• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Might be Emergency

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
That's a tight sump....

Yes very tight. Was very hard to get my fat butt in there to work lol.

Can you mount that power strip? Thats what worries me in the set up. Aside from that looks good

I have tried mounting the power strip but never found anything that worked. It been in the spot since day one with no issues but I do agree it's a concern. Maybe I can find something to do with it. Mainly now that I can move my return pump off there and onto my controller.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok well the wife was on my butt to clean the bathroom where I had equipment soaking.
IMG_20161203_072131.jpg

So I glued all the PVC and cleaned the equipment. I made one mistake and messed up the location for my reactor line so the hose doesn't reach now. I will let the PVC dry for about 24hours. Hopefully in that time frame I can get a connection for my reactor hose and a way to mount that power stripe.

I also have to work on this here (water change for all my tanks; reef tank will wait until tomorrow lol)

IMG_20161203_072143.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok purchased a push connector and more hose so now my reactor line reaches with no issues (which I had thought of that earlier lol)

Forgot to get something to mount the power stripe but I am going to try and put it in another location.

Hopefully tomorrow, when I add water to the sump area, all goes well and I have no leaks.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well this morning I add some water to the overflow and boom leaking from the drain bulk head. Because I was an idiot I didn't clean the overflow when I removed the old bulk heads so junk got between the seal and glass. I loosened up the bulk head just enough to get under the seal, with a brush, and cleaned it well. Relighting the bulk head down and made sure it was nice and tight . Added water back to the overflow and so far no more leaking.

I'm glad I was smart enough to have two unions (one on the drain and one on the return) so I could pull the sump out and work under there.

Well going to slowly add more water to the over flow (to bring it near the drain) and make sure we are good to move forward.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Well this morning I add some water to the overflow and boom leaking from the drain bulk head. Because I was an idiot I didn't clean the overflow when I removed the old bulk heads so junk got between the seal and glass. I loosened up the bulk head just enough to get under the seal, with a brush, and cleaned it well. Relighting the bulk head down and made sure it was nice and tight . Added water back to the overflow and so far no more leaking.

I'm glad I was smart enough to have two unions (one on the drain and one on the return) so I could pull the sump out and work under there.

Well going to slowly add more water to the over flow (to bring it near the drain) and make sure we are good to move forward.
Hoping for the best!! Unions can be a life saver when it comes to plumbing.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well having no luck. I had it not leaking and then added the sump back connected it and now it's leaking again. I can't seem to get the bulk head tight enough also looks like the connector from the bulk head to PVC is leaking as well (which is glued in). I think I'm done! Anyone want a 54g corner tank with all equipment and live stock?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Is the rubber gasket on the bulkhead?

Try some clear silicone around the bulk head. Maybe

Yes the rubber gasket is there just think more junk got under it but not sure yet. I just hooked the sump back up and leaving it as is right now to see if the water in the overflow goes down or not.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just to make sure, the gasket is on the "flange" side of the bulkhead, and NOT the nut side.
Yes Paul it's on the flange not nut lol. My game plan is to pull the sump back out and get the bulk heads off the best I can (might need to cut them off and use new ones). Once I get them off then clean that overflow well getting all that junk out of there. Once it's nice a clean I will then reinstall the bulk heads and reconnect the PVC

Just need a mental break from it right now. Also wife is on my case cause of the mess lol.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I was unable to get the bulkheads off. I had to go out so while I was out I picked up a cordless Dremel. This tool made quick work of getting those bulkheads off. Now time to clean to overflow well and dry it well before installing the new bulkheads (went with slips and not threaded ones this time).

IMG_20161205_163031.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Woo Hoo....Santa came early.....nice little tool. Glad to see you're on the mend.

My wife called me out on my main issue which I know is may main issue. I rush things way too much many time without a plan; figure it out as I go plan lol. This time I'm taking it slow and making sure to do everything correctly.