are cleaned up reallllly gooooot

P3030219.jpg

the two auxiliary returns:

P3030220.jpg

all dun

P3030221.jpg

I mark some pieces to keep them square when putting together some pipes

P3030224.jpg

after cementing, all lined up!

P3030226.jpg

and after an hour and a half later.....

P3030227.jpg

P3030229.jpg

and here's the side view-

P3030232.jpg

looks good MERV.  you make building everything look easy.  I HATE YOU.  btw, what are your plans for livestock/lighting? our "gallons" are almost identical having hard time thinking what i want to keep.

I'll be using a single 250w radium. Stock will determine what I can harvest from my other tank, all sps, fish will be wrasses and a small school of chromies or anthias but they are more money, and a shrimp and goby combo. Some softies cuz they provide some movement in the tank. I'm thinking of one island, with a cool looking arm.....still in planning stages of course-

i hope you had good ventilation working with the pvc glue !!!! nice cheap high lol things are looking good i can almost hear the water running mmm or is it the GLUE lol